Guitar Player's Thread

Nothing wrong with extreme panning, but you can achieve a good stereo image with the other methods i mentioned.
Anyway, I also pan like I want and doesnt use much stereo imager fx and if I want to even I do the *extreme* panning but I personally started disliking it especially when it comes to drums.
Well it's just a matter of taste, that's what I say, but some people will tell you that some production and sound/stereo images can only be created by other means. That might be the truth :D

Drums are a totally different thing, I was talking about guitars.

This is how I usually pan things

2 Rhythm Guitars: 100% L+R
-or but not often-
4 Rhythm Guitars: 100% L+R, 75% L+R

Leads: Centered unless for effect
Harmonized Leads: 30-45% L+R

Bass Guitar: Centered

Drums (I pan drummers perspective, reverse for audience)
Overheads: 100% L+R
Snare + Kick: Center
Hi-Hat: 45-55% L
Ride: 45-55% R
Tom 1: 25% L
Tom 2: 10% L - 10%R
Tom 3: 30% R
Tom 4: 45%-60% R

Vocals: Centered, or for doubles, extras, ect anywhere between 60%L+R

Whatever works best and sounds best for your music...is best. I found that 2nd+ opinions are very helpful because sometimes I get so caught in mixing that i totally loose focus and cant judge the mix objectively

That would be it for me too. Maybe a bit more for the doubled leads and doubled vocals, but depending on the song.

That's how I do it too (drummers perspective & the panning) except for the toms (because I only use 2 toms but same panning).
I hate it when the floor tom/last tom on the right side is panned 100% right/left unless it's a really big drum kit with loads of toms.
My problem is that most of the drummers that I record are recorded with just 5 mics (bass,snare,snare bottom,2overheads) so I try to get a panning like that and it kinda works out.
Need better mics and more mics for better recordings :erk:

¿:ill:?

I think that it sounds terrible when you pan your guitars 100%... This is hoe I pan my instruments:

RYthm Guitars: -+60 - 75%
Lead Guitars: -30-35%
Bass: -15%
Keys: 0%
Keys Lead: +30%
harmonized Keys: -+40%
Drums: I use the settings from superior drummer

Why would you pan bass and leads??? What's the point? One of the things that pisses me off most about some live recordings is when they put all guitars like they were the same and they leave the solo as paned as the rythm bits of the lead player, I hate that.

Lol this one Video student at my school put this together for me, a "music video" with footage from a show last November.

Its kind of funny though because a lot of the time the video performance does not match up with the recording because I think he used random clips in some spots. It reminds me of like a badly dubbed Chinese movie.

My favorite bad dub being the other guitarist's solo at 3:50 :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Drums are a totally different thing, I was talking about guitars.

¿:ill:?

that's why I said that I dont like it anymore the extreme way when it comes to drums. Panning the guitar is a different thing indeed, I use it how I like and even sometimes the ''100% L/R'' way. Like I said, anway I tend to use the extreme panning not that often when I'm mixing guitars too.
Like I said :p
I was just expressing my opinion about panning but some people will tell you that some sounds and (metal-)productions can be only achieved by using certain techniques and not just panning. I have not much experience with that kind of stuff but I guess these people are right(because those guys who told me and showed me that kind of stuff were pretty good recording/mixing etc). But I'm repeating myself so, never mind.

wat?

if it's the ''panning like that part'' :
I was referring to Lowberg's way of panning the drums especially the toms.

Why would you pan bass and leads??? What's the point? One of the things that pisses me off most about some live recordings is when they put all guitars like they were the same and they leave the solo as paned as the rythm bits of the lead player, I hate that.
I tend to pan the leads too, depends on the song, but panning the bass is something that rarely fits.It fits Funk and motown stuff I think but even then.. I like to have my bass in the middle but if somebody likes to have it on the right or left side..matter of taste :p

I don't pan bass all the time. In some or most of my recordings I have one rythm guitar louder than the other because there's often a "stronger" rythm guitar with more lead parts in it. I used to have the bass paned to the side where the weaker rythm guitar is as some kind of a backing...to achieve a better volume balance
With the lead guitar it's nearly the same... I pan the lead guitar because I want to have a good balance between lead and rythm that everybody can hear what the rythm guitar plays under a solo. I've heard a lot of songs where the lead guitar isn't panned and too loud that you can't hear what the rythm guitars play. So when you pan the leads you can clearly hear what the lead AND the rythm guitar is playing.

