Guitar Player's Thread

After 2 years of E and normal A-Guitar, I took lessons on the classical. I'm not into it and I'm not good at reading directly from the sheet, but I touched it. I don't know the players above, but do they really use hyprid picking or are they regular fingerpickers?

100% classical technique. honestly, classical guitar has helped my electric playing a ton. especially the baroque era, and the romantic spanish era. I went to see masakazu the other month actually. was great :p

It's not all he does, you forget his immense cool vibrato and his soloing full of soul. It's obvious that PG, MJR... are technically better, I never claimed the opposite. But seriously, his technique and esp. alternate picking are very good, very fast and very accurate. "yeah ok beauty in simplicity, but fuck, technique is like almost essential for a metal guitarist these days
"
<--- That's totally pushing it, it sounds as if Zakk had no good technique at all.

like i said, beauty in simplicity. but there are times when i think that sometimes he showcases just straight up simple stuff. I think it was inhe who said, "phrasing, not emotion" or something. but hey, his wah stuff is actually really neat imo :p

That's exactly why Zakk Wylde is NOT a shredder. He writes awesome ballads and straight songs for BLS and Ozzy. He's absolutely not all about technique.

So the undeniable conclusion is: Zakk Wylde has a very good technique. Zakk Wylde's songs are not all about soulless shredding.
That has to be accepted by every musician, Zakk-Fan or not.

I won't go into Nevermore stricly,because a band is what shows the guitarist,and you have a great example with Roope-COB where he doesn't show half of his abilities and Chris Broderick-Jag Panzer,which again doesn't really show Chris's real abiities.

quoted for truth. I believe jeff loomis could show many greater facets of his technique than he does. exactly my opinion with zakk also. Zakk does write great ballads though. In This River, as previously mentioned, ftw.

I mean,he plays strange scale combinations and he invents some of the strangest and oddest sweeps of this world(f.e. the one in I,Voyager),but I find that he has a great sense for music.

I, Voyager sweeps - 6th string roots with an add 9, for most of them.

strange scale combinations - is that kind of like MJR thinking he can "make up" a scale? :lol: they're just different modal fragments with perhaps a chromatic passage. although I'm not really sure what you mean by jeff's strange scale combos. modulation perhaps?

Was that the bad gig where Zakk had an argument with his wife and threw his guitar away?

lol no idea. wasn't there :lol:. but it was literally like their last show on their most recent tour.

And I don't want to warm-up the nevermore thing again, but I remember you saying something like "chugga-chugga on the 7th string".

aye.

This is all opinion by the way. Arguing over guitarists goes back to the whole apple/orange thing. All preference.

basically :p

...new videos of Paul Gilbert

sometimes i think a guitarist is like fine wine; they get better over time :p

lol @ 3 string guitar, acoustic tapping is kewl. good find :kickass:

@Altitudes: I don't think shredtastical and me were arguing here, we're just exchanging opinions :p

Well, it's all about taste. Zakk Wylde can't be compared to Loomis, Vai, MJR, PG, right. Other than that, he has a good rock-technique as can be heard on the CDs and live. And his feeling is great imo.

Whatever he's not my favourite when it comes to guitarists.
My top-5-shredders, what are yours?
1. Steve Vai
2. Paul Gilbert
3. Michael J Romeo
4. Andy Timmons
5. Joe Satriani

^I wouldn't know who to put in a possible top-5 shredders, hmm, but I have to say that yours is a very good one, to me... but... no Alexi in it, Corny? Maybe I would have added him...

&#9532;Victim of the Night&#9532;;6619975 said:
^Why you laugh, Mr. Smartass?
:lol:

Alexi isn't in it, because I don't see him as a shredder, more like an awesome metal guitarist. And to be honest, the guys from my list are playing on a totally different level than Alexi.

^Ok, now I see. Thanks for explaining me your point. :)

EDIT: oooo quite random, but I just noticed...

666vd5.png

....:D :heh:

Hehehe... but I'm more of this, I think. --> :saint:

And:
Andy Timmons is not mentioned often, but he's great, very intense:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaVVZYOvMFY[/youtube]

hm, I can't see the youtube link, so:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaVVZYOvMFY
Thanks for posting the link, I couldn't see the youtube thing as well...

And I hope not to be wrong but... isn't he the other guitarist who played in a live for the Ibanez anniversary in 1997, along with Gilbert and Vai?

'Cause if it's him then I have to agree, he's really great.

Im sorry didnt mean to be smartass...it just cracked me up since you cant possibly compare steve vai,paul gilbert,michael romeo with alexi...alexi is a awesome metal player. Not rly a shredder:)

i have been looking for some shit over the net and found this.

three.jpg

more of it here: http://www.carbonchamber.com/steampunk/villanizer.htm

and over here:

personally i like this customization and offcourse there will be peopel here that will say its cool or will shit on it the purpose of my post is just for sharing with you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im sorry didnt mean to be smartass...it just cracked me up since you cant possibly compare steve vai,paul gilbert,michael romeo with alexi...alexi is a awesome metal player. Not rly a shredder:)

But it's fine, no worries... I wasn't angry when I called you "Mr. Smartass", it was previously the lil' title under your nickname that suggested me to call you like that first, so... doesn't matter.
And to talk about what I said to Corny before... I didn't compare Alexi to anyone, really, I only said that maybe I would have put him in the list, only that. :)

&#9532;Victim of the Night&#9532;;6620034 said:
But it's fine, no worries... I wasn't angry when I called you "Mr. Smartass", it was previously the lil' title under your nickname that suggested me to call you like that first, so... doesn't matter.
And to talk about what I said to Corny before... I didn't compare Alexi to anyone, really, I only said that maybe I would have put him in the list, only that. :)

Yah its fine...damn i forgot i had that under my name :lol: Alexi would be on my list of awesome metal players though :headbang::headbang::headbang:

i have been looking for some shit over the net and found this.

three.jpg

more of it here: http://www.carbonchamber.com/steampunk/villanizer.htm

and over here:

personally i like this customization and offcourse there will be peopel here that will say its cool or will shit on it the purpose of my post is just for sharing with you guys.

That's really nice, looks like it used to be a JS30RR. So thats a pretty massive improvement :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanna play along to a parkway drive track and they play in Drop B...My guitar is in Drop C. To use the key changer on my avance audio thingy on the computer that can lower and higher pitch...how much should i higher the pitch? In other words...how many steps Lower than drop C is drop b?

I wanna play along to a parkway drive track and they play in Drop B...My guitar is in Drop C. To use the key changer on my avance audio thingy on the computer that can lower and higher pitch...how much should i higher the pitch? In other words...how many steps Lower than drop C is drop b?

1 half step