Guitar Player's Thread

Not really, it feels so difficult :p Though no doubt it would be helpful.

It will be difficult if you expect to play with it as fast as you can now.

Probably best to start with finger exercises to build strength/speed as what you play now, you've become used to playing with 3rd instead of 4th finger.

As with learning all new techniques, get a metronome and slow you're playing down to a speed where you're playing in time for a few minutes, then gradually increase the speed only when you can play it to the beat.

I think you'll be glad you did it.

s

At the upper frets I think it's perfectly fine to exclude the pinky at times. It can legitimately cause unnecessary cramping. There are different hand sizes and different scale lengths, so it's not fair to say that a huge guy playing a LP with a 24.75" scale length is going to have as easy a time using his pinky as some Korean girl playing a 25.5" scale length guitar.

As long as you can use it when applicable and aren't doing any kind of unreasonable stretches to accommodate for lack of pinky coordination, that is what's important.

Whatever feels good. Alexi almost never uses his pinky. I usually go for the one finger per fret rule unless im playing in the 12th position or higher, usually in the 12th I mix between 3 and 4 fingers. For pentatonic and bends and stuff I use 3 fingers because that's how I first learned to do it and feels best, for like shredding diatonic scale stuff its 4 fingers unless im playing above the 12th. Then its too cramped, so I use 3 fingers for 4 fretd snd keep the pinky for higher notes, so I can cover like 7 frets in one position comfortably

There are different hand sizes and different scale lengths

Totally, do what's comfortable.

I see plenty of guys play power chords with 1st & 4th fingers, it's not the way I was taught, it doesn't look right to me but it's what suits them and their playing is good.

Many guitarists advocate using the 4th finger when it comes to shredding though, particularly at the lower frets.

It's just what I suggest trying, you could really benefit using the pinky.

It's always good to try different things and if it enhances your playing all the better.

s

For pentatonic and bends and stuff I use 3 fingers

I agree with that, I don't think many people bend with 4th finger, I haven't noticed it much anyway.

A lot of blues players are three finger players and that's fine for that style, for shredding there's so much more scope with 4 fingers particularly when you have to stretch to 2 frets between fingers.

s

I'd rather practice good bending/vibrato on the three other fingers, than getting average results all across the board. Too many players neglect vibrato nowadays :/

Since I have the Loomis guitar (baritone scale), I'm really glad to play with my pinky :rolleyes:If you play solos like oin the song "This Godless Endeavor" from Nevermore, you might want to use your pinky in solos. Some guitarists can play anything with 3 fingers but I don't know how they do it!

I'd rather practice good bending/vibrato on the three other fingers, than getting average results all across the board. Too many players neglect vibrato nowadays :/

As I said, bending is usually done with the three fingers, the pinky is mainly for stretching to fret notes.

Some guitarists can play anything with 3 fingers but I don't know how they do it!

They usually have very long fingers. :lol:

s

While I do agree that playing however you are comfortable is the best way, I also think that if you are good while only using 3 fingers, you will only get better by adding in the 4th.

In the words of my old guitar teacher, "3 men rowing a boat can get the job done, but 4 men rowing that same boat will get the job done faster and more efficient."

Good playing in your video up there Necro. What guitar is that? B.C. Rich Stealth maybe?

Good playing in your video up there Necro. What guitar is that? B.C. Rich Stealth maybe?

Thanks! And the guitar is actually Jackson Warrior MG series. I don't use it much anymore other than as a "backup guitar", but since my new guitar was in my band's rehearsal place I played with that one.

This big CD store near me is going out of business and selling everything dirt cheap so i got a bunch of awesome/favorite albums for $30.

In Flames -Clayman
Soilwork - Figure no. Five
Arch Enemy - Burning Bridges
Darkane - Demonic Art
Sylosis - Conclusion of an Age
Sonic Syndicate- some whiney emo title (took a chance on this one, dig it!)
Edguy - Hellfire Club

i will have lots of new driving music!
I might even go back once stuff is discounted even more!

This big CD store near me is going out of business and selling everything dirt cheap so i got a bunch of awesome/favorite albums for $30.

In Flames -Clayman
Soilwork - Figure no. Five
Arch Enemy - Burning Bridges
Darkane - Demonic Art
Sylosis - Conclusion of an Age
Sonic Syndicate- some whiney emo title (took a chance on this one, dig it!)
Edguy - Hellfire Club

i will have lots of new driving music!
I might even go back once stuff is discounted even more!

Clayman was the album that got me interested in metal :kickass:

sorry for bein lame. but i only got 1 pic and no camera handy. vids later
2v1sxlh.jpg

hey guys! im looking for a new wah

i have 3 in mind, the 3 from dunlop (which is the brand i like the most by far):

wah dime from hell (classic)
EVH-95 (van halen) wah
kirk hammett wah kh-95

until now i love the van halen wah, the kirk hammetts wah is very good too and maybe better for the kind of music i play (metal) and suprisely i cant like much of the sound of the dime from hell, even though everybody likes it

but before i buy anything i would like to have some feedback, which of those 3 u guys like most? if you have another sugestions feel free too say plz (it doesnt need to be a signature wah like all i said )

thanks ;D

hey guys! im looking for a new wah

i have 3 in mind, the 3 from dunlop (which is the brand i like the most by far):

wah dime from hell (classic)
EVH-95 (van halen) wah
kirk hammett wah kh-95

until now i love the van halen wah, the kirk hammetts wah is very good too and maybe better for the kind of music i play (metal) and suprisely i cant like much of the sound of the dime from hell, even though everybody likes it

but before i buy anything i would like to have some feedback, which of those 3 u guys like most? if you have another sugestions feel free too say plz (it doesnt need to be a signature wah like all i said )

thanks ;D

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/cob-off-topic/663520-best-wah-buy.html

(effectively dividing by zero, causing an endless loop going back and forth between the two threads)