Guitar Player's Thread

Hmm,

Jackson Stars or Jackson RR24 Limited Edition??

Jackson Stars: Sharkfin inlays the right way around, built-in gain-boost.

Jackson RR24: Black hardware.

I do want at least one RR shape guitar but I dno what to get.

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/8923/guitarjacksonrr241gu7.jpg
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/7001/guitarjacksonrr242ea9.jpg
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/7558/guitarjacksonstars1xe8.gif
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/3064/guitarjacksonstars2rq3.jpg

I wouldn't know how to go about ordering a J2SP from Japan though, since I don't speak or understand Japanese.

I say go for the Jackson Stars. Japanese build quality has always been kickass and having already played the rr24 I'm pretty sure it'll be teh better guitar.

Mitch, I just stumbled across this video of Pail Gilbert on
youtube...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aYlx5gW90Aw&mode=related&search=

I was wondering if you know the correct way to play this or could point me in the direction of a good tab starting at about 20 seconds in. I don't know the song or anything and I know you're a huge Gilbert fan so if you could help a brotha out that'd be awesome. :kickass:

Yeah what inhe said. Mitch already uploaded a tab for that not so long ago, but it's a slightly different approach, no need for the
capo slave boy

:lol: :lol:

find it here:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6dqr7g

I'm thinking of going for the stars (Bk, gold hardware, no bevels). I'd go for the Stars, but the black hardware IS nice :lol:. Probably easier to get the rr24 as well.

Well I could get the RR24 first because they're limited edition and won't be making a single one of them again and then if I want to, get a Stars a few years after if I'm still into RR shape guitars. I think I will.

Mitch, I just stumbled across this video of Pail Gilbert on
youtube...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aYlx5gW90Aw&mode=related&search=

I was wondering if you know the correct way to play this or could point me in the direction of a good tab starting at about 20 seconds in. I don't know the song or anything and I know you're a huge Gilbert fan so if you could help a brotha out that'd be awesome. :kickass:

Paul Gilbert - Get Out Of My Yard - 01 - Get Out Of My Yard

Mitch, I'm ordering a Jackson Stars Custom RR next week, so my RR-J2SP will be for sale when I get it (after ~4months) ;).

I would buy it if it had the yellow bevels. :p I don't like the plain black look, especially after comparing it with Alexi's yellow and green RR's.

I'm looking forward to seeing your custom though!

The jackson star is just :OMG:
The rr24 cost less but the jackson star is probably quiet pricey, especially to ship from japan. Nicer guitar in my opinion w/ the gold hardware and the gainbooster :kickass:

Well I could get the RR24 first because they're limited edition and won't be making a single one of them again and then if I want to, get a Stars a few years after if I'm still into RR shape guitars. I think I will.

Too me, the gold hardware looks awesome on that jackson stars guitar, but since we don't have the same taste don't trust me on looks :lol:

I'll just say that after playing my JEM for a few months, i went to a guitar store and tried out the RR24 and it felt like a piece of plastic.

(You still haven't posted any recordings after you got the MP-1, if it's even possible)

Too me, the gold hardware looks awesome on that jackson stars guitar, but since we don't have the same taste don't trust me on looks :lol:

I'll just say that after playing my JEM for a few months, i went to a guitar store and tried out the RR24 and it felt like a piece of plastic.

(You still haven't posted any recordings after you got the MP-1, if it's even possible)

I know what you mean about it feeling plastic. As I told a while ago, I played the white one when I was in London seeing Paul Gilbert and it felt very different to what I'm used to but the action was high, it was out of tune and I didn't have a strap to hold it up so I couldn't really play it "properly".

I could post recordings of the MP-1 going line-in but it sounds just as bad as the thing I'm used to use (Korg PX4). You need to hear it in person to really hear how it sounds...or mic up a decent cab with a decent mic, both of which I do not have. :erk:

If I had a poweramp and went line in, it might sound good but on it's own going straight into the computer...no way.

I know what you mean about it feeling plastic. As I told a while ago, I played the white one when I was in London seeing Paul Gilbert and it felt very different to what I'm used to but the action was high, it was out of tune and I didn't have a strap to hold it up so I couldn't really play it "properly".

I could post recordings of the MP-1 going line-in but it sounds just as bad as the thing I'm used to use (Korg PX4). You need to hear it in person to really hear how it sounds...or mic up a decent cab with a decent mic, both of which I do not have. :erk:

If I had a poweramp and went line in, it might sound good but on it's own going straight into the computer...no way.

Well get one then, you had a great tone going with the korg thingie only, so i'm anxious to hear it.

I thought this guitar looked cool so I took a pic
green.jpg

So yeah today I was watching Wintersun live at Summer Breeze, cool gig anyways I noticed when Yari plays he has his thumb is like more on the centre of the guitar neck or kind of low, and he has his hand more straighter compared to say Alexi who has by the looks of it has his thumb more higher and his hand on a bit of an angle. Michael Romeo and Shawn Lane do that hand thingy like Yari does also and there all godly.

Do you think it's a benefit if you start positioning your hand like those guys? I tried it today (normally I have my thumb high instead of low) and it seems to make wide stretch stuff a bit easier but doing vibrato and arpeggios seemed a bit harder

Anyways how does everyone here have their hand? I don't know If I should keep playing like how Alexi does or totally start working on redoing my whole technique because doing wide stretch stuff has always been a weakness for me (I have average kind of sized hands, but nothing like Jari or Paul Gilbert lol)

So yeah today I was watching Wintersun live at Summer Breeze, cool gig anyways I noticed when Yari plays he has his thumb is like more on the centre of the guitar neck or kind of low, and he has his hand more straighter compared to say Alexi who has by the looks of it has his thumb more higher and his hand on a bit of an angle. Michael Romeo and Shawn Lane do that hand thingy like Yari does also and there all godly.

Do you think it's a benefit if you start positioning your hand like those guys? I tried it today (normally I have my thumb high instead of low) and it seems to make wide stretch stuff a bit easier but doing vibrato and arpeggios seemed a bit harder

Anyways how does everyone here have their hand? I don't know If I should keep playing like how Alexi does or totally start working on redoing my whole technique because doing wide stretch stuff has always been a weakness for me (I have average kind of sized hands, but nothing like Jari or Paul Gilbert lol)

This depends on your hand size pretty much, most average-hand-sized people will probably have the thumb somewhere in the middle while playing normal stuff, and then reposition it higher for bends/vibrato. My fingers are pretty long, so i can do most stretches necessary with my thumb quite high up. It's basically just experimentation, play with how you feel is the best.

Muhammed also holds the neck like that but I don't 'cause I don't have enough control like that, especially when doing bends and vibrato.

Obviously, it works for them so just try both and see what feels better for you.

Yeah I guess there's ups and downs for both things for me. One way makes bends and vibrato easier and arpeggios, and the other way makes big stretch stuff easier. But yeah i'll give this other way a try for a couple of days and see how it goes.

Well, in Shawn's Power Solos dvd, he states in one excercise (A very fucking wide diminished string skip thing) that for huge stretches, "it's better to have your thumb wayyy around the back of the neck.

My thumb kind of goes everywhere:lol: I guess it depends on the way I'm playing. For instance, when sweeping I play with it like Jari just because its more comfortable and when doing bends and vibrato I have my thumb real high sometimes even over the top of the fretboard, simply because I feel in control much like someone already mentioned.