Guitar Player's Thread

^Thanks for the info, but the major problem seems to be that i can't really "fit" the guitarsound with the backing track. It sounds really out of place, like you just pasted it onto the backing track, where as your tone fits, and it actually sounds like a part of the whole thing.

This is a short soundtest, i'm satisfied with this tone, but if i record it over a backing track it just sounds wrong. Would you consider this as a decent pre-mixing tone?

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=FF3DA9736DFBB684

I can see what you mean. If that was me, I wouldn't be satisfied with that tone at all. As Altitudes said, it sounds like you're playing on the neck pickup and everything is choking. Add more gain, take off some mid and give it a slight treble boost. Maybe if you can, add a bit of presence or something too because it sounds quite "dull".

So you used an effect processor/pedal to record that? That tone sounded fantastic, as if it were miked. Does it have a speaker simulator? Either way, good tone and playing ;)

Yup.

korgpx444.jpg

£100 and I've used it practically everyday since I've had it for about 2 years, amazing little thing.

It does have speaker sims, yeah. That's why it sounds better through my computer than my MP-1, because that doesn't have a speaker simulator. :erk:

Mystique1721 said:
Mitch, even after 6 months of no REAL practice, you're still such a clean player! that recording sounded really great.

btw, are you now the only one left to record something for the jam?

Thanks! :Smokin: I think I might try and start practising again when I get my Jackson Stars...whenever that is...I'll have enough money to buy 9 by the time that gets here. :cry:

Me and Homer are the only ones to record for the jam. I don't know when he's going to do it but he said at the weekend so I'm going to make MONDAY the deadline.

inhe said:
You're right, there are other sounds that don't have as much of the characteristic pod-mids. First lick was, second was on the bridge.

Do you have the metalpack or anything? I've enver really paid attention to much talk about POD or POD XT's but I've always had the impression that you need some sort of attatchment pack, to connect the POD through the USB port and use Cubase or something. Same with DKFH, I don't know how to get that working but I'm not using Cubase so I'm not sure if that's why.

If I had a POD or had ever used one, I might be able to give some advice on tone but I've never played through one, unfortunately.

I can see what you mean. If that was me, I wouldn't be satisfied with that tone at all. As Altitudes said, it sounds like you're playing on the neck pickup and everything is choking. Add more gain, take off some mid and give it a slight treble boost. Maybe if you can, add a bit of presence or something too because it sounds quite "dull".

I'll fiddle around with it tomorrow and see what i come up with.

Do you have the metalpack or anything? I've enver really paid attention to much talk about POD or POD XT's but I've always had the impression that you need some sort of attatchment pack, to connect the POD through the USB port and use Cubase or something. Same with DKFH, I don't know how to get that working but I'm not using Cubase so I'm not sure if that's why.

If I had a POD or had ever used one, I might be able to give some advice on tone but I've never played through one, unfortunately.

Those packs cost 50$, and from what i've heard, they're not worth it. This was recorded through the "line in" of the Pod, but you can just aswell use the usb and record it digitally.

Anyways, thanks for the help, i'm off to sleep now!

Yup.

korgpx444.jpg

£100 and I've used it practically everyday since I've had it for about 2 years, amazing little thing.

It does have speaker sims, yeah. That's why it sounds better through my computer than my MP-1, because that doesn't have a speaker simulator. :erk:

I've heard only good reviews of the pandora's box. Might look into purchasing one. I still can't find a place to download a full version of an editing program such as cubase or cool edit. I'm not to internet savvy when it comes to download torrents and stuff. Can you direct me to a link?

I have the metal amp pack for my PODT XT, it's pretty decent, especially Marshall bigbottom and MS Criminal... here's a friends raw jam with MS criminal tone, various stuff like Death and the healing solo, some of battle against time, Jani's young guitar demonstation, lai lai hei etc :p

http://www.sendspace.com/file/no0148

So, it's my day off from work and I was playin' the old geetar and ended up recording Racer X's VIKING KONG.

