Guitar Player's Thread

Yep, like the line in signal the xlr input receives a mono input and puts them onto your two channels.
that aint ''real stereo'' because you have on both of your channels the same stuff.
I'm not talking about the signal which comes out of your speakers if you use amp simualtors like guitar rig or gear box.

As long as there is some kind of sound in both channels then I am happy.

First:
Stereo mics are something which arent standards in recording situations.
most of mics which are used to record vocals or guitars are mono anyhow.
Second:
If you really said that you have a mic which doenst have an xlr input you shouldnt record anything with that mic.
Third:
If you talked about your cable, get another one with two xlr jacks.
Last:
If you talked about a blue or pink mic with an intigrated cable which came with your little red taperecorder which you got for christmas look up ''Second''.

PS:
Put your pan poti in the center/unity position, not far left :p

Or am i completely mistaken and you just got line ins in your toneport?
Because than you should consider buying some mic preamp for proper recordings.

First:
Stereo mics are something which arent standards in recording situations.
most of mics which are used to record vocals or guitars are mono anyhow.
Second:
If you really said that you have a mic which doenst have an xlr input you shouldnt record anything with that mic.
Third:
If you talked about your cable, get another one with two xlr jacks.
Last:
If you talked about a blue or pink mic with an intigrated cable which came with your little red taperecorder which you got for christmas look up ''Second''.

PS:
Put your pan poti in the center/unity position, not far left :p

Or am i completely mistaken and you just got line ins in your toneport?
Because than you should consider buying some mic preamp for proper recordings.

:lol:

Well my mic has an XLR input, but it came with an XLR to 3.5mm line-in cable, it would work with an XLR-XLR cable but I have yet to buy one. My toneport is an UX1, so it has 1 instrument and 1 mic input. My original question was literally if the mono sound would be duplicated if I used XLR and I now know that it will.

:lol:

Well my mic has an XLR input, but it came with an XLR to 3.5mm line-in cable, it would work with an XLR-XLR cable but I have yet to buy one. My toneport is an UX1, so it has 1 instrument and 1 mic input. My original question was literally if the mono sound would be duplicated if I used XLR and I now know that it will.

ok, if nothings is broken it should be on both channels.

What can ProTools do that REAPER can't?

never used reaper.
But if you ask me about ableton live and logic :
Ableton just sounds pretty flat, it's sound engine is shit. And the mixer and the aux stuff in logic owns abletons poor ''mixer''.
Though, you really shouldnt produce music (at least not ''Guitar music'' with ableton live, it just sounds ..flat :lol: )

What can ProTools do that REAPER can't?

bus, for a start :p

i've tested Reaper, Cubase, Ableton, ProTools, ACID, Sonar, Audition and Logic. i think ProTools is very complete, user friendly, and intuitive. very easy to manage tracks, fx, busses, vst's.

I see.. Well, I'll give ProTools a go when/if i buy a Mac Pro tower for music production, don't see that happening anytime soon though. REAPER is plenty for me so far :)

Why get a Mac for music production?
All the winfags insist Windows is just as good.

That's why i said "If" lol. It's an old idea ive toyed with for years, but the more i learn about windows systems while using them, the more confident i am that i can make a windows system just as stable, if not more stable than a mac, while being able to pick better hardware for half the price lol. But we'll see, because by the time this becomes relevant to my economy and interest, Mac might have a better/equal offer.

I torrented logic but the file is fucking 50GB or some shit and I don't have the space to install it.

Too bad, I have to original Dvds :p

Why get a Mac for music production?
All the winfags insist Windows is just as good.

I tried both and windows turned out to be inferior.
But please dont start that shit again.
Winfags:
stick to windows , I don't mind.

The ONLY thing I do not like about protools is that you need to use their brand hardware with it, which is horribly overpriced.
A lot of my recording major friends at school praise logic like an ancient god.
Apparently it has every plugin you'd need and so many synth sounds built right in and they sound great

It has anything you need but still, I don't use the plugins which come with logic that often. They just dont sound as great as (for example) the plugins from the wave bundle :lol:
But Logic itself is awesome, i feel in love with mixer and the bus system, how you can connect anything yourself and so on :oops: :D So , you're visiting some recording school or do you just have friends at school who records music?

I'm reading more about REAPER, i havent worked with "busses", but reaper appears to support this fully from what i can tell.

http://www.reaper.fm/about.php

What think? As far as i can tell its a pretty slick deal for 60$(full license is only required if you're starting a business that's gonna earn over $20,000 gross per year).

I do open hand, to mute, grab strings, hybrid picking, tapping, without having to reposition my hand or waste milliseconds on opening it :p

It has anything you need but still, I don't use the plugins which come with logic that often. They just dont sound as great as (for example) the plugins from the wave bundle :lol:
But Logic itself is awesome, i feel in love with mixer and the bus system, how you can connect anything yourself and so on :oops: :D So , you're visiting some recording school or do you just have friends at school who records music?

I got logic express 8 on my iMac. I have only rendered our studio files through it...can't understand it for anything :lol: Link me to a quick tutorial or something to get started...I can't be arsed to google or youtube it now to see all those 100000000000 hits.