Guitar Player's Thread

Ha, I remember when the bald dude was on this site, asking for a drummer. He then posted again about 8 months later with a vid of a drummer they found. Tight playing!!

Here's a quick tone sample of my newly installed JACKSON JE-1000 with J-50BC.

Can't believe how awesome this thing sounds in person, through an amp. This is just in the mic input of a laptop!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
yo mitch u said the gainboost really makes no difference to turning the amp gain up, so a j 50 bc with a mm 04 will sound as good as that?

Ha, I remember when the bald dude was on this site, asking for a drummer. He then posted again about 8 months later with a vid of a drummer they found. Tight playing!!

Here's a quick tone sample of my newly installed JACKSON JE-1000 with J-50BC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvR32-9T7DI

Can't believe how awesome this thing sounds in person, through an amp. This is just in the mic input of a laptop!!!

Wow! Sounds pretty good, and as Zakk said your playing is extremely fucking clean dude. Awesome!

yo mitch u said the gainboost really makes no difference to turning the amp gain up, so a j 50 bc with a mm 04 will sound as good as that?

It really makes no difference? I've said before that the EMG PA-2 makes no difference and is just like having a gain switch like an amp, but the JE-1000 just transforms the sound completely. It sounds like it's got a tiny bit of wah on it now, in my opinion, and I love it to bits.

An MM-04 is the ESP (?) version of the JE-1000, so it sounds pretty similar.

I have a JE-1200 if anyone is interested, £65.

Mitch, what gauge strings do you use in D? Looks like you've got great control on those bends/vibrato

I just switched to DR 11-50! (And they taste great! :lol:). I thought I'd increase fanboyness and give them a go, and I've been playing it for about a week and they STILL sound brand new, it's incredible.

I used to use Ernie Ball 10's on this, but won't be using those again! I got a pack off Ebay for £4.99, free P&P, whereas the EB's were £6.50 for me in a shop!

Wow! Sounds pretty good, and as Zakk said your playing is extremely fucking clean dude. Awesome!

Thanks Jose! I will have to do a decent riff thing, but it's just finding the appropriate time to have the time alone! Might try tomorrow.

I used to use Ernie Ball 10's on this, but won't be using those again! I got a pack off Ebay for £4.99, free P&P, whereas the EB's were £6.50 for me in a shop!

I pay £12 for a pack of strings at my local shop :(

I've gotten strings off of Ebay before though, heaven. Will do again.

It's cool to hear that the JE-1000 actually makes that much of a difference, in the past years I've been turned on and off by the JE-1000 several times, almost bought 2 of them(custom made thingy), but in the end i'd probably just have ended up selling them, as while i love their lead tone, i despise the rythm tone :/

I just switched to DR 11-50! (And they taste great! :lol:). I thought I'd increase fanboyness and give them a go, and I've been playing it for about a week and they STILL sound brand new, it's incredible.

Yeah i figured you used 10s on that, either that or you have like super monster strength hands.

I love 11's too, but I miss the easy control of lighter strings

If my band wasn't so riff crazy then I'd probably step down to 10's

On that note I have been continually influencing my other guitarist to use better suited gear.

He used to use 9's in D standard and loved it (sounded poopty) but now I gradually stepped him up to 11's and he wont go back

He also used to swear by these strange Dava Picks which were like made of weird rubbery plastic except for the tip which was a harder plastic, and I showed him the ways of the dark side and got him hooked on the Jazz IIIs lol

Now if only I can convince him to give me his Ibanez V-blade in return
(that thing is such a fucking awesome workhorse-of-a guitar, I'm so mad they are discontinued!)

Hey guys, I was hoping to get your opinions on something.

After being not much of a pedal guy, I've decided to start trying out a good Overdrive pedal because of all the great things I've been hearing. But I'm pretty blind as to where to start in terms of which ones are the "best". I say "best" because I'm sure, like with most things in music, it all depends on one's taste. However, keeping that in mind, I'm hoping that anyone here who has experience can tell me what they've found to be true about them, and most suitable to their ears.