After listening back to it, I can now hear about 3/4 wrong notes during the main 3 string arpeggio theme thing and there's a nice lil' out-of-tune bend during one of those harmonies too. :lol: But hey, I have work tomorrow so I can't be bothered to sit here and re-record the fuckin' thing again. It took me long enough to get it right in the first place 'cause I haven't PRACTISED in over 6 MONTHS!!!!! :zombie:

The BT is in E so I played it in standard tuning on my Ibanez RG770 and I only played up to the fast picking section in the middle 'cause as it says on the soundclick page, I haven't practised enough to play that anywhere near the cleanliness that I'd accept so I just stopped there.

I was actually supposed to be recording my solo for the forum jam today but I got distracted and ended up doing this instead.

Right ok, enough ranting, here's the link:

Soloing In A Harmonic Minor Is Fun!!!

(I did upload it on soundclick but for some reason, it plays really slow on there so you can download it instead).

you quit playing at the good part :p

For all you Gus G and Firewind fans out there, I got started on a tab of " Tyranny. " Only got up to the first pre-chorus tonight, because I don't have time to figure out the bass licks during that part right now.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xvh597

Anyway, there's the link to what I have so far. It should be pretty correct. The song is insanely simple. :headbang:

alright so here's the deal, i've been playing power metal a lot. but now i can't decide on if i wanna keep being a power metal band or if i wanna become a death metal band.:cry:

alright so here's the deal, i've been playing power metal a lot. but now i can't decide on if i wanna keep being a power metal band or if i wanna become a death metal band.:cry:

AMG! Do you have to stick to just one genre? Look at Opeth. If you still can't decide the next logical thing to do is kill yourself :)

How can people not practice for so long? it seems weird to me :erk:
that black xiphos is awesome none of that stupid chameleon shit.

question for everyone...what's everyones settings on their amps? mine is...

gain: 8
bass: 4
mids: 6
treble:10
contour: all the way to the right, but only for real ballsy metal tones. its usually at like 7 or 8 when i practice with my band because we play a range from blues-funk-rock-metal.
channel volume: 10
master volume: anything above 3 is just fucking insanely loud.

oh and my amp is a marshall valvestate 8240

another question....whats a good equalizer? just a simple cheap one that can boost the tone that i have now when im playing live on a solo or whatever, BOSS maybe? i dont think i want to spend over 100 bucks.

My normal settings
Gain: 7-8 Maybe a little less for practice
Bass: 8
Mid: 5-6
Treble: Low, 3-5 Too much treble sounds like shit
Presence: 5-6
Volume: 11 HAHA

I usually play mostly on the bridge pickup but I go through Yngwie and PG phases too ;)

Peavey XXX

Gain 6.5
Bass 5.5
Mid 4.5
Treble 5.5
Channel: Crunch
Master vol: Max
Channel vol: about 2-3

Sounds a lot better doing it that way than having high channel vol

Sounds nice i think.

just a practice ibanez 10 watt amp (GTP10)

Gain:6
Volume: depends on my settings, when i play with the bridge pu its usually at 3-4. If it's my neck pick up and I turn down the gain, then my volume goes up to around 5.
Treble: 6
Middle: 7
Bass: 10

I've heard only good reviews of the pandora's box. Might look into purchasing one. I still can't find a place to download a full version of an editing program such as cubase or cool edit. I'm not to internet savvy when it comes to download torrents and stuff. Can you direct me to a link?

Steve Vai actually used one to record a song called "Feathers" so they must be good if he's using one. :kickass: His clean tone on it is fantastic so he must have used some other gear with it or something.

You can get CEP easily from Soulseek. Best downloading program that I've ever come across.

