Guitar Player's Thread

Once a string loses its integrity the other strings are in the same shape - they've all been stretched and lost some of their elasticity.

One teacher told me his guitar strings last about 3 weeks, he did a lot of gigging and probably true if you want the same brightness as new strings.

s

If one string breaks it doesn't mean all the other strings are in the same shape.

Once you tune up your strings they start to stretch and then continue to stretch for a few days.

I change my strings every month. I don't gig. I am just a bedroom player who plays about 4-6 hours a day. I just hate when strings loose that snap.

I don't know, maybe I am just a little confused by what you are saying.

He's basically saying (I think) that the old strings are "old" (hence the stretched/lost elasticity). And that when one is getting old, the other ones are too.

If one string breaks it doesn't mean all the other strings are in the same shape.

I knew a guy who would mostly snap his A string (at the bridge) and often the low E even when reasonably new, he did pick hard and mute those strings more than the others but so did we (Dungeon had 3 guitarists). It was a custom made guitar and I suspected something wasn't right.

What I was saying is that new strings have quite a bit of elasticity, you over stretch them a little to wear them in then they sit in tension slowly stretching each time you play, that's why you have to re-tune over and over stretching each string each time. All the strings are very slowly becoming more brittle.

If you record with a new set and come back weeks later to edit with that same set you'll definitely hear a difference.

He's basically saying (I think) that the old strings are "old" (hence the stretched/lost elasticity). And that when one is getting old, the other ones are too.

Precisely, I also have an assortment of spare strings from times when I had to replace single strings and I keep them for that reason but if there's a gig looming I'll replace the whole set.

s

Speaking of strings, I was changing mine last night and used the whammy bar to adjust the angle of the bridge while I was tightening the allen key screws that hold the strings in place in the saddles and my fucking whammy bar SNAPPED INSIDE the bridge, what a cunt. :lol:

Yup, the metal bar snapped while it was inside the trem, so it's now un-usable!!!!!!!

217wcj.jpg

And I saw something on the Racer X forum that sparked an idea...

A VIDEO forum jam?!!?? 10 or so of us playing a solo over a backing track but with videos uploaded to YouTube instead of listening to a 10:00 mp3 file...sound good to everyone!?!??!

I know! I doubt it but I only put the bar in so I could adjust the trem, I don't use it anymore so it's not a huge loss. Could buy a replacement trem off Ebay but I'm not really that fussed if I'm honest, it was just a "oh shit" moment that you don't expect to happen.

And here's what I saw that made me want to do it:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well even if mostly unused is always good to have the bar imo, but mostly is the how bad luck factor, I had never heard such thing.

The video jam could be cool, we could try that, but the sending of the videos and all the audio and all would take some time, and somebody would have to edit it all together, who would be up for that?

Mitch, that is EXACTLY why I remove all string first, remove springs in the back, take out the floyd, put in all the strings, THEN put the floyd back in.

I had never heard such thing.

It's quite prevalent with Fender strats, they have a thin tremelo arm.

When metal is flexed over and over it 'work hardens' meaning it gets brittle, then snaps when you work it some more. You may have noticed this when you bend a piece of coat hanger wire back and forth.

Floyd Rose bars are usually thick enough to take it but looking at your pic it looks like your bar has a thin rod within it rather than being a solid rod.

Is it a screw in or snap in? It looks like you can remove the broken piece with long nose pliers so you should be alright, a bugger if it snaps inside the sustain block.

And here's what I saw that made me want to do it:

It reminds me a little of this:

s

Last edited by a moderator:
Sucks about your whammy bar Mitch. Poor Ibby, or at least it looks like the Ibby.

If you can't get it from the top, you should be able to unscrew the trem height screw on the backside of the trem. With that out I belive you should be able to just pop that piece right out of there.

Floyd%20Rose%20Original%20Exploded.jpg

This is for a floyd but it should be pretty much the same. The tremelo arm screw is the piece I was refering to.

Sucks about your whammy bar Mitch. Poor Ibby, or at least it looks like the Ibby.

If you can't get it from the top, you should be able to unscrew the trem height screw on the backside of the trem. With that out I belive you should be able to just pop that piece right out of there.

Floyd%20Rose%20Original%20Exploded.jpg

This is for a floyd but it should be pretty much the same. The tremelo arm screw is the piece I was refering to.

I see You bought JE-1000 clone. Congratulations ! So could You please post Your comparsion between both preamps ?

I see You bought JE-1000 clone. Congratulations ! So could You please post Your comparsion between both preamps ?

Yes, I indeed did. I installed it Saturday when it came in the mail.

I can only compare ABQ and JE-1000 clone, never had a MM-04.

Also, I am running it with my EMG ALX P/U, not a J-50BC

ABQ = smaller, easier to install, runs off push/pull pot

JE-1000 = larger, a little harder to install(just more wires to it in general, plus I didn't have the volume direct mounted so I also had to wire that in)

Both = gain boost, little freq. switches, effect gain & give you that wah'ish sound

I will say this though...the ABQ has more bass on tap, but the JE-1000 clone has a better mid/high end tone to it. Once I installed the JE clone I had to pretty much reset my amps eq knobs and my 10-bands eq to make up for the lack of bass and to add in a little bit more highs. The wah'ish effect is a little more dominant with the JE-1000 clone though, which is what I was really after. I mean the ABQ has it, it just isn't as strong.

I am really going to try and get some sound clips of the JE-1000 w/ ALX up so you guys can hear the difference. Just gotta figure out my Tone Port thing I bought.