Guitar Player's Thread

Let me end this discussion right now.
Trivium should have never even have been compared to the heaviness Nevermore.
That is like comparing sand to bricks. Except the bricks can actually play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oUTwTZ61XI (sand)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsE4ykHKWnA&mode=related&search= (Brick)

As you can see, Nevermore explores soo much more dimensions with their music. Trivium just re-hashes what they seem to think of as "thrash" but it's really metalcore.

I'd also like to state that this is just MY OPINION.

guys I recently started playing the guitar...and wanted to know what kinda stuff would be good to learn...maybe post some links or whatever?
I was told by a friend of mine that it's good to learn scales...so I started looking at blues scale and the pentatonic scale(?)....
I thought it would be good to ask other people as well. So could you guys give me any advice on what to start off with?
cheers.

guys I recently started playing the guitar...and wanted to know what kinda stuff would be good to learn...maybe post some links or whatever?
I was told by a friend of mine that it's good to learn scales...so I started looking at blues scale and the pentatonic scale(?)....
I thought it would be good to ask other people as well. So could you guys give me any advice on what to start off with?
cheers.

First of all, get a good picking hand technique, so you won't have to relearn it later on because you realize it sucks. Just look at vids of your favorite guitarist and mimic his picking technique (unless it's Marty Friedman). Some people might disagree with this and say that there is no correct technique, but i recently changed my picking hand to the way Paul Gilbert holds his pick, and i'm more comfortable with my playing than ever before, but the relearning part is a bitch.

As far as learning to actually play, look at some scales or some licks and play them over and over to a metronome, and learn some riffs aswell. Another great tip is to record yourself while practicing, so you later on can pinpoint mistakes.

That's why you make sure it's a good teacher first.

But how do you know that when you can't play guitar ? :lol:
I know what you mean, but sometimes a beginner is stuck with a bad teacher, without knowing this and later on has to relearn his technique (or in the worst case, get's too uninspired to continue)

But how do you know that when you can't play guitar ? :lol:
I know what you mean, but sometimes a beginner is stuck with a bad teacher, without knowing this and later on has to relearn his technique (or in the worst case, get's too uninspired to continue)

Yeah and guys that are starting out shoud also know that many guitarists somewhere between some months and a year of playing get the feeling everythings damn hard and impossible and just get uninspired. Thats a part every guitarist has to go through i guess :Smug: ......or then im just talking complete bullshit...coud be that too.:saint:

Yeah and guys that are starting out shoud also know that many guitarists somewhere between some months and a year of playing get the feeling everythings damn hard and impossible and just get uninspired. Thats a part every guitarist has to go through i guess :Smug: ......or then im just talking complete bullshit...coud be that too.:saint:

People get inspired by different things aswell, so you just have to find what get's you going, wheter it's learning new songs or practicing technique. One bad teachers do is to keep giving the student new material all the time, wheter they have learned the previous lesson or not.

^^oh shit...ive had the experience. He got really whiney when i coudnt pull off paranoid solo after 2 months of playing!!!!!! I had learned paranoid about 1 week before he requested me to attempt solo. Ofcourse i was like "hey slow down man" Then rest of the lessons he was on vacation coz of some injury caused by tripping of the stage. Then i got a damn cool teacher with pentagram tattoos,long hair and Immortal band shirt. If someone was inspiring then he was! He teached me about powerchords and how to play different stuff. cool guy.

Normally I'm quite against teaching, cause I'm all for having one's own style, but for starters it's good to have someone around to tell you tips and tricks for a while. It's like having someone teach you to drive instead of teaching yourself.

Normally I'm quite against teaching, cause I'm all for having one's own style, but for starters it's good to have someone around to tell you tips and tricks for a while. It's like having someone teach you to drive instead of teaching yourself.

That's what friends and the internet is for ;) Isn't your teacher Conrad Simon?

On another note. I hate to see kids whose parents forced their kid to play some instrument they dont want to play and they are all like "I dont like to play at all...but my mom made me" and then when theyre older they quit it and forget about the playing:erk:

thanks guys, read some good tips on the previous page.
And about the lessons...I could afford them, but there's better things I could spend my money on :p besides, if I have any problems I can go to my friend for advice, but it feels a bit weird as he's 2 years younger than me :p he's damn good tho.
anyways, thanks for the tips, I think the recording this is a very good idea and I should try it.