Guitar Player's Thread

Its depressing to see no uploaded videos on his channel :(

Since I'm here, I guess I'll mention I downloaded the line6 Metal Shop pack. I am very surprised with how good the ENGL and Marshal JCM 900 amp sims sounds. Not to bad-mouth the Korg Pandora, but I really believe the toneport is much better. Mitch has a decent tone, but it just has way too much midrange :p

Since I'm here, I guess I'll mention I downloaded the line6 Metal Shop pack. I am very surprised with how good the ENGL and Marshal JCM 900 amp sims sounds. Not to bad-mouth the Korg Pandora, but I really believe the toneport is much better. Mitch has a decent tone, but it just has way too much midrange :p

What would you say is better about the tone port? Over the Pandora.

I still have 2-3 weeks to return it and maybe try something else.

So far I really like the Pandora. I can get a lot of really different sounds out of it. Good sounds at that.

The tone port does seem to have more inputs, which could be a good thing in the future.

I do that for leads like Alexi. Sometimes I'll tweak it for rhythm playing, sometimes not. It has nothing to do with the Korg.

Pandora is pretty crap.
I honestly use it as a tuner most of the time.
Toneport kills it I guess, but its not mobile.

Not at all.

Goddamn you Jackson, thinking of giving up wanting a seven for a good several years yet because I am GASing SO badly for this

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_kv5fr_king_v_bk.htm?glossary=off

fuckin sonobitch

You atleast are making an effort, but you're doing it in the wrong way. You're rushing yourself to shred. You need to slow you're playing down greatly and concentrate on technique and hitting each note clearly instead of picking as fast as you can and flailing your fingers along.

Find some Paul Gilbert or Yngwie lessons, these are great for doing this. They've helped me alot. I'm not the fastest guitarist by any means, but what I do play I can do so more cleanly than most people I know.

Thanks man. :) I know my mega high speed stuff sounds like donkey ass, I just did that for fun, I guess. I can go pretty cleanly up to sixteenths at about 150 bpm or so and improving, but any higher than that I'm just attempting to be flashy. Thanks for encouragement though, not the biggest Yngwie fan but <3<3<3 Gilbert :D

King V's are pretty nice.

My old co-guitarist when I lived in Miami had this one for a good long time.
http://jacksonguitars.com/products/products.php?group=KingV-Body&page=1&product=2803040803
His was in just Black though, but it played amazingly. One day we were driving though and we had both of our guitars in the backseat and someone cut us off and my RR24 fell and pwn'd the fuck out of the finish on the neck of his guitar :rofl:

He later sold it and then bought most of this shit though. Not all from selling that one guitar, but anyways. The Dean came first.

4589_1148286661430_1055475677_429908_1661869_n.jpg

In case you couldn't tell, he's a hardcore Mustaine fan. My point is though, he used to be one of those Jackson Elitist until he played that Dean, and now he won't let the damned thing go.

He also recently showed me this, he had it built over the last few months and finally just got it a few weeks ago :)

38784_1494434674914_1055475677_1374233_7484287_n.jpg

Woah, that stuff looks awesome. Personally I prefer Mustaine's Angel of Deth sig though, looks badass. Deans don't feel good enough for the price though IMHO, played a couple and a friend of mine has a Razorback, it only feels about two-thirds, maybe three-quarters of the price it costs, plus Dean don't make any normal Vs with Floyds, which I want atm. Not as much a fan of RRs as I was last year, and I really don't care for ESP Alexi/SVs, it's just something about the Jackson King V that's so striking, the body shape, the way everything's installed on it (don't like knob placement much on the KV5FR though), the shred neck, the sharkfins, the headstock, it's just so sleek and badass, without being overly flashy.

And that last guitar, is that by any chance a Bernie Rico Jr.? Jed Simon uses them iirc and they're manly as fuck

so, this is my first time setting up a Floyd Rose. Going to use .11 in standard D. The current setup is .10 in E. What should i do regarding the springs?

so, this is my first time setting up a Floyd Rose. Going to use .11 in standard D. The current setup is .10 in E. What should i do regarding the springs?

Well you will either need to screw the spring claw in to give them more tension, or you can add a 4th spring and not have to tighten the claw down as much.

I use 4 springs....|| ||....2 right next to eachother, a space and then 2 more right next to eachother.

Could leave it with 3 and set up like this..../|\...putting the springs at the angle gives them a little more tension so you won't have to screw the claw in as far.

You really have a few options here, so just pick whichever is what you want. I find the 4 spring method to be best though. Better tunning stability and you don't have to screw the claw in as far which is always good. (The more you screw it in, the more wood you eat through with the screw and eventually that screw will just not grab anymore due to lack of wood.) It does make the whammy bar a little stiffer than having 3 springs, but I like it that way. I find when doing really aggressive riffing that I put pressure on the bridge with my palm, and the extra spring helps to keep the notes from going sharp when my hand rests on the bridge.

Also, I found that whammy flutters sound and react better with 4 springs, due to the extra tension.

Holy shit it's confirmed. My band is opening for ensiferum and finntroll in fubruary!

This should be some awesome exposure for us to the local metal crowd.

