Guitar Player's Thread

he's a good guitarist and all, but his band is a bit boring...from the songs i've heard at least.

I respect what he's done for the instrument, but he's been milking the same damn pentatonic solo for ages. I think the biggest thing is tho, he said it perfectly himself in an interview i read, "i write basic heavy tony iommi style. if i can't play it on one string, I dont' bother" or something like that. yeah ok beauty in simplicity, but fuck, technique is like almost essential for a metal guitarist these days :p

here, I uploaded it again. maybe it'll work this time?
http://www.sendspace.com/file/r5rzsp

no, please no BLS :erk:

hm, i still get a blank score when I import it... :mad:

yeah I'm really being a pain, sorry, but any chance you've got the .gp5 import?

I respect what he's done for the instrument, but he's been milking the same damn pentatonic solo for ages. I think the biggest thing is tho, he said it perfectly himself in an interview i read, "i write basic heavy tony iommi style. if i can't play it on one string, I dont' bother" or something like that. yeah ok beauty in simplicity, but fuck, technique is like almost essential for a metal guitarist these days :p

hm, i still get a blank score when I import it... :mad:

yeah I'm really being a pain, sorry, but any chance you've got the .gp5 import?

yeah dude. he's just boring. period.

and I'll try to see if I can import it to GP from powertabs...i've never tried so let's see if i get it...

yeah dude. he's just boring. period.

and I'll try to see if I can import it to GP from powertabs...i've never tried so let's see if i get it...

File > Import. that's in GP, not PT. thanks a ton.

But, it must be said, In This River at Dime's Rockwalk Induction has got to be one of the most metal moments in recent American history :p

Alright...so it wouldn't work if i just tried to import the power tab into GP. but it seems to have worked now that I exported from powertab into midi and then imported the midi into GP.

so this should work http://www.sendspace.com/file/tcd95f.

btw, why couldn't you just use the powertab version?

and it's no problem, just helpin out a fellow guitarist :)

std10.jpg

:OMG:

The KK signature amp is awesome.

All in all, you seem to be a cool guy. But I don't like how you talk about a subject you are not familiar with. You talked bad about Nevermore without hearing some songs properly and same with Zakk now.

It's absolutely ok for me when you find him boring. And it's true that he uses the pentatonic scale over and over.

But concerning the technical side, you are wrong (again). Watch this whole video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArHvSMUlzdQ

It's absolutely sick hybrid and alternate picking.

By the way, he first played the classical stuff. But when he joined Ozzy (with 20 years) he wanted to do something different from Randy.

Zakk also states that you need to have to "good lord" in your heart in order to be as great as him and Dimebag.

god i hate kids that can play "fast" but dont know anything about scales and just play a bunch of random notes, they'll just turn out like slayer and CC although i love those two bands...god the solos reak with fail

I'd love to be a kid still and had lots of time to practice instead of having uni and not much time,LOL.it's not that I don't know the scales and that,but I'm not an experienced tabber(in fact I've never tabbed a solo right in my life,lots of rythm parts and not perfect,but a solo never).it's just that it's REALLY hard for me to figure out what other guitarists are doing.it's not that I need the tab for learning every single note by heart and play it in a shitty way.it's to get ok the patterns I get wrong and to check which scales are they using.when I know that,I don't watch the tab to play,I just combine the scales and the patterns until I get the solo or improvise,but that's once I know more or less what's going on.if not I can only get the rythm guitar and improvise some scales over it.

thanks for the tab Mitch.

Hey guys, I need a advice :D
Im looking for a new amp, only for practising @ home or with my band, no one for stage... I heard that Peavey should be nice.. any advices ?

All in all, you seem to be a cool guy. But I don't like how you talk about a subject you are not familiar with. You talked bad about Nevermore without hearing some songs properly and same with Zakk now.

It's absolutely ok for me when you find him boring. And it's true that he uses the pentatonic scale over and over.

But concerning the technical side, you are wrong (again). Watch this whole video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArHvSMUlzdQ

It's absolutely sick hybrid and alternate picking.

By the way, he first played the classical stuff. But when he joined Ozzy (with 20 years) he wanted to do something different from Randy.

Ah, see, thats exactly my point. Are you a classical player? not that im assuming, but being a classical player myself I'm honsetly not that impressed with his "hybrid" picking. if i wanted complex counterpoint with intertwining lead melodies etc. i'd listen to Masakazu Ito, John Williams, Ricardo Iznaola, etc. Which isn't to say my "hybrid" technique surpasses his, however i'd liken it to the scenario of someone who goes to see break dancing for the tumbling. In reality, if they wanted to view complex tumbling, they should go to a gymnastics meet instead

And my point with lacking in technique, yeah he can pick through those pentatonic passages pretty fast, but thats really all he does. sure he's got some nice acoustic songs, piano ballads, but technically he's not nearly as versatile a player as MJR, PG, or even Jeff Loomis.

