Guitar Player's Thread

Yeah, Brandon did say that. Lucky!

Forum jam will hopefully be posted in about an hour or two. I'm actually not satisfied with my solo at all but since I'm the one that's been delaying it the most, I can't really spend any more time on it.

Yeah, Brandon did say that. Lucky!

Forum jam will hopefully be posted in about an hour or two. I'm actually not satisfied with my solo at all but since I'm the one that's been delaying it the most, I can't really spend any more time on it.

Did you improvise your solo or use the one from the mag?

I'm sure it'll be great, Sorry for not participating.. I felt I wasn't good enough and not in the same league as you guys :\. Maybe next one.

Seriously, the only in another league is Mitch. I screwed up alot on my solo, but i learned alot aswell, while trying to get a good tone with the gear i was using, aswell as the physical parts (muting, holding the pick etc.) So even if you're not technically advanced yet, it surely will help you get there faster.

Well, that makes me feel better :). Thanks. I've improved alot in these last 10 months of playing. But I mean, I don't expect to be able to play PG, Malmsteen.. not even CoB (Well, the harder solos..) at only 10 months ( I mean, perfectly, I can play SOME). Perhaps this year, I'll be able to play some things

I'm sure it'll be great, Sorry for not participating.. I felt I wasn't good enough and not in the same league as you guys :\. Maybe next one.

Don't be silly, Mystique never took that approach and you shouldn't either. You don't have to be good to participate in a forum jam. Hell, you don't even have to play guitar!!! Just have some fun with it.

And don't forget, some people prefer Kurt Cobain/Brain May/Jimmy Page to John Petrucci/Paul Gilbert/Steve Vai. Amazing chops doesn't mean a thing in some/most cases. Come up with a simple but cool sounding melody and that's FINE.

I think we should do another GP4 forum jam soon too. That way, EVERYONE can take part, even if they're not good enough to play some of the insane ideas they may come up with. We got about 15 solos in the first one, that was great!!

Did you improvise your solo or use the one from the mag?

Neither, I wrote one. It basically changed every day I played it 'cause I would be unhappy with how it sounded. I'm actually quite pleased with it now but I'm way too out of practise to actually play it to a level that I'm happy with. :cry:

Hopefully when I get my RR, I'll practise a bit more. I can't get a new guitar that took me 4 month to save up for and just stick it up in my room forever aye?

Squeee said:
Well, that makes me feel better . Thanks. I've improved alot in these last 10 months of playing. But I mean, I don't expect to be able to play PG, Malmsteen.. not even CoB (Well, the harder solos..) at only 10 months ( I mean, perfectly, I can play SOME). Perhaps this year, I'll be able to play some things

Please, for your sake, don't rush it. :erk: No Malmsteen solos after 10 months...trust me.

Still, that stuff isn't easy, even after 2 years. Keep it at a pace that you can handle and you'll be fine.

Rush it and try playing stuff full speed and you'll end up like all those fucking youtube kids playing a shitty unrecognisable version of the Kissing The Shadows solo on their out of tune fake strat.

I think we should do another GP4 forum jam soon too. That way, EVERYONE can take part, even if they're not good enough to play some of the insane ideas they may come up with. We got about 15 solos in the first one, that was great!!

I found it some days ago when i was looking through my GP files, i thought it was funny that my solo had so difficult fingerings, that i would probably never be able to play it :lol:

none of those either.:)

By the way mitch, do you have that gp4 jam? I would love to hear it, I forgot how my solo went.

Still, that stuff isn't easy, even after 2 years. Keep it at a pace that you can handle and you'll be fine.

Rush it and try playing stuff full speed and you'll end up like all those fucking youtube kids playing a shitty unrecognisable version of the Kissing The Shadows solo on their out of tune fake strat.

:lol: Haha. But I don't have a fake strat though :(.

I'm gonna learn some May Den now.

:lol: Haha. But I don't have a fake strat though :(.

I'm gonna learn some May Den now.

I'm not saying you did have, but that's the case with alot of those wannabes. :puke:

Right, I'm about to start the editing as soon as I've eaten some chocolate biscuits. It's coming...

Do you have to? :lol:

I CANNOT FUNCTION WITHOUT CHOCOLATE!!!!!

:lol:

When was this? Was this like gp only thing or did the people record their parts? That sounded pretty sweet!

Nah, that was it. I posted a GP4 backing track and then everyone just uploaded a GP4 solo over it. I saved them all and put them all over an extended version with additional drum fills, keyboards and a special ending. :D

All you need is GP4 and the will to take part. :kickass:

Btw, I recorded the jazz-standard "Donna Lee" by Charlie Parker (Trumpet) some time ago and uploaded it on my soundclick-account.

I really, really recommend learning that standard WITHOUT the tab but WITH the sheet (for example in the real book).

Benefits:
The standard consists of many notes. By avoiding looking at a tab, you have to try different fingerings and different possibilities. The effect is, that you get to know where the notes on your fretboard are lying. It's better than just learning them by rote because you actually work with them.
Don't tab it. If you are not familiar with sheet-reading, it will take you a few days, because it's pretty exhausting. Every day when you try to get a bit further, you have to check the parts you already figured out. Accordingly, you have to repeat the notes again.

The other thing is, that Donna Lee is played in up-tempo. You won't go far with usual 3-Notes-per-string fingerings, so the whole standard really improves working with different and unusual fingerings.

If anyone here sees his chinks in one of the mentioned things, he should check the standard out.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=665502