Conti, didn't your band play with ensiferum once? Are they a bunch of cool dudes?
I'm going to try and drink with Petri and get him to sign one of my norther CDs lol

Well you will either need to screw the spring claw in to give them more tension, or you can add a 4th spring and not have to tighten the claw down as much.

I use 4 springs....|| ||....2 right next to eachother, a space and then 2 more right next to eachother.

Could leave it with 3 and set up like this..../|...putting the springs at the angle gives them a little more tension so you won't have to screw the claw in as far.

You really have a few options here, so just pick whichever is what you want. I find the 4 spring method to be best though. Better tunning stability and you don't have to screw the claw in as far which is always good. (The more you screw it in, the more wood you eat through with the screw and eventually that screw will just not grab anymore due to lack of wood.) It does make the whammy bar a little stiffer than having 3 springs, but I like it that way. I find when doing really aggressive riffing that I put pressure on the bridge with my palm, and the extra spring helps to keep the notes from going sharp when my hand rests on the bridge.

Also, I found that whammy flutters sound and react better with 4 springs, due to the extra tension.

thanks dude, i only have 3 springs at the moment. i tried both /|\ and |.|.| didn't made much difference as far i can tell

Holy shit it's confirmed. My band is opening for ensiferum and finntroll in fubruary!

This should be some awesome exposure for us to the local metal crowd.

Conti, didn't your band play with ensiferum once? Are they a bunch of cool dudes?
I'm going to try and drink with Petri and get him to sign one of my norther CDs lol

Thats fucking awesome man!

Do you know tour dates and what not yet? If you're coming near Orlando would love to check out your band.

thanks dude, i only have 3 springs at the moment. i tried both /| and |.|.| didn't made much difference as far i can tell

Yea, in all my experiences 3 springs feels like 3 spring, no matter how I put them.

If you can get a 4th spring you should deff try it out. I'm on a mission to convert all foyd users to the 4 spring way. I know I'll never go back to 3 springs.

Here are the dates; we are just playing on the Rochester date, I WISH we were actually on the tour lol

Jan. 31 - Orlando, FL - The Club at Firestone
Feb. 01 - Atlanta, GA - The Masquerade
Feb. 02 - Louisville, KY - Headliner's Music Hall
Feb. 03 - Tulsa, OK - Marquee
Feb. 04 - Austin, TX - Emo's Alternative Lounging
Feb. 05 - Dallas, TX - Ridglea Theater
Feb. 06 - Amarillo, TX - The War Legion Underground
Feb. 07 - Tempe, AZ - Clubhouse
Feb. 08 - Los Angeles, CA - Key Club
Feb. 09 - Ramona, CA - Ramona Mainstage
Feb. 10 - San Francisco, CA - DNA Lounge
Feb. 11 - Portland, OR - Hawthorne Theatre
Feb. 12 - Seattle, WA - El Corazon
Feb. 14 - Calgary, AB - The Republik
Feb. 15 - Edmonton, AB - Starlite Room
Feb. 16 - Regina, SK - The Exchange
Feb. 18 - Minneapolis, MN - Station 4
Feb. 19 - Chicago, IL - Reggie Rock Club
Feb. 20 - Detroit, MI - Blondie's
Feb. 21 - Cleveland, OH - Peabody's
Feb. 22 - Toronto, ON - Opera House
Feb. 23 - Quebec City, QC - Imperial de Quebec
Feb. 24 - Montreal, QC - Metropolis
Feb. 25 - Rochester, NY - Montage Music Hall
Feb. 26 - New York City, NY - The Gramercy Theatre
Feb. 27 - Worcester, MA - The Palladium
Mar. 01 - Philadelphia, PA - The Trocadero
Mar. 02 - West Springfield, VA - Jaxx
Mar. 03 - Charlotte, NC - The Casbah
Mar. 04 - Raleigh, NC - Volume 11

Here are the dates; we are just playing on the Rochester date, I WISH we were actually on the tour lol

Jan. 31 - Orlando, FL - The Club at Firestone

Well you won't be at this show playing, but at least I'll get to see Ensiferum.

Try to get some videos or something from when your band plays.

After tomorrow, I'm going to pay a visit in the community college I was studying last semester, with my guitar plugged into my Digitech Deat Metal pedal in my left pocket and then, directly onto my Marshall MS-2 amp attached to my belt haha. Maybe I'll also bring my netbook to do some covers over there lawl (not recorded).

Yo guys, who would be up for another COBOT Forum Jam after the COBOT Album 4 is done?? We've done 5 so far and the 5th was back in 2008, so alot of posters have been and gone, and we've now got a few more, so would be cool do another.

Here are the 5 so far, for anyone who's never participated before.

Forum Jam 1 (G Blues)
Forum Jam 2 (C# Phrygian Rock)
Forum Jam 3 (C Maj Ballad)
Forum Jam 4 (Passage To The Reaper)
Forum Jam 5 (12 Donkeys)

My favourite is 5, definitely. :)

So how does this work Mitch? I may be interested in at least trying something now that I have a way to record.

Is that you playing on all tracks, or multiple people contributing licks here and there?

That G Blues one was pretty fucking sweet. No matter how much metal I love, I don't think I will ever love it more than the blues, especially that aggressive rock type blues. (Paul Gilbert 12-12 on steroids)