The ones I'm currently looking at are: Boss OD-3 and SD-1. MXR Wylde Overdrive and Fullbore. Ibanez TS9 (and TS9DX) and TS808.

I don't really know what the differences between OD3 and SD1 are, and the same with TS9 and 808. I've heard good things about the MXR Wylde. The Fullbore seems to have some cool features, like the noisegate and tone sweep options, but might be a bit too overcomplicated for my simple taste when it comes pedals and knobs.

EDIT: Further youtube research seems to have shown the Fullbore to sound like total shit, so that one is eliminated. And the OD-3 seems to be better than the SD-1, but I'm still not sure.

Now if only I can convince him to give me his Ibanez V-blade in return
(that thing is such a fucking awesome workhorse-of-a guitar, I'm so mad they are discontinued!)

I've always wondered about those, what pickups does it have? And is it a bolt-on?

I did explain that in the description, but no one ever reads that, do they.

I did :D
''I got a JE-1000!!!! Now I have the exact same guitar setup as Laiho in '99. Wish I still had the GP-1000 too. '':p

Nice playing actually. Can you play some blues licks, leads and stuff without that shredding/shredding style? Would be interesting to hear some guy like you play such stuff without getting super fast or using that kind of sweeping.
But again, pretty clean and tight playing playing.

Hey guys, I was hoping to get your opinions on something.

After being not much of a pedal guy, I've decided to start trying out a good Overdrive pedal because of all the great things I've been hearing. But I'm pretty blind as to where to start in terms of which ones are the "best". I say "best" because I'm sure, like with most things in music, it all depends on one's taste. However, keeping that in mind, I'm hoping that anyone here who has experience can tell me what they've found to be true about them, and most suitable to their ears.

The ones I'm currently looking at are: Boss OD-3 and SD-1. MXR Wylde Overdrive and Fullbore. Ibanez TS9 (and TS9DX) and TS808.

I don't really know what the differences between OD3 and SD1 are, and the same with TS9 and 808. I've heard good things about the MXR Wylde. The Fullbore seems to have some cool features, like the noisegate and tone sweep options, but might be a bit too overcomplicated for my simple taste when it comes pedals and knobs.

EDIT: Further youtube research seems to have shown the Fullbore to sound like total shit, so that one is eliminated. And the OD-3 seems to be better than the SD-1, but I'm still not sure.

I've heard really good things about Maxon's OD 808 version, and its most likely the one i'll go for. I'd go for a TS9 or 808 if i were you, the Boss OD pedals are probably great too but the TS line is really legendary for a reason. But as always, see if you can test them out before you buy them.

I've heard really good things about Maxon's OD 808 version, and its most likely the one i'll go for. I'd go for a TS9 or 808 if i were you, the Boss OD pedals are probably great too but the TS line is really legendary for a reason. But as always, see if you can test them out before you buy them.

Awesome, thanks. That does sound like a good plan. I haven't heard about Maxon's OD 808, but I'll check it out. And the TS808 and TS9 are definitely the ones I've heard the most about in terms of being "the best".

I remember that on their own forums, one of the guitarists from Scar Symmetry said that the TS808 (or maybe TS9) was one of the only pedals he used, both live and in the recording process. And I always liked their tone, especially on Holographic Universe.

Well as far as Scar as Symmetry's tone goes, Jonas Kjellgren has said

Hello I (Jonas Kjellgren) use Jackson or schecter guitars via boss-noisesupressor then ibanez tubescreamer into an Engl-Fireball(or Powerball). That's it!! Live I use whatever is avaible,Engl,5150,Mesa rectifier or Marshal Jcm2000..Most of the time I feel that I can get my sound with just about any hi-gain amp, just use the tubescreamer than I'm home
At the moment I'm using 010-056(daddario 7-stringkit), I use Mike Ammots pick,or grey jimdunlops
Cheers/Jonas

But you are right about it pushing your amp tubes. That's what OD is meant to do. I don't understand people who think it's a distortion pedal.

And I was checking out the Andy Sneap forums, and it appears that he says the Maxon OD 820 is the next best thing to the original 808, better than the TS9 or even 808 re-issue.