Guitar Player's Thread

do you play guitar for a living?

Not for a living :lol: but we have toured the country.

Every Metal muso in Aus. has a day job or other means of making a living.

do you carry your rack and amp w u?

I carry effects processor, leads, strings & tools in a small backpack that I bring with me. Note: leave your screwdrivers/sharp tools in your main luggage they don't allow them in carry on luggage. Pedalboard fits in my larger backpack that goes in the undercarriage.

There is usually an arrangement that we use the support/headline band's backline and drums. The same goes when we play with other bands visiting Sydney. Dismember for instance used our guitar and bass rigs.

I've had a few guitarists use my amp & quad and one guy even used my effects, I had to tell him which buttons to stomp on for a clean and distorted sound.

s

Not for a living :lol: but we have toured the country.

Every Metal muso in Aus. has a day job or other means of making a living.

I carry effects processor, leads, strings & tools in a small backpack that I bring with me. Note: leave your screwdrivers/sharp tools in your main luggage they don't allow them in carry on luggage. Pedalboard fits in my larger backpack that goes in the undercarriage.

There is usually an arrangement that we use the support/headline band's backline and drums. The same goes when we play with other bands visiting Sydney. Dismember for instance used our guitar and bass rigs.

I've had a few guitarists use my amp & quad and one guy even used my effects, I had to tell him which buttons to stomp on for a clean and distorted sound.

s

haha so you go on planes to tour the country got it

so you use multi effects? what was the coolest gig u played like the coolest liene up?

^ that's awesome. just out of curiosity, how long did it take for you to become comfortable with reading notation for classical guitar? cuz I'd really like to start teaching myself. I already know the names of the notes on the fretboard and I can read notation for the treble cleff fairly well. But applying that to guitar is what I'm kind of dreading just because of the many different positions/octaves there are on guitar.

I had the same exact thoughts as you when I started my jazz lessons but I have an awesome teacher who helped me out a lot. For positions/octaves it pretty much lays it out for you in the notation, and lots of times there's some fingerings and string numbers which helps a lot. but for the reading part if you know the notes on the guitar and on the treble clef then just get some scale charts and read through those, just do get a standard C major one because if you know that in and out then you can pretty much read everything out there, most classical pieces don't have key signatures because there's so much going on, it's not in any particular scale. what kind of stuff are you wanting to teach yourself?

oh and of course going through the berklee theory books helps looooooads, boring as all hell but i've come to like it

so you use multi effects?

Yeah, I have a Zoom 9050, it's a half rack but I just place it on the floor beside my quad, I only really use clean and distorted. I know I should experiment more with sounds but I haven't gotten around to it.

what was the coolest gig u played like the coolest line up?

We mainly play with local band's it's hard to say, here's some of the line ups:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/lycanthia/353020-lycanthia-gigs-news.html

Our best shows are in Sydney, we've built up a following and they really get into our stuff and that's always a good feeling.

When we played with Dismember in Brisbane their fans just stood there, they didn't know our stuff so didn't physically get into it but they bought our CD's after the show. It's always harder playing away from home, the crowd don't know you and you have to do it more often to build a following.

A few members left so we did no gigs for over a year - that sucked!

We were also billed with Paradise Lost and Mayhem but both tours were cancelled, the promotor feared not enough people would turn up so pulled the plug at the last minute. :(

Atm we're concentrating on recording, last year we recruited three new members so you can imagine the setback to both shows and CD.

I just finished recording my guitar parts yesterday for our next CD and next will be the editing which could take just as long as the recording process.

s

Lesson One: Forget everything you learned about sweeping from Alexi Laiho. He sucks.

Lesson Two: Start off ridiculously slow. Even if you think it is too slow for you, it probably isn't. Remember to palm mute. Sweep picking shouldn't require much movement from your right hand.

Lesson Three: Learn how to play a barre chord. No one gives a shit how good you can sweep pick if you can't even play a simple barre chord progression.

Truth.

:lol:
I've seen only a video of alexi teaching how to sweep and i thought that the way he mutes the strings when he goes up was a pretty good tecnique but anyway :D

The lesson three is because barrè chords are linked with sweeps or it's just a way to tell me a sort of "If you wanna run,you have to walk first" :)

And yeah i think the lesson two is the point...sometimes i really don't have the patience to play some licks at such a ridiculous speed.Got to start doing it i suppose

I'm sure if I listen to more tracks, the guitar playing will suck me in anyway.

After one too many line up changes Dungeon dissolved and became LORD which was Tim's solo side project. They still play Dungeon songs live.

A few line up changes later and quite recently they did a Kylie cover and a piss-take of her film clips.

s

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same exact thoughts as you when I started my jazz lessons but I have an awesome teacher who helped me out a lot. For positions/octaves it pretty much lays it out for you in the notation, and lots of times there's some fingerings and string numbers which helps a lot. but for the reading part if you know the notes on the guitar and on the treble clef then just get some scale charts and read through those, just do get a standard C major one because if you know that in and out then you can pretty much read everything out there, most classical pieces don't have key signatures because there's so much going on, it's not in any particular scale. what kind of stuff are you wanting to teach yourself?

oh and of course going through the berklee theory books helps looooooads, boring as all hell but i've come to like it

what exactly are scale charts? what is their purpose?

