Guitar Player's Thread

The guys from Nile also use those picks too. At least I know Karl does, not sure about Dallas.

So what's everyone learning?

I might give the solo in "Living the Hard Way" by Racer X a shot. And also the solo in "Heart of a Lion". I doubt I'll be able to play 'em perfectly though.

For strings, I can never find just the right gauge, at the moment I'm using 9-46 Custom-Lights, cos I like the high end light, but the low end I like a bit chunkier... I'm trying D'Addario's right now, but they sound like crap, :erk: I think I might go back to Dean Markleys... For picks I use the Jim Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm... I began using them and like the slightly rounded edge and no give whatsoever... I since found out the Tony MacAlpine uses them exclusively, so that confirmed it as my pick of choice :D

You want the high strings light but the lower strings chunky? Well the perfect strings for that are D'Addario Chrome 10-48s imo. Very nice.

Reactions: Night Reaper
For strings, I can never find just the right gauge, at the moment I'm using 9-46 Custom-Lights, cos I like the high end light, but the low end I like a bit chunkier... I'm trying D'Addario's right now, but they sound like crap, :erk: I think I might go back to Dean Markleys... For picks I use the Jim Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm... I began using them and like the slightly rounded edge and no give whatsoever... I since found out the Tony MacAlpine uses them exclusively, so that confirmed it as my pick of choice :D

Fore something like that you could try something like this. Most brands make packs with these gauges though if you don't want to get EBs.

skinnytop.jpg

So what's everyone learning?

I might give the solo in "Living the Hard Way" by Racer X a shot. And also the solo in "Heart of a Lion". I doubt I'll be able to play 'em perfectly though.

I've been playing a lot of older stuff like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Van Halen etc. It's a lot of fun! :D

I've also been "practising" a bunch of solos from CoB, for example the solo from the song 'Children Of Bodom'. :)

hahahahaha my friend just told me the link to pachebels canon whit the gold guitar one ( which is the best one ) and told me he never saw that video is like 2 years old

kind of crazy at the start sweeps and finger picks at the same time

and this is a pretty cool guitar duel

Last edited by a moderator:
I might have a look at the 10-48's, I think 52 might be a little too chunky, I have used those before, but that was when I was playing more rhythm and less lead...

I'm currently learning "Theme From Missing" by Vangelis, played on guitar by Tommy Emmanuel, I'm learning it to play at my older cousins wedding...
I'm also learning Overture 1928 by Dream Theater for fun. And boy is it Fun!!! :headbang:

Cool video btw...

Im curently learning the 24th caprice. Dammit, one the variations is a very hard chords pregression. Im not used to play these types of chords, me playing mostly metal.

you should see that guy play classical and jazz, search Chris Broderick on google and go to his video section on his website and give each one a listen.

btw, I am also practicing Overture, yeah it is fun and it is getting my fingers a lot smarter and more nimble. I can do shit now that I didn't know I could do! I am also learning the arp section to Altitudes by Jason Becker.

Whil we are on the subject of strings, how often do you guys change yours, iv had mine on for about 2 weeks, but I am too lazy to go to the store to get some, so im getting mine next week. But is it healthy to leave on strings for 3 weeks? or should I change them more frequently?

I'll check out Chris Broderick definately...

I had my last set of strings on for about a year can you believe it, cos I was mostly playing classical guitar for school, but they lasted the whole time... They were dead as anything, but they still worked... I've changed them since, and got back into playing, and it's only been about 2 weeks and already they seem tarnished... I think once a month would be plenty though, I guess it depends on how much and how hard you're playing...

EDIT: Elixers have that extra special coating, so they last heaps longer! :worship:

I use D' Addario EXL110s (.010 - .046)
I wash my hands before I play cuz I am assuming it lasts string life playing with non-oily hands, the thing is the fretboard feels kinda rough on my fingers after about an hour. It could be that I got dead skin hanging from my callused fingers, but idk.