Guitar Player's Thread

Yeah, i was going to mention that, the older melo death bands from the 90's were great back then, like ATG. But newer bands aren't as cool, but then again i don't really like most new stuff that comes out, they either concetrate on making the song as heavy as possible, or something that sounds catching, and i like epic guitar shredd!

same for me. well, it doesn't have to be epic guitar shred. I mean look at old-school In flames, they were so great back in the day and their music is relatively easy to play. But listening to all their new material gives you the same vibe as all those other new "metal" bands. tbh, a lot of modern-day music disgusts me.

same for me. well, it doesn't have to be epic guitar shred. I mean look at old-school In flames, they were so great back in the day and their music is relatively easy to play. But listening to all their new material gives you the same vibe as all those other new "metal" bands. tbh, a lot of modern-day music disgusts me.

Haha, it should've said "Epic or guitar shred" :lol:

I got a new laptop and it can actual handle a few tracks on Cubase, I'm also beginning to study audio recording in school so I made a test recording of the BAM intro. Any comments or constructive criticism are appreciated!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/e77vto

Very nicely played! tone is pretty good too, but it sounds kinda weak at the end of that 2nd lick, like it kinda started to fade out...or maybe i'm just trippin...

why would i want this over this?

You need a preamp to use the 2496. Something like a little mixer for example. The fasttrack includes the preamp.

I have that audio card and i say that you should steer the fuck away from it, its shit and not worth the money
Ah, ok, I see your point......Not! :rolleyes:
Some information would be cool. I think that you won't get a better soundcard in that pricerange and that it's absolutely adequate for a single person who wants to record good sounding music.

Other soundcards in that price range: EMU 404/Terratec Phase 22/Maya

I got a new laptop and it can actual handle a few tracks on Cubase, I'm also beginning to study audio recording in school so I made a test recording of the BAM intro. Any comments or constructive criticism are appreciated!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/e77vto

Cool :) I would mix the bass a bit more in the background and add less reverb to the lead guitar in Riff 2.

Some information would be cool. I think that you won't get a better soundcard in that pricerange and that it's absolutely adequate for a single person who wants to record good sounding music.

Other soundcards in that price range: EMU 404/Terratec Phase 22/Maya

Hey Corny, is that what you use? cuz your recordings seem to turn out with good quality. or do you have the m-audio with the preamps?

I use the m-audio without the preamps, they (the preamps) are in a little mixer by soundcraft (ca. 100€), so I run guitar->v-amp->mixer->m-audio 2496...

Of course, if I had more money, the last 3 units would be replaced. But it works very, very good for a single homerecording person. So I focus on saving money for a new guitar to complement my Ibanez.

Very nicely played! tone is pretty good too, but it sounds kinda weak at the end of that 2nd lick, like it kinda started to fade out...or maybe i'm just trippin...

Thanks, talked to you about this already :p

Cool :) I would mix the bass a bit more in the background and add less reverb to the lead guitar in Riff 2.

good call, thanks :) fixed that stuff now I think :D

Psht, it has given me nothing but trouble, also you should inform people who want it that you need to buy a Preamp if you plan to record anything with it, the out and in for the card is Phono only, so you cant use minijack plugs for your speaker system feks, you will have to get a conversion kit or whatever its called. Eventually you'll get up into the price for a high end Creative card, which are much easier to work with. Ontop of that, the controls for the card are horrible and confusing, takes a good while till you know how to work the gigantuar panel of options, and most of which will not even cooperate. IF you have good experience with recording and terms, then yes, teh card is for you, if not, it will only be a headache and a waste of money. There are way better cards out there that have much more features than this stripped down soundcard.

You need a preamp to use the 2496. Something like a little mixer for example. The fasttrack includes the preamp.

Hm, well i actually wanted to start running mic to amp tbh. can i do that with the soundcard? i've heard that with the fast track it stores the tracks in the unit itself or something? I was under the impression that I had to hook a microphone to the mic output on my computer, and then record it with something like audacity or cubase, and i needed a soundcard/something like it to NOT overload my computer. is this correct?

Psht, it has given me nothing but trouble, also you should inform people who want it that you need to buy a Preamp if you plan to record anything with it, the out and in for the card is Phono only, so you cant use minijack plugs for your speaker system feks, you will have to get a conversion kit or whatever its called. Eventually you'll get up into the price for a high end Creative card, which are much easier to work with. Ontop of that, the controls for the card are horrible and confusing, takes a good while till you know how to work the gigantuar panel of options, and most of which will not even cooperate. IF you have good experience with recording and terms, then yes, teh card is for you, if not, it will only be a headache and a waste of money. There are way better cards out there that have much more features than this stripped down soundcard.

I tried running direct straight from my preamp to the computer, which sounded HORRIBLE

I.e, if you record with a microphone (like i do, to get the sound of my amp and cab), you need a microphone preamp, but also this is very good for line in guitar aswell. Such as Behringer MIC200 is a very good choice for both. I have the MIC100, and it does the job for me. Its what saved this soundcard so i continued using it, but seeing all the money i put in extra gear for it, i'd say you can get better gear.

I.e, if you record with a microphone (like i do, to get the sound of my amp and cab), you need a microphone preamp, but also this is very good for line in guitar aswell. Such as Behringer MIC200 is a very good choice for both. I have the MIC100, and it does the job for me. Its what saved this soundcard so i continued using it, but seeing all the money i put in extra gear for it, i'd say you can get better gear.

line in as in direct out?

now is the track recorded directly by computer's recording software? or do i need an external unit to record it then transfer the audio into the computer? cause i guess im missing the purpose of a sound card

edit: I guess I'm just curious as to a list of things-to-buy. i'm the kind of person i dont' want to waste money on shitty equipment, i'd rather invest my money on something with good quality, and worthwhile.

edit: I guess I'm just curious as to a list of things-to-buy. i'm the kind of person i dont' want to waste money on shitty equipment, i'd rather invest my money on something with good quality, and worthwhile.
Good decision, there are millions of people who own tons of shitty guitars instead just buying 1 or 2 good ones.

@muffin: I DID say that you have to get an preamp to use the m-audio 2496. Btw, I don't like the Behringer pre-amps which are included by their mixers. It's a fact: I didn't have homerecording (besides normal workstations) experience when I bought the soundcard and it worked perfectly. I had absolutely no problems with it (and no headache).

The Fasttrack makes a little mixer with a preamp unnecessary, but I prefer a mixer because I am accustomed to it.

Good decision, there are millions of people who own tons of shitty guitars instead just buying 1 or 2 good ones.

@muffin: I DID say that you have to get an preamp to use the m-audio 2496. Btw, I don't like the Behringer pre-amps which are included by their mixers. It's a fact: I didn't have homerecording (besides normal workstations) experience when I bought the soundcard and it worked perfectly. I had absolutely no problems with it (and no headache).

The Fasttrack makes a little mixer with a preamp unnecessary, but I prefer a mixer because I am accustomed to it.

but what exactly does an upgraded soundcard do? does it process the audio into something my computer can adequately read?