I have the metal amp pack for my PODT XT, it's pretty decent, especially Marshall bigbottom and MS Criminal... here's a friends raw jam with MS criminal tone, various stuff like Death and the healing solo, some of battle against time, Jani's young guitar demonstation, lai lai hei etc :p

http://www.sendspace.com/file/no0148

Have you guys ever heard of Bulb? He uses the POD XT and the Metal Pack and it sounds nothing like any of this.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=147108

Srs, this is the shit.

Icarus Lives!

enjoi17 said:
you quit playing at the good part :p

Feel free to carry on. :p

For all you Gus G and Firewind fans out there, I got started on a tab of " Tyranny. " Only got up to the first pre-chorus tonight, because I don't have time to figure out the bass licks during that part right now.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xvh597

Anyway, there's the link to what I have so far. It should be pretty correct. The song is insanely simple. :headbang:

Never heard the song but it sounds promising. Post it again when it's updated. :kickass:

Mix them both up...

Work full time, 6 days a week and you'll feel the motivation seep out of your body. I actually think it's just me, most people would probably feel more need to play since they're not doing it as much anymore when they start work. Oh well.

failure_of_threads said:

contour: all the way to the right, but only for real ballsy metal tones. its usually at like 7 or 8 when i practice with my band because we play a range from blues-funk-rock-metal.

Bass: 10
Mid: 10
Treble: 10
Gain: 10
Presence: 10
Master Volume: 10
Reverb: 10
Echo: 10

srs

So, it's my day off from work and I was playin' the old geetar and ended up recording Racer X's VIKING KONG.

After listening back to it, I can now hear about 3/4 wrong notes during the main 3 string arpeggio theme thing and there's a nice lil' out-of-tune bend during one of those harmonies too. :lol: But hey, I have work tomorrow so I can't be bothered to sit here and re-record the fuckin' thing again. It took me long enough to get it right in the first place 'cause I haven't PRACTISED in over 6 MONTHS!!!!! :zombie:

The BT is in E so I played it in standard tuning on my Ibanez RG770 and I only played up to the fast picking section in the middle 'cause as it says on the soundclick page, I haven't practised enough to play that anywhere near the cleanliness that I'd accept so I just stopped there.

I was actually supposed to be recording my solo for the forum jam today but I got distracted and ended up doing this instead.

Right ok, enough ranting, here's the link:

Soloing In A Harmonic Minor Is Fun!!!

(I did upload it on soundclick but for some reason, it plays really slow on there so you can download it instead).

I agree with Squeee, Inhe and Mystique too: maybe you haven't been properly practising in over six months, but you can still play guitar, and play it in this awesome way... you've been so good, I wouldn't know how to say it! :)

And sure you need practice but hey, don't forget that you've got talent by nature too, like with your ability with tabs, so... don't be too severe with yourself, Mitch.

Anyway, again, this song you played is one of the most beautiful, to me... good choice as well.

And the guitars you already have are beauties, you know it too, but I hope you'll get your Jackson soon anyway... I have a thing for that guitar too, it's my fav, I even prefere it to my also beloved Fender Stratocaster.

Thanks phenom and inhe for comments on my 5150 videos! The sound is much better and tighter in the room ofcourse, my settings are:

pre-gain: 5
low: 6,5
mid: 4
high: 6

resonance: 6,5
presence: 6

I should have turned the volume up a bit, but I forgot :erk:.

Damn, Mitch...everything you record sounds so perfect! Great job!

that black xiphos is awesome none of that stupid chameleon shit.

oh and my amp is a marshall valvestate 8240

another question....whats a good equalizer? just a simple cheap one that can boost the tone that i have now when im playing live on a solo or whatever, BOSS maybe? i dont think i want to spend over 100 bucks.

I woudnt go with a boss stompbox EQ if i was you. I think it sucked major ass when i tested it. Id rather go with a MXR 10 band Equalizer or the MXR Kerry fucking king 10 band Equalizer.

EDIT: Ive gotten so fucking angry at ALL Boss stompboxes ive tried so ive totally given up:lol: only one i actually liked and thought it was decent was the compressor.