Guitar Player's Thread

I would never even put my Jackson in an ESP case...that is blasphemy!!!!

It's gayer than AIDS.

Do what I do, get a case made for it:

gear002.jpg

s

Hi guys,i actually have a noob question...

I have problems with the ring out,especially when i play sweeps but it happens also with other kind of things.
Can you give some hints about it?What can i do to avoid that ring out?Is there a sort of tecnique or whatever?

Thank you

Let go of the previous note as soon as you reach the next note. Simple.

...yes i said it was a noob question but i know how to sweep. I Know what to do with my finger but i think the ring out is caused when i raise my finger from the fretboard once i've picked the note...
yeah the palm muting can be helpful but i have to find a way to use it otherwise i'll mute even the string i have to pick.

edith: and also,how do you mute the strings when you play a sweep and your going up the strings?

...yes i said it was a noob question but i know how to sweep. I Know what to do with my finger but i think the ring out is caused when i raise my finger from the fretboard once i've picked the note...
yeah the palm muting can be helpful but i have to find a way to use it otherwise i'll mute even the string i have to pick.

edith: and also,how do you mute the strings when you play a sweep and your going up the strings?

muting can also be done with the left hand fingers when it comes to sweeping. when you lift your fingers from the fretboard, make sure they still touch the string even though they are off the wood. it's a very precise move so you're gonna have to practice this extremely slow and then build up from there.

...yes i said it was a noob question .....how do you mute the strings when you play a sweep and your going up the strings?

It is not a noob question some advanced guitarists can't sweep cleanly, they even have trouble doing it on the fretboard.

The above replies are all correct.

You have to learn extremely slowly to start then increase the tempo on your metronome gradually.

As you lift your finger from the sixth string mute it with the heel of your palm, then when you lift it from the fifth string roll your palm or slide it down ever so slightly to mute the fifth string and do the same with the fourth string, etc.

Don't forget to roll back/lift your palm as you fret the strings on the way back.

You will move/roll your right hand palm in sync with the left hand fingers you are lifting. The right hand is just important as your left hand when it comes to clean playing.

For other than sweeping I sometimes also mute with the left hand thumb and/or fingers to deaden the strings not played.

It may take you a long time to learn but it is worth it if you end up doing it properly.

Remember to start slow, if you are not playing it right at slow speed slow it down even more until you can. Then and only then increase your speed. If you can't play it properly slow, you definitely won't be able to play it properly fast.

s

^^

exactly. it's all about proper practice. if you're going to be practicing something over and over again and you're taking shortcuts by not practicing it slow enough, you will most definitely carry on your mistakes to the faster speeds. in other words: there are no shortcuts for practicing guitar. all the masters spent years and years practicing their asses off. if you want to get to their level, be prepared to put in the same determination.

sweeping is ghey, boring and has no practical value in metal besides wanking off and using it as a be all end all for young guitarists.

That may be true to some and you probably think the same with dive bombs, tapping, etc.

I don't use any of the above in my playing, hell these days I don't even solo, I do play leads though.

Remember in the old days when every song had a guitar solo instead of a black man speaking to the rhythm? :lol:

Just because the trend is not to play these old techniques it doesn't mean people are not entitled to learn them.

Why bother with Martial Arts when you can buy a gun?

Some people like to learn.

s

lol. don't take him seriously. he's full of shit. i remember when he would post vids of himself sweeping and tapping and being all proud that he can do it. and of course it's something to be proud about if you can properly execute it.

as for it having no practical value, that is completely up to the composer. sweeping is playing arpeggios. arpeggios sound WONDERFUL imo. it's a great melodic tool.