Guitar Player's Thread

whats the difference between overdrive and dirstortion? what are the best ways to use this effects?

I'm looking for bands that harmonize their leads/melodies in a more complex way than the usual "I play the same thing a "third/fifth lower". I'm talking about "the classical way" with coequal voices like in the beginning of this piece: or this punk intro.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the TS808 and TS9 are definitely the ones I've heard the most about in terms of being "the best".

TS808s are great! I used one in the studio once and recently bought a TS808 clone which has a slightly more transparent tone and it's awesome!

TS808s are great! I used one in the studio once and recently bought a TS808 clone which has a slightly more transparent tone and it's awesome!

Nice! I'm going to take Sneap's advice and try out the Maxon one to see if it really is the next best thing to the original 808. I imagine he knows what he's talking about, since he's a pretty amazing producer and player, and has owned all kinds of gear. Which one were you looking at?

Actually, it's pretty much the same

No, not really. I'm no gear/tech expert, but I think it's pretty clear to me that distortion pedals are meant to boost gain and pre-amp distortion.

Overdrives however, are meant to push the tubes for a warmer and more natural breakup, like you would get in pushing the volume, only without needing to do so. It doesn't necessarily give you more distortion (though it can). Rather, it gives it more of the "juice" and sweetness you get from driving the amp.

To me, a distortion pedal almost always makes the tone sound more aritificial, as well as dry and fizzy. Sometimes even thin and brittle. But that's my opinion.

so i ended up thinking they are the same except distortion has more gain, and which one to choose depends on how youre gonna use it...

Nice! I'm going to take Sneap's advice and try out the Maxon one to see if it really is the next best thing to the original 808. I imagine he knows what he's talking about, since he's a pretty amazing producer and player, and has owned all kinds of gear. Which one were you looking at?

You mean a maxon like in this video?

Did a comparison like that, liked the lutherdrive a bit more. still they are nice :D

Yeah i figured you used 10s on that, either that or you have like super monster strength hands.

I love 11's too, but I miss the easy control of lighter strings

If my band wasn't so riff crazy then I'd probably step down to 10's

On that note I have been continually influencing my other guitarist to use better suited gear.

He used to use 9's in D standard and loved it (sounded poopty) but now I gradually stepped him up to 11's and he wont go back

He also used to swear by these strange Dava Picks which were like made of weird rubbery plastic except for the tip which was a harder plastic, and I showed him the ways of the dark side and got him hooked on the Jazz IIIs lol

Are they green???? I think I have about 3 of those picks upstairs because my music teacher used to use them and so I bought some. They're bendy in the middle but stiffer on the tips, which is really weird...

And I think I used to use 9's in D too. Loved how easy it was, but it DID sound crap compared to these 11's!! I guess you just get too used to the softness of them and after a while, need something a bit tougher.

I did :D
''I got a JE-1000!!!! Now I have the exact same guitar setup as Laiho in '99. Wish I still had the GP-1000 too. '':p

Nice playing actually. Can you play some blues licks, leads and stuff without that shredding/shredding style? Would be interesting to hear some guy like you play such stuff without getting super fast or using that kind of sweeping.
But again, pretty clean and tight playing playing.

I can play blues licks that I copy from other people, if that counts...:lol:

But I do like Marty Friedman's leads on the album Introduction. It's mostly all clean guitar and it sounds amazing, so I'm not only into the shred stuff, but it's what I play the most.

so i ended up thinking they are the same except distortion has more gain, and which one to choose depends on how youre gonna use it...

Hmm, yes, but they're not really producted the same. Overdrive is like natural distortion caused by cranking the volume and making those tubes work, whereas distortion is digitally created at any volume. Kinda.

they were these ones

dava.jpg

they come multicolored, just random colors, not sorted by gauge or anything.
That's the only cool thing :lol:

You mean a maxon like in this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvEKdIoSnd8
Did a comparison like that, liked the lutherdrive a bit more. still they are nice :D

That Luther does sound really nice, but I think I personally liked the Maxon more. The Luther was a bit too bright (though more clarity) while the Maxon seemed to have slightly more growl, but that's just me. Though that guy was also using an extremely different rig than I have (ESP SV and 5150 with Mesa Recto cab).

People, I have a question. Probably no one here is a big Exodus fan, but do you have any idea how the fuck do they get such a sharp, aggressive and overall fucking balls to the wall tone? It's like they're just cutting you with a razorblade!

Look a this, this is LIVE! I've never seen a band get such a head crushing tone live!

And studio time, check in 44 Magnum Opus the riff where the guitars play alone, first each channel and then the two together at 0:29. PURE AWESOME!
Exodus Myspace

Maybe you don't like it, but even if you don't if you have any idea of how they get such an awesome tone please help me out!

Thanks Jose! I will have to do a decent riff thing, but it's just finding the appropriate time to have the time alone! Might try tomorrow.

Looking forward to it! Btw, how's your computer going, any luck fixing it or still fucked? At least were you able to take the stuff out of your hard drive or what?

Which clone is that? Because clones tend to be cheaper and if you say it sounds even more transparent I may even give it a go because I've been longing for one for long but they tend to change the tone too much for my taste.

And I think I used to use 9's in D too. Loved how easy it was, but it DID sound crap compared to these 11's!! I guess you just get too used to the softness of them and after a while, need something a bit tougher.

On my RR (D standard) I use 10-52 (tight and strong riffing but a bit easier bending strings and still cool sound) but in my rock band I tried to go down (8-38 or so in E) and was quite cool. Since I don't need that much drive there it was cool and the feel of the thin strings is quite nice when you don't need to play the crap out of them.

the result ends up to sound like its the same though, and i guess for metal, distotion's whats up

No.

People, I have a question. Probably no one here is a big Exodus fan, but do you have any idea how the fuck do they get such a sharp, aggressive and overall fucking balls to the wall tone? It's like they're just cutting you with a razorblade!

Look a this, this is LIVE! I've never seen a band get such a head crushing tone live!
Live tone
[/URL]

I'm no expert on Exodus, so I don't know if they use it live, but I know from Andy Sneap that they use a modded JCM800 for recording.

EDIT: They apparently also use a Marshall cab with the standard Celestion 75's, and an ESP V with EMG HZs.

Exodus has been around FOREVER so like I'm sure overtime they have used a shit ton of different amps but most recently for that album and live performance they are using Peavey XXX.

Quote from the guitarist Gary

Lee and I both run the JJ brand tubes. Best in the world. We each have a head with EL34's and with 6L6's. On the new record we used the el34 head with a Presonus parametric EQ. Other than that I use a gate to shut up the EQ, which I run in front of the input, not in the loop. Crunch channel for everything but clean stuff, I don't use the ultra. One thing you may not know about the XXX is when you plug in the footswitch ther loop acts as a boost even with nothing connected to it. That's how I boost my shit, you just set the send and return where you want them, activate the loop and instant boost. Without the footswitch , the send and returns are still active, you can get more volume by turning them up. But the more you crank them, the tone gets a bit brighter, so don't go crazy. Set 'em at about two o'clock and it's all good.

The marshall's are just for show in that DVD I guess lol the mic'd XXX's are on the sides of them