Guitar Player's Thread

My bass player plays alot of their stuff. Very technical, but alot of it is pretty bland to me. Just a bunch of trill picking and random notes to me =/ They have some good stuff though I suppose. But for tabs, try Rivers of gore. I don't remember if it was .net or what, but just type it in google and see what pops up.

Well, you may need a bit more ram to render DVD-quality video on you PC... Although the "why" of it is another question, a question I'm afraid to ask :p

Also, maybe stop using wmv since it's a pretty shitty format, and the filesize is too big. Try mpeg or mkv?

Mmmh... I think 4 gig should be enough... Does Youtube accept .mkv? Mpeg is really good but you can't do enough with it and I think the size wmv isn't that big. My 3gig vids had a size of 200mb after the rendering

^ Oh, then that's fine. I thought you meant 3GB AFTER rendering. >__<

Also, youtube converts everything to .flv or .mp4 at the end of the day anyway, iirc, so the quality is gonna be a lot shittier than the original regardless. I don't actually remember what UT accepts, but probably no MKV. I was thinking you were using it for sth else than that.

Unless I'm horribly wrong, in the end what matters most isn't the format but the output codec. H263/AVC is gonna look tons better than WMV9 regerdless of format. Or at least that's what my experience with DVD rips is telling me. I've never actually tried to do the video-editing like what you do, since my filming is nothing to showcase, and I can be satisfied if at least the sound is good.

On a completely different note, I'm thinking of buying the MXR Dime Distortion box. Anyone have any experience w/ it? Comments, critiques etc, sth that'd make me change my mind (and hopefully w/ suggestions, since I gotta pick a distortion pedal to use before Friday). I tried it in a shop, and it sounded really nice and clean (i.e. not like ass) with treble turned down and base turned up, and lots less dirty and also less complicated to use than Boss MT-2 or MXR Fullbore.

Yeah, you're right but the thing is that I have to use wmv as output format because all other formats won't reduce the size that much that it's under 200mb (I think that Youtubes max size is 200mb) so this is the reason why I use wmv. Btw. is there any chance to remove the black bars in SV when you have videos with 640*480 resolution? When you use widescreen as output format the black bars on the left and right side are smaller but then your video looks shitty because it's stretched.

Well, again, I have little experience with rendering, but I'm sure you could take care of the black bars if you mess around with output resolution...

Hmm. What do you do when guitar stops being fun 'cause you feel like everything sounds like shit?

/frustrated

I'm in the same situation.

You put/download a Paul Gilbert vid, watch it, pay attention and practice. PG does wonders. At least for me.

:lol:!
you download so much stuff but you havent got any good daw?
I also love your extreme panning :D

What's wrong with extreme panning? Sure you won't use it for everything, but for rythm guitars when I have two I pretty much never pan them less than 70/-70 and usually I just go for 100. It gets messy if you put less imho. If they're really different rythms or one is to go over the other then we may be talking of other things, but for your usual basic two rythm tracks what's wrong with paning them hard?

You are not allowed to say that :lol:

Yeah, you're right but the thing is that I have to use wmv as output format because all other formats won't reduce the size that much that it's under 200mb (I think that Youtubes max size is 200mb) so this is the reason why I use wmv.

YouTube's max size is 2gb a vid.

WMV is bad sometimes yes, but the compression is good and I don't have any problems with it yet.

Btw. is there any chance to remove the black bars in SV when you have videos with 640*480 resolution?

No.

650*480 is a 4:3 aspect ratio, meaning that it is almost a square.

YouTube's video player is 16:9 (HD), so it will automatically add black bars. I remember back in the days when there were no 16:9 only 4:3.

When you use widescreen as output format the black bars on the left and right side are smaller but then your video looks shitty because it's stretched.

Setup a profile with 1280x720 in Vegas (Alt+Enter), I have this as default:

10p6e7r.png

..and my render settings:

apistl.png

Then you can put all of your guitar track-videos (lots of videos in 1) in a 16:9 template. This way you get more room to work with.

If you want to have one video taking up all the 16:9 screen, you can either..

a) Crop the video to fit. This will make you loose alot of vertical pixels tho.

b) Get a 16:9 webcam (but they all suck) or a handheld, which is expensive.

What's wrong with extreme panning? Sure you won't use it for everything, but for rythm guitars when I have two I pretty much never pan them less than 70/-70 and usually I just go for 100. It gets messy if you put less imho. If they're really different rythms or one is to go over the other then we may be talking of other things, but for your usual basic two rythm tracks what's wrong with paning them hard?

Nothing wrong with extreme panning, but you can achieve a good stereo image with the other methods i mentioned.
Anyway, I also pan like I want and doesnt use much stereo imager fx and if I want to even I do the *extreme* panning but I personally started disliking it especially when it comes to drums.
Well it's just a matter of taste, that's what I say, but some people will tell you that some production and sound/stereo images can only be created by other means. That might be the truth :D

I just bought a Bass because of this situation :lol:

meeh that's what I did several months ago and turned out good because I had no Guitar in my apartment (I just moved out) but it started to be shit when I realised that my Bass playing skills were frustratingly bad.

This is how I usually pan things

2 Rhythm Guitars: 100% L+R
-or but not often-
4 Rhythm Guitars: 100% L+R, 75% L+R

Leads: Centered unless for effect
Harmonized Leads: 30-45% L+R

Bass Guitar: Centered

Drums (I pan drummers perspective, reverse for audience)
Overheads: 100% L+R
Snare + Kick: Center
Hi-Hat: 45-55% L
Ride: 45-55% R
Tom 1: 25% L
Tom 2: 10% L - 10%R
Tom 3: 30% R
Tom 4: 45%-60% R

Vocals: Centered, or for doubles, extras, ect anywhere between 60%L+R

Whatever works best and sounds best for your music...is best. I found that 2nd+ opinions are very helpful because sometimes I get so caught in mixing that i totally loose focus and cant judge the mix objectively

Whatever works best and sounds best for your music...is best. I found that 2nd+ opinions are very helpful because sometimes I get so caught in mixing that i totally loose focus and cant judge the mix objectively

That's how I do it too (drummers perspective & the panning) except for the toms (because I only use 2 toms but same panning).
I hate it when the floor tom/last tom on the right side is panned 100% right/left unless it's a really big drum kit with loads of toms.
My problem is that most of the drummers that I record are recorded with just 5 mics (bass,snare,snare bottom,2overheads) so I try to get a panning like that and it kinda works out.
Need better mics and more mics for better recordings :erk:

Yeah its a pain in the ass to get good sounding real drums. I'm recording drums this weekend for my band and It's going to be quite the hassle.

Especially when drummers think they know everything and wont take advice recording advice from me lol

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DX08nQows0&playnext_from=TL&videos=92flY_SSEig[/ame]

always wanted to learn to play one of these =]

Thx! Will try it in my next video!

This is how I usually pan things

2 Rhythm Guitars: 100% L+R
-or but not often-
4 Rhythm Guitars: 100% L+R, 75% L+R

Leads: Centered unless for effect
Harmonized Leads: 30-45% L+R

Bass Guitar: Centered

Vocals: Centered, or for doubles, extras, ect anywhere between 60%L+R

I think that it sounds terrible when you pan your guitars 100%... This is hoe I pan my instruments:

RYthm Guitars: -+60 - 75%
Lead Guitars: -30-35%
Bass: -15%
Keys: 0%
Keys Lead: +30%
harmonized Keys: -+40%
Drums: I use the settings from superior drummer