Guitar Player's Thread

Aye, is that the 'EOR' one? If so, that's the one I've been meaning to purchase from this online shop. Cool pic, anyhoo.

Yah, it's got the weird tongue creature thing from the cover of EOR underneath the logo, but the photographer didn't get that in frame :\ I got it from Ebay...it has no label though so it could be a fake :rofl: Still its good quality if it is fake.

Yeah, I generally don't put any band shirts in the dryer, I dont trust the images to stay on :p Anyway, more guitar speak!

If I were to get an omgjeffloomis signiture I would probably go for the black one. I never really use my trem that much anyway.

You're probably thinking of the C7 Hellraiser:

c7_hellraiser_blk.jpg

Haha fine :rofl: He uses it so much as well as his signiture I just assumed it was also a sig of his :lol: Ah well easy mistake. I would still get that guitar :p

The guitar tone on 'DHIADW' (despite it not being my favourite album) is easily one of the finest in the history of metal recording, in my humble opinion.

I'm only judging from this video, i haven't really heard their songs.

The tone just sounds really muddy with "digital" mids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooooh...I might have to seriously consider getting one of those :eek: Would be my first experience with a 7-string though. I suppose adjusting to that extra string wouldn't be too difficult.

well im pretty much self learned... been playing for 6 years and took lesson only last years and i was as good as the teacher so thats suck..the first one stopped teaching guitar for a better job and the second one moved.. damn they runned away from me i dont think im that annoying lol:saint: well i suggest you to learn some scale.. as you said blues and pentatonic are a good start but mix up your practice or youll end up bored and play less (it happens to me sometimes) and you should do it perfectly at slow first and increase sppeed .. use a metronome or (like i do) a keyboard with drum beats it s a little funnier. For lesson id suggest www.cyberfret.com or www.guitarnoise.com i used to go to guitartricks but now u gotta pay so .. dont forget to use the pinky a lot it pays in the long run. pretty much it hope that helps :headbang:

hehe thx for the advice. I realized I gotta work on the pinky a few days ago, it's really week hehe.
and thanks for those links :)

First of all, get a good picking hand technique, so you won't have to relearn it later on because you realize it sucks. Just look at vids of your favorite guitarist and mimic his picking technique (unless it's Marty Friedman). Some people might disagree with this and say that there is no correct technique, but i recently changed my picking hand to the way Paul Gilbert holds his pick, and i'm more comfortable with my playing than ever before, but the relearning part is a bitch.

As far as learning to actually play, look at some scales or some licks and play them over and over to a metronome, and learn some riffs aswell. Another great tip is to record yourself while practicing, so you later on can pinpoint mistakes.

I been trying not to anchor my hand as much. If I had a teacher like Vai, for instance, I would of learned about the floating picking hand (or whatever it is called) years ago. I would say my picking technique is similar to Malmsteen's in the way I hold the pick at an angle and use small finger movements, not to claim I am as good as him of course.

Not even 'POE'?? That album's a classic.

One of my ALL TIME FAVORITES! :kickass:

I LOVE the vocals in Nevermore, the band wouldn't be the same without them.

+1, just because it isn't screaming or death metal people think it is gay. Warrel can fucking sing, just maybe not that good live.

Also, just for the sake of discussion.. My favorite Nevermore song is My Acid Words.

My favorite song atm. LOVE that riff.

QFT. Plus, not many metal vocalists (particularly those in the vein of Warrel Dane's) are anywhere near as talented, insightful or beautfully eloquent as lyricists.

ecksept alexhi uv corse lawl!1!11

Great lyricist indeed. He actually is a vocalist :lol:

His lead tone is actually my favorite ever.

His tone on record is amazing. Not to big of a fan of Kranks. His live tone isn't anything amazing.

The guitar tone on 'DHIADW' (despite it not being my favourite album) is easily one of the finest in the history of metal recording, in my humble opinion.

You can thank Andy Sneap, one of the greatest producers ever.

Speaking of Nevermore..

mine-1.jpg

That is all.

I hate you! :cry:

The C7 Hellraiser also comes in this fapworthy color:

c7_hellraiser_bch.jpg

SEXY!

I LOVE the vocals in Nevermore, the band wouldn't be the same without them.

but he sings ever song like a mournful ballad regardless of what the rest of the band is doing ;)

well im pretty much self learned... been playing for 6 years and took lesson only last years and i was as good as the teacher so thats suck..the first one stopped teaching guitar for a better job and the second one moved.. damn they runned away from me i dont think im that annoying lol well i suggest you to learn some scale.. as you said blues and pentatonic are a good start but mix up your practice or youll end up bored and play less (it happens to me sometimes) and you should do it perfectly at slow first and increase sppeed .. use a metronome or (like i do) a keyboard with drum beats it s a little funnier. For lesson id suggest www.cyberfret.com or www.guitarnoise.com i used to go to guitartricks but now u gotta pay so .. dont forget to use the pinky a lot it pays in the long run. pretty much it hope that helps

honestly, it pays to do your homework. finding a good teacher is definitely worth it in the long run. many times "sounding like a pro" is all in your technique. and when/if you want to start writing, good luck teaching yourself music theory :p. but even if its just for the basics, it always helps to have guidance. sometimes you don't know your making a mistake. and many times they have a better ear than you and can pick out cool licks easier. I'm all for getting your own solo style and all, but when you're just starting out nothing wrong with learning your favorite guitar solos note for note. how are you going to ever sound like youre guitar heroes if you can't "play" like them? learn the techniques they like, scale patterns/modes that they use, etc. and then the cliche make it your own. and dont get discouraged, just work harder ;)

honestly, it pays to do your homework. finding a good teacher is definitely worth it in the long run. many times "sounding like a pro" is all in your technique. and when/if you want to start writing, good luck teaching yourself music theory :p. but even if its just for the basics, it always helps to have guidance. sometimes you don't know your making a mistake. and many times they have a better ear than you and can pick out cool licks easier. I'm all for getting your own solo style and all, but when you're just starting out nothing wrong with learning your favorite guitar solos note for note. how are you going to ever sound like youre guitar heroes if you can't "play" like them? learn the techniques they like, scale patterns/modes that they use, etc. and then the cliche make it your own. and dont get discouraged, just work harder ;)

I am completely self taught (with the aid of the internet) and I honestly believe I have benefited from that. You DON"T need a teacher to become a good player and have good technique. As far as music theory, it is about the determination to study and apply concepts to your playing. Figuring out pieces out by ear and analyzing song structures will do wonders. You don't need a bloke to show you what to do or how to play. Just fucking practice and always try to correct your errors.

No, you certainly don't NEED a teacher but it sure helps when you're starting out just to get a strong foundation at least. Knowledge and skill go hand-in-hand when it comes to playing your instrument. As a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas are coming to your head, and knowing a decent amount of theory certainly helps in structuring those ideas.

Does anybody else but me think Between The Buried And Me are probably one of the best recent metal bands to emerge? I've been listening to them on a regular basis since their album Alaska back in '05 and they're fucking close to the top of my list of favorite bands.

Their new release Colors leaked last week and it's fucking AMAZING. This has to be the best album to be released in the past few years, I've been listening to it practically nonstop for days now.

Never listened to them, that's possibly due to my subconscious nature to avoid anything with the word "buried" in it. Because metalcore bands seem to love that word.