I want to learn classical/baroque pieces in the likes of Bach and Vivaldi (although playing Vivaldi on guitar would never do it justice the way a violin does). And also some Spanish Classical pieces.

I have this book called "Pumping Nylon: The Classical Guitarist's Technique Handbook". I guess I'll start delving into that...and maybe try to find those berklee theory books online.

Although, lol. I just realized I don't even have a classical guitar yet. Practicing to read notation on electric should be fine for now though.

After one too many line up changes Dungeon dissolved and became LORD which was Tim's solo side project. They still play Dungeon songs live.

A few line up changes later and quite recently they did a Kylie cover and a piss-take of her film clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1i3cBS2kx8

s

umm....lol? Powerchords aren't very convincing. I'd prefer original compositions.

Yeah, I have a Zoom 9050, it's a half rack but I just place it on the floor beside my quad, I only really use clean and distorted. I know I should experiment more with sounds but I haven't gotten around to it.

We mainly play with local band's it's hard to say, here's some of the line ups:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/lycanthia/353020-lycanthia-gigs-news.html

Our best shows are in Sydney, we've built up a following and they really get into our stuff and that's always a good feeling.

When we played with Dismember in Brisbane their fans just stood there, they didn't know our stuff so didn't physically get into it but they bought our CD's after the show. It's always harder playing away from home, the crowd don't know you and you have to do it more often to build a following.

A few members left so we did no gigs for over a year - that sucked!

We were also billed with Paradise Lost and Mayhem but both tours were cancelled, the promotor feared not enough people would turn up so pulled the plug at the last minute. :(

Atm we're concentrating on recording, last year we recruited three new members so you can imagine the setback to both shows and CD.

I just finished recording my guitar parts yesterday for our next CD and next will be the editing which could take just as long as the recording process.

s

well thats great dude, mortal sin came to town recently.. and to have a following is really cool, i hope my band will have one someday :p Mayhem gig would have been godly..

http://www.mediafire.com/?hzztghnmz0m

New Paul Gilbert album released in Japan, on sale in Europe in August I think. That's the title track!

hmmm...I gotta say, it seems to lack direction; or at least it doesn't own up to other songs he's written. Also the effects-laden tone throughout the whole song is a turn off, imo. Let's hope the other tracks have a more raw tone to them.

umm....lol? Powerchords aren't very convincing. I'd prefer original compositions.

There's only so much you can do with a cover if you want it intact, they've always thrown them in to the set and I recall learning this one.

I prefer Dungeon over LORD, the new direction is too soft for my taste but the Kylie song was nicely done.

well thats great dude, mortal sin came to town recently..

That was a great gig too, the venue sold out and it's always good to play to a lot of people, when a few people start getting into it, it tends to be contagious.

to have a following is really cool, i hope my band will have one someday :p Mayhem gig would have been godly..

You have to be very determined and gig a lot. Some of our audience aren't into the genre (nor am I really) but they like our shows.

Yeah we were quite curious to see how the Mayhem show would've gone, their guitarist had just left prior to the tour.

s

Last edited by a moderator:
what exactly are scale charts? what is their purpose?

I want to learn classical/baroque pieces in the likes of Bach and Vivaldi (although playing Vivaldi on guitar would never do it justice the way a violin does). And also some Spanish Classical pieces.

I have this book called "Pumping Nylon: The Classical Guitarist's Technique Handbook". I guess I'll start delving into that...and maybe try to find those berklee theory books online.

Although, lol. I just realized I don't even have a classical guitar yet. Practicing to read notation on electric should be fine for now though.

Oh well for scale charts i have the Andre Segovia (the godfather) diatonic scale charts which goes through different scales and helps you with the technique, mostly the right hand with different strokes and fingereings. it just gets you acquianted with basic classical stuff

bah stuff like bach/vivaldi etc. are so intolerably boring with guitar it's sad and i hate that kind of stuff...check out Garoto, Marco Pereira and other brazilian guitarists they are outstanding. yea i think i've heard of pumping iron, it should do you well, if you really want to get into it technique is everything...it's very very precise and scientific almost. but yeah i was doing this all on a steel string acoustic for a while but i found an amazinggggg yamaha classical guitar for like 175 bucks and i love it, it's outstanding.

:worship:notworthy:worship:

They have them and a few of his others in stock at Amazon .

51KQ4EMV28L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Al-Di-Meola-Arpeggios-Instructional/dp/0793526779"]http://www.amazon.com/Al-Di-Meola-Arpeggios-Instructional/dp/0793526779[/ame]

s

Ahaha im sorry for no pics guys, but i finally got my metal hair cut today so I got other things to worry about :)

Tomorrow I guess :D

Oh and you guys are discussing cases there ?
Im really impressed woth the cases the Rondo Guitars come in.
Very nice quality and good looks, but probably not the most durable cases you could get.
They look way better than on the pictures though.