Guitar Player's Thread

Just got DR DDT 10-46 set. And Boy... Thoose strings kick some serious ass. Man I can drop it down from E to Drop B and notes sound clear. Damn got to love thoose.

Youre really telling me your tuning to B with a 46 ?
You running a 30" scale ?
Even magical grandma-handmade DR's can't do that.

Seriously man, a 56 is still way to thin and wierd :Spin:

But for the bass stuff ... I can't really get a grasp on why everyone has atleast one Fender Jazz or a copy of it ... its really crazy.
Im happy with my wierd modern looking stringed plank.

Recent purchases:

Ltd f-415 fm
F-405_STBLK_1.jpg

Peavey tour 700 head
peavey_tour700.jpg

Peavey 4x10 bass cab
146705.jpg

Finally recorded some real mic'd up cab action going this weekend
I started, mixing from scratch today but with headphones so I'm not exactly sure how its sounding on majority of sound systems.
Here's a little clip, I removed the lead vocals so you guys can zone in on the tone more :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3269281/EE Guitar Tone.mp3

IMG_1382.jpg

Wow, that sounded pretty good lol. I'm going to assume that was the V2 sitting there that we're hearing? I've been planning on buying one of those for quite some time, it's nice to hear how amazing it sounds, albeit a little saddening that I'm not playing through it at the same time :rofl:

I also like the vocals, I wasn't so impressed by the cleans you had previously, or I think you did anyways. In any case, I'm excited to hear how this turns out :)

Youre really telling me your tuning to B with a 46 ?
You running a 30" scale ?
Even magical grandma-handmade DR's can't do that.

Seriously man, a 56 is still way to thin and wierd :Spin:

But for the bass stuff ... I can't really get a grasp on why everyone has atleast one Fender Jazz or a copy of it ... its really crazy.
Im happy with my wierd modern looking stringed plank.

Well feels thin,but notes soound clear. That's the point. I just play In E and drop D,but did a small test,that's it.

Yeah, man I'm really proud of it so far. Recorded and produced it myself. I've been with the same drummer in bands for like 6 years and he's super happy that he's finally not represented by programmed drums lol.

I can understand drummers frustration with that though, its the hardest part and most expensive to record real drums and have them sound professional, so a lot of bands just go with the programmed route for DIY.

I sure would be pissed if I was in a band and got my guitar programmed :lol: (Whats scary is that I've actually heard that done with sampled programmed guitars and it actually sounds convincing)

Found one example quick from the sneap forum, this is not real guitar or drums lol we're fuuukeeddd
http://files.dropbox.com/u/1324770/CHUGAWOOKA.mp3

Nice!!
which mics did you use for the drums? Whats the mic next to the sm57 on the amp? Guitar sound is nice too, but I guess you had a lot of phase issues right? :lol:

Great, a pic is all I wanted :D But where are the overheads :(
You could have moved the region around to eliminate those issues, but if you didnt like its sound at all :D
Did you set up the mics by yourself? Where did you learn this stuff?

The overheads were like 3-4 feet above the cymbals.

I only had 8 inputs so we had to not use the Hi hat mic and just have 2 OH's

And ive just learned this stuff from experience and lots of reading over the years. The sneap forum has been a great help too lol.

I started getting into recording when I was 15, I remember I bought a shitty 4 track and tried recording my first band with 4 tracks, 1 microphone for drums lol

speaking of mics, I just received the MXL 604 in the mail today. And having never worked with recording mics before, I didn't realize all the other shit I'm missing to use it. Apparently I need a mic preamp that has phantom power in order to get this mic to actually work. Anyone have any suggestions for this? Alex or Flo....you guys probably could explain how this stuff works? this is the one i'm talking about http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXL604-Instrument-Microphone?sku=273177

The overheads were like 3-4 feet above the cymbals.

I only had 8 inputs so we had to not use the Hi hat mic and just have 2 OH's

And ive just learned this stuff from experience and lots of reading over the years. The sneap forum has been a great help too lol.

I started getting into recording when I was 15, I remember I bought a shitty 4 track and tried recording my first band with 4 tracks, 1 microphone for drums lol

Yeah that's why I hate drummers with many toms who'll most likely not use all of them in a Song :lol: And when they use them, they just hit them once -.-
Are you recording on some DAT thing or why is it just 8 tracks?
My interface has just 8 inputs, so I connect some of my old interfaces with it so I have 9-12 mic inputs which is great because I love to have some small condenser mic on hi hat and ride.
But you didnt mic the snare bottom??