Which leads me to my next point. its been said many times in this forum by numerous people, "technique isn't everything." the same reason why its also been said, although respect should be given to players such as Rusty Cooley, Francesco Fareri, etc., many people voiced that they don't really enjoy the music. Yeah jeff loomis has killer technique; i however greatly dislike his sense of music. to me, it sounds like strange time signatures for the sake of strange time signatures, uneven transitions to syncopated single note riffs, etc. it sounds like he wrote 5 seperate riffs and strung them together without viewing the song as a whole. and I did consent that he had some nice solo ideas, though imo the songs tend to detract from his playing; I Voyager, Final Product, etc. I also dislike Warrel Dane's vocals. And again, you say I did not "investigate" nevermore enough; I owned This Godless Endeavor and Enemies of Reality at the time of that publication. to me, his "progness" is overdone. I just dislike his sense of melody, song structuring, the way the songs seem to drag on, and the way some parts just seem out of place to me.

EDIT: Just thought it would be a slightly neat insight. Tbh, my (now former) band mate, believe it or not, knows Zakk personally. His stepdad drives the BLS tourbus. He knows him well enough to have 2 signed guitars from Zakk, and Zakk brought him out to Ozzfest Tennessee to open for In Flames in 2005. Just the other week, during the BLS show in Arizona, in the section where Zakk usually pulls a 10 min guitar solo deal, my buddy played on stage instead :lol:

Ah, see, thats exactly my point. Are you a classical player? not that im assuming, but being a classical player myself I'm honsetly not that impressed with his "hybrid" picking. if i wanted complex counterpoint with intertwining lead melodies etc. i'd listen to Masakazu Ito, John Williams, Ricardo Iznaola, etc. Which isn't to say my "hybrid" technique surpasses his, however i'd liken it to the scenario of someone who goes to see break dancing for the tumbling. In reality, if they wanted to view complex tumbling, they should go to a gymnastics meet instead
After 2 years of E and normal A-Guitar, I took lessons on the classical. I'm not into it and I'm not good at reading directly from the sheet, but I touched it. I don't know the players above, but do they really use hyprid picking or are they regular fingerpickers?
And my point with lacking in technique, yeah he can pick through those pentatonic passages pretty fast, but thats really all he does. sure he's got some nice acoustic songs, piano ballads, but technically he's not nearly as versatile a player as MJR, PG, or even Jeff Loomis.
It's not all he does, you forget his immense cool vibrato and his soloing full of soul. It's obvious that PG, MJR... are technically better, I never claimed the opposite. But seriously, his technique and esp. alternate picking are very good, very fast and very accurate. "yeah ok beauty in simplicity, but fuck, technique is like almost essential for a metal guitarist these days
"
<--- That's totally pushing it, it sounds as if Zakk had no good technique at all.
Which leads me to my next point. its been said many times in this forum by numerous people, "technique isn't everything." the same reason why its also been said, although respect should be given to players such as Rusty Cooley, Francesco Fareri, etc., many people voiced that they don't really enjoy the music.
That's exactly why Zakk Wylde is NOT a shredder. He writes awesome ballads and straight songs for BLS and Ozzy. He's absolutely not all about technique.

So the undeniable conclusion is: Zakk Wylde has a very good technique. Zakk Wylde's songs are not all about soulless shredding.
That has to be accepted by every musician, Zakk-Fan or not.
EDIT: Just thought it would be a slightly neat insight. Tbh, my (now former) band mate, believe it or not, knows Zakk personally. His stepdad drives the BLS tourbus. He knows him well enough to have 2 signed guitars from Zakk, and Zakk brought him out to Ozzfest Tennessee to open for In Flames in 2005. Just the other week, during the BLS show in Arizona, in the section where Zakk usually pulls a 10 min guitar solo deal, my buddy played on stage instead :lol:
Was that the bad gig where Zakk had an argument with his wife and threw his guitar away?

And I don't want to warm-up the nevermore thing again, but I remember you saying something like "chugga-chugga on the 7th string".

Zakk Wylde is sloppy as constipated shit! Maybe clean for blues through a clean channel but overdriven with a wah sounds fuckin' horrible to my ears. Hitting the strings as hard as you can and applying uncontrolled vibrato is not my thing.

This is all opinion by the way. Arguing over guitarists goes back to the whole apple/orange thing. All preference.

yeah,you really got a point there.I must say that I agree with you about Zakk,never liked him,and I really hate this video of Pantera's Primal Concrete Sledge(I think it was at an Ozzfest vid)when Zakk comes onstage,get's Dime's guitar and starts doing random and uncontrolled tremolo things which really suck(I know this is not something to judge Zakk's enormous and long career,but it anoys me a lot).but anyway it's just matter of tastes.

@shredtastical:I don't see your point about Jeff Loomis(I won't go into Nevermore stricly,because a band is what shows the guitarist,and you have a great example with Roope-COB where he doesn't show half of his abilities and Chris Broderick-Jag Panzer,which again doesn't really show Chris's real abiities).I mean,he plays strange scale combinations and he invents some of the strangest and oddest sweeps of this world(f.e. the one in I,Voyager),but I find that he has a great sense for music.