Not that I have seen, no.

And this version is apparently like over 1gb. You can try the demo for free. Haven't been arsed to try it myself.

5.2 is still chopping the onions for me.

This newest version actually looks very cool! I wonder if the RSE is any good. Honestly though, guitar pro 4 (or even 3) is good enough for me and are much smaller file sizes!

Awesome news man! Can't wait to hear it. Are you planning on releasing it digitally through iTunes or something?

I can relate to your excitement!

I've got a gig tonight at this tiny bar in my collegetown tonight. It's going to be packed and crazy as all hell. We are the last band to play so there's a good chance I might be a little drunk by the time we start lol wonder how that will turn out

Awesome news man! Can't wait to hear it. Are you planning on releasing it digitally through iTunes or something?

I can relate to your excitement!

I've got a gig tonight at this tiny bar in my collegetown tonight. It's going to be packed and crazy as all hell. We are the last band to play so there's a good chance I might be a little drunk by the time we start lol wonder how that will turn out

We are still considering how. Atleast print some CDs and sell them. We are currently planning some tours and considering getting a guy to manage us and book shows for us :) Yeah, it's fucking awesome! never been in this situation before :D

Good luck for the gig man!

lowberg and matias with albums on the way

i am excite

:kickass::kickass::kickass:

^Congrats dude, looks it's working well, and fast also, good job!

I tend to pan the leads too, depends on the song, but panning the bass is something that rarely fits.It fits Funk and motown stuff I think but even then.. I like to have my bass in the middle but if somebody likes to have it on the right or left side..matter of taste :p

Panning the leads, dunno, if they're not doubled I feel weird doing it, I don't like them sounding more on one side than the other, but maybe it fits for some types of music.

I don't pan bass all the time. In some or most of my recordings I have one rythm guitar louder than the other because there's often a "stronger" rythm guitar with more lead parts in it. I used to have the bass paned to the side where the weaker rythm guitar is as some kind of a backing...to achieve a better volume balance
With the lead guitar it's nearly the same... I pan the lead guitar because I want to have a good balance between lead and rythm that everybody can hear what the rythm guitar plays under a solo. I've heard a lot of songs where the lead guitar isn't panned and too loud that you can't hear what the rythm guitars play. So when you pan the leads you can clearly hear what the lead AND the rythm guitar is playing.

But even if you don't put the rythm guitars with leads in louder you still can hear it cleraly if you get a good balance imho. And for the solos you don't have to put them too loud, just by centering them and giving them a little bit more volume than the rythms you get them clear and over the rest but still keeping the rest audible. About mini-leads and such I find the best way to do so (and except some parts what it's done in the studio most of the times, at least in rock/metal) is record that lead/melody on a separate track and pan it and raise the volume of that specific part, but not the whole rythm track. But that's me.

We are the last band to play so there's a good chance I might be a little drunk by the time we start lol wonder how that will turn out

Be drunk enough to not remember how it turns out :p But yeah, playing last sucks cause you don't get to drink much until the afterparty. I happen to have a gig tonight too, it's random pick, I hope we get to be somewhere in the middle... I get too sloppy if I've been drinking, and I can't allow that now that I've moved from back-violin to lead-guitar part.

@phenom: Cool stuff! Good luck with the release and gigs and whatnot. Can't wait to hear your stuff.

oh my god that show was the most fun I've ever played.

People were going nuts, we ended with an original power ballad called "raped by a dragon" and then went into Don't Stop Believing and the whole bar was dancing and singing it was fucking ridiculous

I think im deaf now,

Video to come sooon