Guitar Player's Thread

so metal isn't supposed to be melodic??

My previous band was very melodic and into sweeping.

I played on this track:

A Japanese company lifted the tracks from Changing Moods EP added a few other Dungeon songs and packaged it as Demolition.

Let me know what you think.

If you really want to hear some cool guitar look for the instrumental title track called 'Changing Moods', we had Virgil Donati play drums for that one.

Can't find a link for it, I think it's unavailable for sale but there could be a torrent of it somewhere.
dontknow.gif
;)

s

Last edited by a moderator:
so metal isn't supposed to be melodic??

huh? i never mentioned melodic anywhere, if melodic was in the definition of metal then there wouldn't be melodic death metal

clearly bands like repungant, putrid pile etc. are not "melodic"

i just have a problem with everyone thinking that sweeping is uber cool, yes of course i thought that as well but i grew up. theres really cool ways to use sweeping like what frank gambale, shawn lane, michael romeo have done but for the most part it's the same two/three patterns and shapes used in the same way

I played on this track:

Paradise - Dungeon

A Japanese company lifted the tracks from Changing Moods EP added a few other Dungeon songs and packaged it as Demolition.

If you really want to hear some cool guitar look for the instrumental title track called 'Changing Moods', we had Virgil Donati play drums for that one.

Can't find a link for it, I think it's unavailable for sale but there could be a torrent of it somewhere.
dontknow.gif
;)

s

Omg this was your band?
I love you

I played on this track:

Paradise - Dungeon

dontknow.gif
;)

s

totally dig the guitars (even tho the tone was a bit weird). I'm a big fan of harmonies so I definitely enjoyed it. But the vocals is what makes me go :erk:. I'm pretty picky when it comes to music, tbh. But I'm sure if I listen to more tracks, the guitar playing will suck me in anyway. Same thing happened with Sinergy and (some of) Galneryus.

huh? i never mentioned melodic anywhere, if melodic was in the definition of metal then there wouldn't be melodic death metal

clearly bands like repungant, putrid pile etc. are not "melodic"

i just have a problem with everyone thinking that sweeping is uber cool, yes of course i thought that as well but i grew up. theres really cool ways to use sweeping like what frank gambale, shawn lane, michael romeo have done but for the most part it's the same two/three patterns and shapes used in the same way

I think you're overlooking the fact that sweeping is a huge part of melodic metal in general. yeah I know everyone thinks it's uber cool at some point, but so what? there are so many techniques like that. I have a drummer friend who barely plays guitar but he knows how to tap on it just cuz it impresses people. The point is, sweeping still has a lot of compositional value in the metal genre. Just because everyone loves to do it doesn't make it bad. It's like you're tying to be cool by being uncool.

Just get a Jackson one.

I would never even put my Jackson in an ESP case...that is blasphemy!!!!

haha the jackson one looks too much! plus ill erase the esp sign and thats it :cool:

It's gayer than AIDS.

Do what I do, get a case made for it:

gear002.jpg

s

what? you went to a custom shop and told them to make a guitar case 4 ya?

Hi guys,i actually have a noob question...

I have problems with the ring out,especially when i play sweeps but it happens also with other kind of things.
Can you give some hints about it?What can i do to avoid that ring out?Is there a sort of tecnique or whatever?

Thank you

dampener = solution for your problem :tickled:

what? you went to a custom shop and told them to make a guitar case 4 ya?

Yeah, pretty much, I still have the original case and it's a bit worse for wear just from regular trips to rehearsal, it definitely wouldn't last our baggage handlers so I had a flight case made.

Our bassist replaced his damaged case recently with a new standard case and it got quite damaged on a one hour plane trip. Those standard thin wooden (cardboard) style cases just don't last.

Quite a few years back the very first flight I took the case (pictured) on, they put a decent dent in it. It looked like the baggage handler would've dropped it from some distance onto something with a sharp corner.

It survived all the following trips pretty well. I almost have a feeling when they see a new case they christen it with some damage.

dampener = solution for your problem :tickled:

or loosely tie a sock around the nut.

s

Yeah, pretty much, I still have the original case and it's a bit worse for wear just from regular trips to rehearsal, it definitely wouldn't last our baggage handlers so I had a flight case made.

Our bassist replaced his damaged case recently with a new standard case and it got quite damaged on a one hour plane trip. Those standard thin wooden (cardboard) style cases just don't last.

Quite a few years back the very first flight I took the case (pictured) on, they put a decent dent in it. It looked like the baggage handler would've dropped it from some distance onto something with a sharp corner.

It survived all the following trips pretty well. I almost have a feeling when they see a new case they christen it with some damage.
so how much was it? cant you carry the guitar as carry on in the plane? :Spin:

or loosely tie a sock around the nut.

i put a (howdoyousayit?) hair band aroun the strings, works orgasmicly great! :hotjump:

I have heard of stories on US forums where you can ask the steward(ess) to mind your guitar in their section up the front of the plane. I personally wouldn't risk it in case they don't allow it on the plane especially if it's in a big square case.

Do not ever put your guitar in a soft case to travel in the plane undercarriage, I've heard one story of a Gibson going from the US to Aus and arrived with a crack in the neck.

There was a newspaper story here not so long ago, a girl was not permitted to take her violin on board, our violinists have never had an issue with it, their violin cases fit into the above compartment. The genius did not have a case for it, it was quite expensive and of course it got damaged. She was trying to claim some sort of compensation from the airlines - good luck with that!

