Guitar Player's Thread

The EMG 81X, if I remember correct is supposed to be like a 18V modded EMG 81, but runs on 9v.

Wonder how that would sound on 18v?

FWIW....any EMG active can be run up to 27v, although I hear the diff between 18v and 27v is not as great a diff as 9v to 18v.

Thought about modding my EMG ABQ(gain boost w/ res. Freq. switches) to 18v just to see if it makes a diff at all, just been to lazy, plus I like how it is already.

27v is a mod worth doing on basses, possibly on extended range emg setups(8 string?) as well.

18v mod is also incredibly easy to do if you do it like this:

10p0y34.jpg

Fool-proof and easilly reversible if you dont like it, cheap as hell, get the parts at any electronics store thats worth shit.

If you have a separate cavity for battery(unlike me), make sure you get sufficient wire lenght to shove either one or both batteries inside the cavity if you've got the space:)

^ Hmm... I might try that out myself. And I kind agree about active emg's sounding sterile, maybe I just need to change the battery...

Yea, i got the extra cavity route for 1 9v, so adding in another is a bitch just because of the wiring tunnels in the RR24 to get the 2nd battery in the control cavity, while leaving the other where it is.

I also thought the EMG 81 was a little sterile, thats why I got a passive PU but run active circuitry. Love how it sounds now!!

27v is a mod worth doing on basses, possibly on extended range emg setups(8 string?) as well.

18v mod is also incredibly easy to do if you do it like this:

10p0y34.jpg

Fool-proof and easilly reversible if you dont like it, cheap as hell, get the parts at any electronics store thats worth shit.

If you have a separate cavity for battery(unlike me), make sure you get sufficient wire lenght to shove either one or both batteries inside the cavity if you've got the space:)

If I had the place that'd be great, but the RR24 has a separate, super tiny hole for one pickup only, so I guess I'd have to put it somewhere else and it may get tricky, but I definitely want to try it. When I have my guitar with me (I'm currently in Austria for the year, my guitar in Spain but hopefully coming in a month or so) I may try it someway.

Learning 8 finger tapping. So far I can use my first 3 fingers on my right hand for a few shapes, such as 5 note groups on most of the strings. Getting the full 8 working is pretty hard though, especially as fast and clean as most people do it. I know we actually talked about 8 finger tapping here a few weeks ago, which is what made me finally decide to take the first steps in learning to do it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nh0T8V0USA&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpBfJVNb3SE&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48I1_5u4lZ0&feature=related[/ame]

And lastly, this pretty much blew my mind. I don't know if anyone else here will find it interesting, but maybe it will shut alot of people up about how much better one instrument sounds than another, considering this piece of shit sounds better than half of the things that people seem to be so in love with now days, ie. the Alexi<3 Geetars :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SohWrnzYqAk&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've noticed that not alot of the players really use all 8 also, atleast not at one time, but I'd still like to be able to do it.

it's no secret that if you're a good player you can make almost anything sound good.....i have no problem playing on any kinds of guitars, it's just the ones with really shitty old strings/horrible set ups that get me.

and the "8 finger" stuff is ok, like stanley jordan is badass and all but alot of the times it gets redundant and is usually just chromaticism

the "8 finger" stuff is ok, like stanley jordan is badass and all but alot of the times it gets redundant and is usually just chromaticism

Yes, true, but I'm just trying to expand on array of things to do on guitar. Most of the other stuff I had seen was chromatic like you said, which isn't really all that interesting for the listener, but I really like this guys playing atleast. I'd like to be able to learn as many different techniques as I can :)

^Don't be a hypocrite you were like that too. A year ago or so you were always yapping about how your shred chops were developing and posting videos that would make half of us crap in our pants and not play for a couple of days ;)

The EMG 81X, if I remember correct is supposed to be like a 18V modded EMG 81, but runs on 9v.

Wonder how that would sound on 18v?

Yeah, the X's of the respective EMG's are voiced the same way they would sound using 18v. I'd honestly guess there wouldn't be that much of a difference running 18v through the X.

Overall though, the 18v/27v hype doesn't make much sense to me. If you want that extra headroom/upper-mid spike, like mentioned - you can use Blackouts or EMG X's - they're designed for that exact reason. To me the biggest reason to use an EMG 81 is how balanced it is, giving you extreme versatility in how you choose to boost or cut whichever frequencies you want, so by using two batteries you're effectively making the 81 less versatile and automatically shaping the EQ's a bit more how passives are generally voiced, which if you simply wanted that specific sound anyway - again, like I said, I think it makes more sense to use Blackouts or X's (my choice would be to just use the 81 and actually EQ it properly). With an 85 18v-modded, you'll get a bit more clear of a sound in the lower end, but then at that point you'd might as well just be using the 81, since the 85 is essentially a more compressed 81 with increased Low-Mids and a bit less Treble, and of course using an alnico magnet as opposed to a ceramic.

The 60/60A/89 and single coils do seem to make a bit of use of the 18v mod, but as far as the 81 and 85, I don't really see the point.

Here's my new sexybabe. I adore it with great passion. Looks, feels and sounds like a motherfucker! Got it tuned to D standard yesterday, was a seriously fun process, even had to adjust the springs.

73671_105670296167020_100001721508098_43279_4494617_n.jpg