Guitar Player's Thread

*Explanation*

Thanks a lot for the explanation. Cleared up a a lot of my confusion.

*Recordings*

Sound so goddamn good every time! Love that tone!

*Recordings*

I don't want to sound like a broken record but could this be due to the soundcard quality?

Tone is in the fingers. That's why you can't sound like him.

Yes, but I think it is different in this case.

I often think that. I honestly can't stand Eruption, Master Of Puppets, Crazy Train, Stairway To Heaven etc JUST because everyone whores the fuck outta' them when they first start playing.

I like to learn the stuff that noone else does.

Or how every COB fanboy posts a recording of Kissing the Shadows :p

I don't want to sound like a broken record but could this be due to the soundcard quality?

Tbh, i'm starting to think so, but i'm going to look into it a bit more, but it's weird, because when i record vocals with my condenser mic, they sound really awesome and high quality (I recorded the last thing i posted with that mic, even though it's not really suited for mic'ing amps).

Yes, but I think it is different in this case.

Exactly, i'm glad you got it.

Or how every COB fanboy posts a recording of Kissing the Shadows :p

Haha, and that! I was going to mention it but couldn't be bothered.

That reminds me, I changed my Myspace profile from a Hatebreeder theme to a Follow The Reaper theme to celebrate my FTR recording I did the other week. The other 3 songs are all from that album. :kickass:

http://www.myspace.com/recordingsofthereaper

That reminds me, I changed my Myspace profile from a Hatebreeder theme to a Follow The Reaper theme to celebrate my FTR recording I did the other week. The other 3 songs are all from that album. :kickass:

:OMG: Dude, your tone is sooo close to the originals on those intros! (Turn down bass plz)

Fuck! I want to record sooo badly! It is killing me! Do you use GP midi for the drums and bass? (I'm guessing so)

Since I thought that improvised riff that I played in that 2nd tone test sounded pretty cool, I thought I'd record it and see what it sounds like, so I did.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/l2ae6w

I also recorded it with my RR in D and my Warlock in C#.
That's nice!

Oooh, I had no idea that <-BraveWarheart-> had a MySpace profile... :p *laughs* :)

That tone is awesome for bodom/sinergy stuff! But i wish you'd turn up the volume on the guitars.

:OMG: Dude, your tone is sooo close to the originals on those intros! (Turn down bass plz)

Fuck! I want to record sooo badly! It is killing me! Do you use GP midi for the drums and bass? (I'm guessing so)

Thanks! :) I actually used a Line 6 Spider II for all of them except the FtR one. Crazy eh?

And I used GP5 MIDI drums and bass for FtR and then Beatcraft for the other three.

&#9532;Victim of the Night&#9532;;6724223 said:
Oooh, I had no idea that <-BraveWarheart-> had a MySpace profile... :p *laughs* :)

Lies!

That tone is awesome for bodom/sinergy stuff! But i wish you'd turn up the volume on the guitars.
:headbang:yeah,bass and drums are so high,but great playing anyway:kickass:
Great Mitch, but I'd say turn the volume of the keys a bit down.

Can you guys be a bit more specific on which songs you're referring to so I can have another listen? I usually think that the guitars are too high and are drowning out the rest of the instruments. Maybe it's because I'm using headphones or something but they sound ok to me. :cry:

Thanks! :) I actually used a Line 6 Spider II for all of them except the FtR one. Crazy eh?

Whatever you use sounds good :headbang:

Can you guys be a bit more specific on which songs you're referring to so I can have another listen? I usually think that the guitars are too high and are drowning out the rest of the instruments. Maybe it's because I'm using headphones or something but they sound ok to me. :cry:

The bass guitar in all the songs seemed to be too high. Keys in Bodom after Midnight drowned out the guitar lead. Thats what I remember from listening.

Ok thanks. And yeah, I usually turn the bass up quite a bit 'cause it gives it more low end (obviously) and I usually have my guitar tone set so it's quite thin (the way COB used to do it too) so I need the bass from the bass guitar and drums. I didn't realise it was that bad.

uh oh...just came from band rehearsal. After all the soloing/guitarplaying overall and growling/screaming the last thing i want to think of is music/guitar :lol:

^Thats not what i meant. I do use earplugs. When one 120 watt solidstate amp+50 watt tube head+cab is on almost full with drummer in background you'd be deaf in no time :lol: Im just so sick of it right now...growling/playing for 5 hours is pretty shitty in the end of it :lol: After that session im pretty tired and the last thing id do is get home and pick up my guitar again!

Ok thanks. And yeah, I usually turn the bass up quite a bit 'cause it gives it more low end (obviously) and I usually have my guitar tone set so it's quite thin (the way COB used to do it too) so I need the bass from the bass guitar and drums. I didn't realise it was that bad.

I do that too, that's cool.

The only thing I'd critizise is that the lead keyboards in BaM are too loud.

EDIT: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!

I just switched on the TV to watch football and they played Last Christmas!!!! I hoped I could get away without this song this year.

When i started to "mix" my song, i used headphones, and i thought the volume levels were okay, then i switched to the speakers, and the guitars almost drowned in the mix.

I've been working on some riffs, to make it into a full song, and i wanted some riffs not to be totally diatonic, but the problem is that i don't want it to be a necro song, because i can't pull that off, so i've been comming up with some stuff to bind it together. Anyways, i came up with this thing, that tone could be pretty cool if i learnt to mix stuff better.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/f0597h

WARNING: LONG READ.