The price of a hard case depends on who makes it and what type of case you want. A road case with wooden sides and steel structure is cheapest but of course weighs more.

You'd want a flight case to weigh as little as possible as airlines charge by the kilogram.

Mine has plastic sides each sheet is hollow with some sort of ribbing inside and the structure is aluminium. I also went for the high density padding and you don't have to have custom fit as much as what I did, you dont need all that area between body and neck to be padded as long as it holds the guitar and neck in place. I also had the foam coated with a purple finish, it stops it somewhat from deteriorating. Should I get another I'll have a cutaway section around the neck so that I can dig my hand in to pick it up, I can see where my long plucking fingernails have wore out little bits of it.

To give you a fair indication the guitar is not a neck through Jackson but the top of the bolt on varieties (KE3) and the case was around half the cost.

My bassist doesn't have one but thinks it's worth it as he's already been through two standard cases and will need to buy another. Even still three standard cases are cheaper than mine, it will depend on how much travelling you intend to do and weigh up the cost vs. benefit.

When travelling always remove or loosen your strings so there's no tension on the neck.

s

thanks,
I have heard of stories on US forums where you can ask the steward(ess) to mind your guitar in their section up the front of the plane. I personally wouldn't risk it in case they don't allow it on the plane especially if it's in a big square case.
I did that once, but it was a gigbag, not hardshell.
The price of a hard case depends on who makes it and what type of case you want. A road case with wooden sides and steel structure is cheapest but of course weighs more.
To give you a fair indication the guitar is not a neck through Jackson but the top of the bolt on varieties (KE3) and the case was around half the cost.

? haha numbers please :Spin:

EDIT: will this one be as good as ur case?

images

Hi guys,i actually have a noob question...

I have problems with the ring out,especially when i play sweeps but it happens also with other kind of things.
Can you give some hints about it?What can i do to avoid that ring out?Is there a sort of tecnique or whatever?

Thank you

Lesson One: Forget everything you learned about sweeping from Alexi Laiho. He sucks.

Lesson Two: Start off ridiculously slow. Even if you think it is too slow for you, it probably isn't. Remember to palm mute. Sweep picking shouldn't require much movement from your right hand.

Lesson Three: Learn how to play a barre chord. No one gives a shit how good you can sweep pick if you can't even play a simple barre chord progression.

Truth.

lawl

i've come to realize that i'm growing away from electric playing, after getting way more into jazz, opera and classical stuff and with my jazz lessons and only playing acoustic i kind of like it a little better. maybe just because it's new for me and i havn't had access to an electric much because i'm traveling alot but right now reading chords charts/lead sheets and brazilian classical stuff is just awesome for me and jazz/classical has improved my playing and knowledge of everything 9024024 fold it's great.

^ that's awesome. just out of curiosity, how long did it take for you to become comfortable with reading notation for classical guitar? cuz I'd really like to start teaching myself. I already know the names of the notes on the fretboard and I can read notation for the treble cleff fairly well. But applying that to guitar is what I'm kind of dreading just because of the many different positions/octaves there are on guitar.

numbers please

I don't know if this means anything to you but @ $750 AUD.

Our dollar bounces up & down like a yo-yo compared to the USD so multiply that by anywhere from 0.6 to 0.93 to get the US equivalent, lol. Hence why comparing it to half the cost of a KE3 may make more sense.

I also don't know what your labor/material rates are like and this would heavily affect the cost if you were to have it made stateside.

Other factors - the price of aluminium or steel. My case is quite a few years old. Early last year there was a great spike in steel prices and it was double what it is now.

will this one be as good as ur case?

That case will definitely do the job. Unfortunately they didn't have plastic Kelly hardcases back when I wanted one.

Any case that can survive being dropped or have things dropped on it should be fine. Baggage handlers will throw things around to empty/fill the planes as quick as they can, then there are the conveyor belts, carousels, etc. that latches and handles can get snagged on. If you notice my case has recessed latches. As long as your guitar has a bit of padding and hard case it should be fine. Those thin wooden ones do the job but not for long. The more you travel the more you need something strong.

Our other guitarist has a Gibson V with standard Gibson case, it's flown with no probs so far. It's a hard wooden case but has a vinyl soft covering which could get scratched on something sharp enough.

s

I don't know if this means anything to you but @ $750 AUD.

Our dollar bounces up & down like a yo-yo compared to the USD so multiply that by anywhere from 0.6 to 0.93 to get the US equivalent, lol. Hence why comparing it to half the cost of a KE3 may make more sense.

I also don't know what your labor/material rates are like and this would heavily affect the cost if you were to have it made stateside.

Other factors - the price of aluminium or steel. My case is quite a few years old. Early last year there was a great spike in steel prices and it was double what it is now.

That case will definitely do the job. Unfortunately they didn't have plastic Kelly hardcases back when I wanted one.

Any case that can survive being dropped or have things dropped on it should be fine. Baggage handlers will throw things around to empty/fill the planes as quick as they can, then there are the conveyor belts, carousels, etc. that latches and handles can get snagged on. If you notice my case has recessed latches. As long as your guitar has a bit of padding and hard case it should be fine. Those thin wooden ones do the job but not for long. The more you travel the more you need something strong.

Our other guitarist has a Gibson V with standard Gibson case, it's flown with no probs so far. It's a hard wooden case but has a vinyl soft covering which could get scratched on something sharp enough.

s

ok thanks, out of curiosity, why do you travel with ur guitar that much>?