Guitar Player's Thread

ok dude...if u have no clue about patterns u rly need to do some theory...thisi s one of the basic things in guitar plying...especially for playing solo's...wait i got sth for you...
EDIT: sry can't find it rite now...just search utoob for patterns and u'll find a shitload of examples...

Dude...you gotta know what a scale is...ill admit im not that good at theory my self but i know what a scale is....

Edit: postjump

ok dude...if u have no clue about patterns u rly need to do some theory...thisi s one of the basic things in guitar plying...especially for playing solo's...wait i got sth for you...
EDIT: sry can't find it rite now...just search utoob for patterns and u'll find a shitload of examples...

Mmmh alright, thanks.

EDIT: I've thought before that I should learn this stuff, but hadn't had any motivation for it, but these seem to be pretty fucking good excercise! Thanks again flyingv_guy :)

No, theory is definately NOT something "needed". Scales, yeah, that should be known. But people should stop bumming the fuck out of precious "theory" in an attempt to sound smarter. This discussion has been done before though.

No, theory is definately NOT something "needed". Scales, yeah, that should be known. But people should stop bumming the fuck out of precious "theory" in an attempt to sound smarter. This discussion has been done before though.

Nothing is needed, you don't even need to play guitar. Some people do awesome things with theory, some suck. Some are awesome without knowing nothing, and vice versa. Think of it as a tool to help you make music. It sounds as if you're against everything that theory stans for, even though i myself don't like people who know all the theory in the world and go brag about it but can't make a decent song.

i guess u misunderstood me ( i explained it a bit shitty i guess ;) ) i've ment he should rly learn the theoretic AND practical part of patterns

@phenom: Why do you want to read critics after a video like that? The same goes for your old video. If you KNOW that it's very sloppy, why do you need somebody to tell you that you suck? The only advice someone can give after those videos is "try an easier song and don't upload badly played stuff".

Yeah good questoin but i wanted CRITICS THEN! and i got some too.."practice your timing" "try with metronome" and shit. Too bad i had wrong tabs so it sounded shit. I know all the songs on youtube much better but i havent had the damn patience to upload any and my school is taking so much time :( Projects all the time and essays. Everyone sometimes go through a time to play harder stuff than they can...luckily im more critical to my own playing nowadays so. Really...no one "sucks" they just need to improve various areas. Or yeah if its RLYRLY sloppy but yeah.

I am pretty skilled at sweep picking but it took a ton of practice and patience. The best advice I can give you is to practice over and over. Get your hand into a nice fluid down and up pattern. Right after you hit a note try to gently mute it with the edge of your picking hand. Make sure you can hear each note individually and you don't muffle them.

Many times people will do sloppy sweep picking and you can hear only the top and bottom string. Everything else is just a mess. Practice extremely slow and listen for each perfect sound. Then gradually increase your speed.

When you are able to master sweep picking you will amaze everyone (until they start asking you to play full songs instead of just tricks).