Guitar Player's Thread

yeah, like my thumb and the pick both touch the string. but i've noticed that the pinched harmonic sound actually comes easier, or sounds clearer, when you're playing on a better amp. I remember when i was playing on my friend's Mesa, it was easier for me. but maybe it had something to do with his gain...

Concurred. Pardon my Captain Obvious tendencies but a guitar that's not half as bad as, say, a Squier Strat tends to result in better "squeals", I've found.

Concurred. Pardon my Captain Obvious tendencies but a guitar that's not half as bad as, say, a Squier Strat tends to result in better "squeals", I've found.

That is because of the single coils probably. Pinch harmonics aren't rock science either, just hit the string on a down-stroke with the thumb. Higher treble settings help, but I hate too much high frequencies in my lead tone >8(

im asking how many notes alexi can play in a minute
or the highest bpm he can keep up with

think of petrucci's psycho video, when he says he can play at 5 million :D

I was going to ask something similar. I mean, I know how to do it, but I'm not getting good at it.... i guess we should just practice it over and over like a billion times 'till it happens.

the hardest thing for me was figuring out how much flesh to use. its different for every guitar, as the sweet spot is also different for every guitar.

general rule: bass strings (especially 52+ e strings) = more flesh, and consequently treble strings = less flesh. don't be afraid to go like 75% flesh on the bass strings, most people's problem is that they use too much pick and not enough flesh.

It was like that for me, I had a hard time with it and then just one day it clicked. I can do it pretty much on demand now, even on upstrokes sometimes (still somewhat tough to pull off).

im not that cool :cry:

whats alexi's bpm?

i think he said in an interview, when bashing chris impelitterri, "i can do sixteenth notes on 216 BPM, and even i think that's stupid." if you really want the actual interview i suppose i could dig a bit.

im asking how many notes alexi can play in a minute
or the highest bpm he can keep up with

think of petrucci's psycho video, when he says he can play at 5 million :D

you realize it's a parody? :lol:

the hardest thing for me was figuring out how much flesh to use. its different for every guitar, as the sweet spot is also different for every guitar.

general rule: bass strings (especially 52+ e strings) = more flesh, and consequently treble strings = less flesh. don't be afraid to go like 75% flesh on the bass strings, most people's problem is that they use too much pick and not enough flesh.

Yeah, i've noticed that also. but there are some frets that are much easier than others. like the 12th fret on the high E string...i can never seem to get that one! but the the 3rd fret on the A string always comes so naturally for me.

Yeah, i've noticed that also. but there are some frets that are much easier than others. like the 12th fret on the high E string...i can never seem to get that one! but the the 3rd fret on the A string always comes so naturally for me.

its really hard to give you a positioning, but i'd say it's completely a right hand error. every guitar is different, you just have to get to know your guitar.

like anonymous said, find your sweet spots. you should have 3-4 really nice ones, so just screw around. and like i said, you need to adjust flesh percentage (haha wtf) for each string. again, know your guitar, know your strings. every string requires a different amount of "flesh application." and the higher you go up, as youve discovered, the sweet spots shift, just slightly. but honestly, if you have the right amount of "flesh application," that's the most important factor. you can still get an AH at a shitty spot if you apply the pick motion correctly. also, one thing to note is the tonality of the AH's change depending on which "sweet spot" you employ.

Ok, I just downloaded Cool Edit Pro 2.1 (trial) and Kristal. CE doesn't support VST-Plugins (like EZDrummer), Kristal seems to be a pure Audio-Recorder.

So you can't use the ezDrummer with the programs, sorry. Either you download a standalone drum-sampler (that means a program which doesn't need a sequencer like kristal to run) or you buy/dl a bigger program like Cubase.