Guitar Player's Thread

Yes, we do want you to make a video showing the tone (;

It looks awesome btw! Good job :D

For anyone interestec in the J-50BC here is something I found out:

Just got myself a J-50BC and swapped it in my guitar - it sounds great as heck with my homemade JE-1000!
However - what I had in there before was a Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon with a ceramic magnet swapped in, and to be honest the only difference I can really hear is:
A minor loss of some of the highest treble, a minor increase in harmonic response

So if anyone can't find a J-50BC you might consider going that route, or maybe even just a PAF and swap into a ceramic magnet - haven't tried that though, but that's basically what the J-50BC is

Might make an a/b test some day to show you guys, and will make some videos soon showcasing some of the most awesome tones I've ever heard imo :D

J-50BC+JE-1000 into Lee Jackson XLS-500 (with a super strat)
And - Caparison PH-R (this pickup KICKS ASS, ever heard Organic by Freak Kitchen? That sound is very obtainable with it and also loads of different other ones) into Lee Jackson XLS-500 (also with a super strat)

I also found the ultimate free tone enhancement: of course big strings (11's in E ftw) and raising your strings to high levels! Check Todd Duane aka Treetopper on the tube for reference - he made me do it haha :p

http://www.youtube.com/user/Treetopper#p/a/u/2/ywH2daXKYNA

For all those who think you need expensive Marshall's for a great tone check out Blackstar amps

Here's my Metal demo of the very versatile 100 watt head which I just bought last week, amazing clean channel, great crunchy OD 1 and higher gain OD 2 channel with 2 types of Reverb (dark and light), ISF for US or British voiced amp etc etc. And the lower wattage range (1 watt, 5 watt, 20 watt etc.) sound amazing too at a very very affordable price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me or did Blackstar amps pop out of fucking nowhere in the past 6 months?

Seems like all the sudden they appeared and all these professional metal guys are hopping on the endorsment bandwagon?

No doubt they sound good, but My guess is that its going to be another Krank type deal where they pop out of nowhere and everyone gets endorsed by them for a few years and then they all leave lol

I love that sound! Of course, the guy's playing is on point so that affects my opinion. But still, marshal amps... need I say more?!

Is it just me or did Blackstar amps pop out of fucking nowhere in the past 6 months?

Seems like all the sudden they appeared and all these professional metal guys are hopping on the endorsment bandwagon?

No doubt they sound good, but My guess is that its going to be another Krank type deal where they pop out of nowhere and everyone gets endorsed by them for a few years and then they all leave lol

Yeah, I've noticed this too. Gus G has become the poster boy for them. I think opeth and porcupine tree use them now too.

Btw, that Franken-Paul 'custom' rules. I'd play it *nods*

I don't think Blackstar are going to disappear in a few years time the guys who started it were at Marshall for years as amp designers so they know a thing or two plus some old pros like Billy Gibbons have picked up on the Artisan series so it's not all young metal poster boys ;p

I tested a few thought they were brilliant plus they're affordable, well built and look good :)
Oh and in case you're wondering I don't have any affiliation with them, I was also close to getting a Jet City Amps 100 watter too.

One of the local bands we play with regularly got a Blackstar endorsement and I used one of their stacks once. Absolutely boss tone, it loved EMG 81's.

So after months of searching, I found a job last week. At a movie theater actually, so lots of free movies for me :) But, that aside, now I can begin searching for a new amp/equipment. I've had my eye on like 4 different things as far as amps go. The 6505+, the JVM, Randall Ninja V2 (I still love this thing to death even though it's out of production now, so finding one will be a chore :/), and lastly, the Mesa Boogie TriAxis Preamp (Fanboy, I know, but it sounds fucking incredible)

As far as guitars go, I've wanted a Caparison Orbit for quite some time, but a friend of mine had played one and said that the neck on it was terrible/Overly thick. Can anyone here verify this? I don't want to spend the nearly 2000 or more dollars on it and not like it, but there aren't really any dealers around here to try one out at, and only like 2 videos on youtube of it. If all else fails, I may save my money and just have a custom guitar built by amfisound, although that will take some time.

So yeah, throw some opinions at me :)

yeah blackstar really popped out of the woodworks, probably some of those bigger guys just happened to try one out and say shit! i want one! yeah I saw opeth using them at the last show I saw in may....sounded pretty good

I got blackstar confused with the blackheart mini amp series and i was like wtf? :lol:

OK FUCKING HELL I'M MAD

Ok ok listen to this:

My Stars was humming when the volume knob was all the way down. When I touched any metal part connected to the wiring, it stopped. That's cool, pretty regular problem?

I messed around, trying to wire something... to something I dno, but it fixed it!

ALMOST, because now I have the reverse problem. When I touch any metal parts connected to the wiring it starts humming.

I feel like throwing it to an overpriced tech. Do you guys have any tips/diagnoses?

Whack your dick across the fretboard, take out the pickup, boil the pickup, boil the guitar over a fireplace in water from a neerby river, take out the rest of the electronics and drive over it in reverse from the passengerseat.
It worked for me, but if your problem is caused by something else and this doesen't help then you should bring it to some pros.

I've had my eye on like 4 different things as far as amps go. The 6505+, the JVM, Randall Ninja V2

Listen to me very carefully. People have given me this advice for my past 4 amp purchases and every time I don't listen, and every time I regret it wishing I had....

Buy the 5150/6505

If you don't, bookmark this post so when you are like "o fuck I should have bought a 5150/6505 you can try and save someone else.

Every time, I've had my sights on a 5150 and ended up buying something else; Boogie Recto, Lee Jackson GP1000, Marshall DSL100, Engl e530

Every time I hear a 5150 Im like fuck

Listen to me very carefully. People have given me this advice for my past 4 amp purchases and every time I don't listen, and every time I regret it wishing I had....

Buy the 5150/6505

If you don't, bookmark this post so when you are like "o fuck I should have bought a 5150/6505 you can try and save someone else.

Every time, I've had my sights on a 5150 and ended up buying something else; Boogie Recto, Lee Jackson GP1000, Marshall DSL100, Engl e530

Every time I hear a 5150 Im like fuck

The 6505 is one of those amps I'll most likely buy eventually no matter what. I think the JVM is my least likely choice. I've been really interested in the Triaxis lately though. So many assignable channels O_O

But yeah, the 6505's are pretty affordable for a high end amp, and more than one head is always a safe idea when it comes time to play live.

Anyhow, I thought you had a 5150??? I could have sworn you did. I remember the Lee Jackson and Marshall, not so much the Boogie, Recto, or Engl

more than one head is always a safe idea when it comes time to play live.

Seriously, don't bring 2 heads to a gig... unless you plan to use them both.

When we've had amp probs we just borrow a head from another band on the line up.

International/interstate bands that were on our bill usually borrow our backline and we did the same when we toured.

Another thing, so many go out and get a 100W amp and never get to crank them. When they gig they find themselves on 1 or 2 as most pubs are too small for 100W amps.

The sound guy can turn you up when your vol. is low but if you're amp is set too high he can't turn your amp down from the desk. You can spot the noobs who've turned their amps up at rehearsals, (a padded room where you can do it) leave it at the same settings and when they gig blame the sound guy for ruining the mix.

When Megadeth did a show here they had the backline lit up and on low volume, basically just for ambience, only those on the floor get to hear it, behind all that was a single 25W amp that was mic'd up through the PA and that's what most of the audience heard.

100W will give you a bit more headroom but you can get some great tone from a cranked 50W so keep them in mind, especially if the price is right.

s