Guitar Player's Thread

Erm, could someone please help me? XD

Today, when I was playing guitar, I noticed that my picking technique is pretty much shit/dangerous for my arm. When playing at mild speed, I pick with my wrist, that is fine. The problem is when I start picking at high speeds. Lets take the Bodom Beach Terror for example, when I start the intro of the solo, the speed is fine, but the lower part of my arm is very stiff and I seem to be anchoring with my pinky and doing the picking movement with the lower part of my arm (from the elbow). I'm not really sure how to explain, but it just seems plain weird to me :erk: .

I dunno where to go when it seems to these things, so sorry for asking alot of questions. I'm just so damn insecure with my technique and stuff :\.

Thanks, alot.

Edit: When I pick with anchor with my pinky, I feel a bit of tension in my whole arm.

Edit: quote for clarity:
That aswell. But that's just knowing about the principles of correct practice, always warm up if you're going to do extreme strecthes.

I actually tried to see how i could stretch. With my index on the 3d fret i can play controlled with the pinky on the 8th fret, but i can reach to the 9th fret, but i don't have the strenght to really play like that, as you said.

i actually just checked my reach, i can actually sound notes at 3-10 (3rd fret b string, 10th fret e string) however in terms of practical playing i'd say 3-8. 3-9 is pushing it.

and in terms of picking technique, RELAX. i prefer picking with finger movements imo, but its just like anything physical. you're stronger, faster, whatever, when you actually relax. it's like skiing - you have to give up control to gain control. only move what you need to move, don't use muscles that don't need to be activated (opposing muscle theory :p)

and don't anchor you're pinky, it'll hinder you later ;). rest your hand on the strings not being played, somewhere near the bridge area. and relax :p. i think you're tensing cause you're not staying within yourself. speed is built, its not just an overnight thing, so don't play faster than you're physically able to.

Erm, could someone please help me? XD

Today, when I was playing guitar, I noticed that my picking technique is pretty much shit/dangerous for my arm. When playing at mild speed, I pick with my wrist, that is fine. The problem is when I start picking at high speeds. Lets take the Bodom Beach Terror for example, when I start the intro of the solo, the speed is fine, but the lower part of my arm is very stiff and I seem to be anchoring with my pinky and doing the picking movement with the lower part of my arm (from the elbow). I'm not really sure how to explain, but it just seems plain weird to me :erk: .

I dunno where to go when it seems to these things, so sorry for asking alot of questions. I'm just so damn insecure with my technique and stuff :\.

Thanks, alot.

Edit: When I pick with anchor with my pinky, I feel a bit of tension in my whole arm.

Try not to anchor your fingers so much. I used to do this also but I found that if you just "lift" your (unused picking) fingers up, almost like floating over the strings, you will benefit from it in the long run. As far as whether you should tuck your fingers in like Paul Gilbert or out like Malmsteen or Laiho, it is all personal preference. I prefer out because it is much more relaxed and allows you to do more finger movement (circular picking). Having them tucked in or in a fist almost forces you to have to pick with only your wrists. Another common problem with people new to guitar is when they try to play fast they tense up and use their arm. Please have the discipline to work slowly on your alternate picking technique and when playing fast pick lightly and don't fret too hard. This should feel very relaxed after much practice and you will eventually gain muscle memory. Also, when picking rest your hand on the bridge to slightly palm mute the strings to find a good sound (if you haven't already).

Wow, thanks! I've been practicing for about 2 hours now, since the first response. I stopped anchoring and tried relaxing, that worked wonders! Now, I don't touch my guitar while picking, except for some things. Playing with my fingers out is WAY more comfortable, weird to say, but with my fingers tucked in, it actually feels as if my blood doesn't go through all the way.. and I can't move as freely as with my fingers out :lol:

Thanks alot, dudes, I REALLY appreciate it :D

Btw, I was about to ask Mitch if he had a "Curse of Castle Dragon" guitar pro tab, but I pressed F5 on the one I was currently looking at and I saw MDuCran. Doh! :lol:

:D:D:D

Oh now i got pissed on thomann! WTF! I Emailed em why my randall hasnt left the warehouse yet coz it has been 2 months ago i ordered it. They tell me the order was "hanging" on a damn Jackson STD RR/KV Gigbag that they woud get in stock in DECEMBER! I mean WTF...? They woud have waited till december with that order? I was about to raise holy hell with those guys but they had automaticly split the order in 2 so i woud get the randall shortly and the damn bag in december. Man thats what i call bad service! I was NEVER notified of that little "problem" in the order that it woud take till december if i didnt want to split the order in 2. Fortunately that split of it didnt cost me any extra money so i calmed down :p still pretty shitty deal.

Not much going on here at the moment, so i thought i'll make some kind of poll, but without the actual poll :p

How do you sit with your guitar, classical or "standard" ?

I forgot to mention that i sit in classical, since i thought that it was necessary in order to shred, after I saw MAB's instructional :lol:

RR-style... in that case thats classical i guess.. standard on normal guitars

Not much going on here at the moment, so i thought i'll make some kind of poll, but without the actual poll :p

How do you sit with your guitar, classical or "standard" ?

Kind of hard to do the classical position with a strat or les paul body, so standard position for me (the missionary position of guitar if you will :lol:) Classical position is better though because it makes you play with better form and makes those PG and Shawn Lane stretches a little easier.

Kind of hard to do the classical position with a strat or les paul body, so standard position for me (the missionary position of guitar if you will :lol:) Classical position is better though because it makes you play with better form and makes those PG and Shawn Lane stretches a little easier.

How is it any harder to sit in classical position with a strat type body?

Anyone else submitting anything for the forum jam?

I still need an answer from HomerJ_123 and I still need to record something myself!! I'm also waiting on Mystique and hopefully Mr. Fast too?

How is it any harder to sit in classical position with a strat type body?

With a V it fits in between your right thigh, assuming you are right handed, whereas a strat shape is rounded and does not fit as comfortably. Worse for your posture from my experience.

With a V it fits in between your right thigh, assuming you are right handed, whereas a strat shape is rounded and does not fit as comfortably. Worse for your posture from my experience.

On the contrary! Atleast for me.

Anyone else submitting anything for the forum jam?

I still need an answer from HomerJ_123 and I still need to record something myself!! I'm also waiting on Mystique and hopefully Mr. Fast too?

How many solos will there be if those 3 plus you record yours?

How many solos will there be if those 3 plus you record yours?

23276711.jpg