When i started to "mix" my song, i used headphones, and i thought the volume levels were okay, then i switched to the speakers, and the guitars almost drowned in the mix.

I've been working on some riffs, to make it into a full song, and i wanted some riffs not to be totally diatonic, but the problem is that i don't want it to be a necro song, because i can't pull that off, so i've been comming up with some stuff to bind it together. Anyways, i came up with this thing, that tone could be pretty cool if i learnt to mix stuff better.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/f0597h

studio monitors, bro. i made some post earlier on the HUGE importance of a good monitor set (albeit more as a counterexample), you at least need a good set of heads.

well, do you know the purpose of buying studio monitors/headphones for mixing/mastering audio? most consumer speakers/headphones maybe add a little treble, subtract a little bass, or what have you, in an attempt to create the best quality sound for your current audio. However, even though this may be an improvement (high quality bose vs cheap ass target brand shit), it distorts the sound. studio monitors give you (hopefully, if they're good quality) the truest reproduction of the sound without anything really added to it. So as where good speakers/headphones make their own additions for added sound quality, studio monitors subtract virtually everything and just give you the raw sound. if you mixed/mastered on headphones/regular computer speakers, you might get it to sound great on your personal gear, but you go to play it through your car, or your friend's stereo, and it might sound like shit because you mastered the audio on a distorted channel. same with your amplifier, i'm thinking. you've perfected (or whatever) your tone through your distorted headphones, but they're jsut that; distorted. to acheive the same tone, try and work the the knobs without phones. at least memorize how to get good tone just from your speaker, so that way when you ahve to perform, you know how to make your guitar sound good, even if you have to practice with phones in (i know how this is :p).

a monitor is a special kind of speaker. a studio monitor gives you the truest reproduction.

most all speaker sets/headphones add some frequencies to the sound in their own attempt to create what they believe is a better quality sound. however, that's very subjective and different for every brand, every quality, etc. Sometimes bad quality speakers/heads can't handle a full spectrum of frequencies. Many times their additions accentuate the main parts of the sound to cover for their deficiencies. A studio monitor will give you the truest reproduction of the sound without any additions, and (hopefully) reproduce the entire spectrum of frequencies. this is very important when mixing/mastering because you want to get the purest, best quality sound before people put their own EQing on it, and/or their speakers play it a bit. For instance, if you go to Radioshack, one set of speakers might have a really great treble, but shitty bass, and another might have creamy mids, but shitty high/low frequencies. that's just the quality of the sound reproduction. A studio monitor's purpose is to give you the truest reproduction of the sound without altering it as said above.

so, in that way, your headphones, depending on the quality, are probably dipping out the bad frequencies. most headphones can't handle a full spectrum of sound, so they kind of cut out the extremes, especially the bass, which is probably why it sounds different in the heads. and seeing as its a cheap ass amp, that's probably why its better :p

consumer grade speakers usually "color" the sound; think of it like makeup. here's an email i received from a very trusted friend who's in the music business and makes his living off of his home studio (srsly, actually):

I'm currently using a pair of M-Audio BX8 monitors. They've served me well and still work great but I want to get into something that's better. I'm also looking to replace them sometime soon. I'm looking at getting a pair of Event ASP8 Studio Precision monitors. I like my BX8's but the Events have always been my dream monitors. I've also looked at Adam A7 monitors. I've heard very good things about them but I'm not sure they'll have enough accurate low frequency response. So I'm probably going with the Events.

As for what to look, or rather listen for in studio monitors, you want total accuracy. Good detail and full, flat frequency response. For now - don't bother with any system that involves a sub-woofer. Just get a pair of speakers that have a wide, flat frequency response. The frequency response will be found in the spec section usually. Human hearing typically runs between 20Hz and upward to 14kHz to 20kHz. As we get older we tend to loose our ability to hear higher frequencies. Guitar amp speaker cabinets start around 45-60Hz and go up to maybe 9kHz to 11kHz (give or take) for example. For a studio monitor, I'd say getting something that goes down to 30-50Hz and up to say, 18-20kHz is more than adequate. And don't buy anything without listening to it.

You also want to check the THD (total harmonic distortion) in the specs - the lower this number, the better. Dynamic range @ 0dB is another spec to check out. Usually you want a bigger number here. Like 100dB+. Because we're in the digital age this can go well above 100dB.

But the most important thing to do is just listen to the speakers. Use some music you're very familiar with when evaluating the speakers. Bring your own CD or iPod and adapter to plug into the store's system if necessary. Ultimately your own listening test is the most important factor in choosing studio monitors.

Another important thing - you need to be aware that with studio monitors, mic's and headphones, higher price doesn't always equate to higher quality. That's why I bought these M-Audio's I'm using. I didn't feel like I was hearing a $200-300 dollar difference between them and the next price point above them. Trust your ears. For me, to get speakers I truly feel are noticably better sounding than my M-Audio BX8's I'm going to be spending more than 2 to 3 times as much money. And the stuff I'm considering for replacing my BX8's also sounds as good or better than speakers that cost even more.

Cousumer grade stereo speakers will often "color" the sound - they impose their own "hyped" response curve to the sound. They usually over emphasize the high & low frequencies in other words. Often the difference between listening through consumer speakers and studio speakers is pretty dramatic. Studio speakers are designed to give you the truth about what you've recorded. No hype, makeup etc.

Talk to you later.

Hope that helps.