Recording and mixing is next to playing guitar the best thing ever. The first recording I made was some demo for my ex-guitarist's new band. Recording the drums with 2 dynamic mics,totally dumb placement but it sounded great :D but that was yeeaarrss ago

speaking of mics, I just received the MXL 604 in the mail today. And having never worked with recording mics before, I didn't realize all the other shit I'm missing to use it. Apparently I need a mic preamp that has phantom power in order to get this mic to actually work. Anyone have any suggestions for this? Alex or Flo....you guys probably could explain how this stuff works? this is the one i'm talking about http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXL604-Instrument-Microphone?sku=273177

Link doesnt work :(
http://www.mxlmics.com/products/Studio_mics/604/v604.html
this one, right? How much was it? I just can find the matched pair sets.
aannd dont you have a toneport? My old ux2 has phantom power. And what you should buy depends on what you're using the mic for/your budget/recording quality.
I would suggest to buy a new interface with mic preamps and phantom power if your toneport doesnt have one because connecting some small mic preamp with your toneport(I hope you're using one as your interface :lol:) is also way to go but I wouldnt do it.
The most important questions are: How much money will you spend on the preamp / interface? what are you going to do with that mic? are you thinking about getting some more mics? do you want to recording just with mics in the future?

AND FUCKING READ ABOUT CONDENSER MICS BEFORE BUYING ONE :lol:!
I love these stupid mic reviews on youtube where people in the comments go like ''aawww my mic doesnt work with the line inputs!!!!'" -- ''if its a condenser mic you'll need phantom power'' -- ''WAT? THAT'S FRAUD!NOBODY TOLD ME''

Twisha, if your interface does not have a phantom power switch you will need a phantom power supply box for your condensor mic.
Regular dynamic mics just use magnetism and don't require electricity to generate signal but condensor mics need some voltage to work, the phantom power.

luckily its an inexpensive peice of gear.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...ROPOWER-PS400-Phantom-Power-Supply?sku=336830
this should work fine for your purposes

or if you want to spend 10 more bucks you can get this tube preamp with phantom power and some other cool options.
Plus it has more input output options if you need to use 1/4 as an output

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-TUBE-ULTRAGAIN-MIC100-Preamp?sku=182482

And snowy, I only had 8 inputs on my interface, its a presonus firestudio and I was going to try and connect my ux2 via spdif for 2 extra channels but couldnt get it to work in time for the session.

So we didnt have enough inputs to double mic the snare, it's blended with a professional sample on the recording.

so our set up was just over head Left and right, 1 snare mic, 4 tom mics, and recorded the kick with a trigger for a total of 8 tracks

Link doesnt work :(
http://www.mxlmics.com/products/Studio_mics/604/v604.html
this one, right? How much was it? I just can find the matched pair sets.
aannd dont you have a toneport? My old ux2 has phantom power. And what you should buy depends on what you're using the mic for/your budget/recording quality.
I would suggest to buy a new interface with mic preamps and phantom power if your toneport doesnt have one because connecting some small mic preamp with your toneport(I hope you're using one as your interface :lol:) is also way to go but I wouldnt do it.
The most important questions are: How much money will you spend on the preamp / interface? what are you going to do with that mic? are you thinking about getting some more mics? do you want to recording just with mics in the future?

AND FUCKING READ ABOUT CONDENSER MICS BEFORE BUYING ONE :lol:!
I love these stupid mic reviews on youtube where people in the comments go like ''aawww my mic doesnt work with the line inputs!!!!'" -- ''if its a condenser mic you'll need phantom power'' -- ''WAT? THAT'S FRAUD!NOBODY TOLD ME''

yes, it's that mxl 604 in your link. I paid $99 for it from Musician's Friend. I just read about dynamic mics vs. condenser mics and looks like I made the right decision. I don't have a toneport, I have the pod xt, and it doesn't have that phantom power switch...
I just want this mic for home recordings of my classical guitar and my piano. I'll experiment recording my amp too, just to see how it turns out.

Twisha, if your interface does not have a phantom power switch you will need a phantom power supply box for your condensor mic.
Regular dynamic mics just use magnetism and don't require electricity to generate signal but condensor mics need some voltage to work, the phantom power.

luckily its an inexpensive peice of gear.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...ROPOWER-PS400-Phantom-Power-Supply?sku=336830
this should work fine for your purposes

or if you want to spend 10 more bucks you can get this tube preamp with phantom power and some other cool options.
Plus it has more input output options if you need to use 1/4 as an output

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-TUBE-ULTRAGAIN-MIC100-Preamp?sku=182482
Thanks for those links Alex. Exactly what I need to get. But could you explain how those would connect to my comp? My recording interface is Reaper. So like how would I get classical guitar > condenser mic > mic preamp > computer? I think I need a special cable to connect to the mic preamp, right?

And will the preamp have the ability to connect to my computer so that I can record the signal that comes thru it, using Reaper?

(sorry for all these questions :ill:)

Yeah those phantom power things work too but I would recommend to buy some new interface as the behringer preamp is shit :lol:
But if you're going to buy this stuff it would be
guitar > mic > preamp > interface (pod) > computer. you could leave the interface out and plug it straight in your computer but thats not a good solution.