Guitar Player's Thread

WARNING: LONG READ.

Yeah i know, but they won't change the volume (or maybe they actually do). I compare my mixes to songs/mixes i like, and try to set the master eq equal in terms of volume/bass etc. My point was that when i compared Mitch's recordings to the original, his mix had relatively low volume. Or maybe you you were actually encouraging Mitch do buy studio monitors :ill:

EDIT: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!

I just switched on the TV to watch football and they played Last Christmas!!!! I hoped I could get away without this song this year.
Hahaha!! :lol: ...I think I can understand you a bit, yeah... I like that song, but it starts boring me pretty much every time that I listen to it.

By the way... at the moment, I'm listening to a song called "Money"... and no need to say who made this song, I think. :cool:
...I like the bass riff in this song a lot, by the way.

Yeah i know, but they won't change the volume (or maybe they actually do). I compare my mixes to songs/mixes i like, and try to set the master eq equal in terms of volume/bass etc. My point was that when i compared Mitch's recordings to the original, his mix had relatively low volume. Or maybe you you were actually encouraging Mitch do buy studio monitors :ill:

consumer grade speakers often boost highs and lows. which is why the volume probably sounded a little off to a lot of people, but not to mitch who mixed the songs in consumer grade heads/speakers.

┼Victim of the Night┼;6726930 said:
Hahaha!! :lol: ...I think I can understand you a bit, yeah... I like that song, but it starts boring me pretty much every time that I listen to it.

By the way... at the moment, I'm listening to a song called "Money"... and no need to say who made this song, I think. :cool:
...I like the bass riff in this song a lot, by the way.

Jacko is awesome, but you made me playing my "money for nothing" vinyl by Dire Straits :D:headbang:

Jacko is awesome, but you made me playing my "money for nothing" vinyl by Dire Straits :D:headbang:

I'm glad of this, haha... yeah, because you know, Dire Straits has always been my first musical myth.

And John Illsey is awesome too, a great bass-player... I'm still in love with "Sultans Of Swing", not only for Knopfler's magic work with his ethereal Stratocaster's sound, but also for the bass in this song... it's gonna be an endless love, I'm sure.

┼Victim of the Night┼;6727117 said:
I'm glad of this, haha... yeah, because you know, Dire Straits has always been my first musical myth.

And John Illsey is awesome too, a great bass-player... I'm still in love with "Sultans Of Swing", not only for Knopfler's magic work with his ethereal Stratocaster's sound, but also for the bass in this song... it's gonna be an endless love, I'm sure.

:kickass::kickass::kickass::kickass::kickass:
Mark Knopfler rules and so Dire Straits!besides Sultains I think my favourite would be Solid Rock,:)

I like Dire Straits! Mark Knopfler solo career is so boring though :lol:

Vinnie Moore is super clean....

If it wouldn't be too much to ask can someone upload the clip of Vinnie from the Guitar Heroes performance?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Dire Straits! Mark Knopfler solo career is so boring though :lol:

Vinnie Moore is super clean....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr2-tDPe8v8

If it wouldn't be too much to ask can someone upload the clip of Vinnie from the Guitar Heroes performance?

i think he was one of the last of the legato (PG) shred school :p

on another note, i just switched my picking technique to emulate something more in the style of MJR, Malmsteen, Matthew Pigott, etc. I used to pick with the "front" edge of my pick (the side closest to the nail, farthest away from the palm), however now I'm experimenting with a back edge pick like all these guys do, with a hyper-extended thumb versus a bent thumb. only thing i'm having trouble with is whether or not to rest with the fleshy part of the hand (the palm muting fleshy part) on the bridge when i sweep, or to let it float instead. I did determine, however, that I wasn't isolating my thumb/forefinger and wrist enough, and it was turning into too much of a whole arm motion. I tried to see if MJR employs the "floating" sweep hand, or if the back of his hand is sitting on the bridge when he sweeps, and it was hard to tell. can anyone maybe provide a bit of help to what he uses?

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=54eZyO3cdGg[/ame]

I opted for the hand resting on the bridge (right around the fine adjustment screws).

oh and btw, i got to play the steve vai JEM at my local used guitar shop today :p

I would say don't analyze as much. Most likely any way you pick you can achieve fast speeds. I play with the pick at an angle and palm mute nearly everything, much like Paul Gilbert, except my fingers are more relaxed like Laiho or Romeo. Obviously palm muting gives you different sound and makes things sound more tight. When Romeo does sweep taps I believe he is floating his picking hand.

I'm not sure what you mean by "back edge" of the pick. Do you mean the opposition direction of how PG angles the pick...

I would say don't analyze as much. Most likely any way you pick you can achieve fast speeds. I play with the pick at an angle and palm mute nearly everything, much like Paul Gilbert, except my fingers are more relaxed like Laiho or Romeo. Obviously palm muting gives you different sound and makes things sound more tight. When Romeo does sweep taps I believe he is floating his picking hand.

I'm not sure what you mean by "back edge" of the pick. Do you mean the opposition direction of how PG angles the pick...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YvsOKTPaks

actually romeo's fingers are deceptively highly relaxed. even though they're extended, there's no tension in them, they're just dead weight almost, and although his pinky is touching the body, it's not hindering his extension. i actually think that especially for someone with smaller hands, his picking hand is archetypal.

yeah, PG catches what i like to call the "front" edge. I used that technique for awhile actually. he's almost at a right angle with his pick, whereas now i'm aiming for hitting the part of the pick closer to the palm, or the back edge (instead of making a "C" with my thumb and forefinger, more of a teardrop shape). it's a more compact movement imo, and less tension involved in the hand muscles. it's just a more relaxed & efficient position to me, i'm really happy with tonight's practicing results.

you guys are making the same mistake i did. Do not over-analyze shit. You could probably find any guitar players with any type of picking technique you can think of

you guys are making the same mistake i did. Do not over-analyze shit. You could probably find any guitar players with any type of picking technique you can think of

True. Just for the record i don't try to get a similar technique to PG/MR/AL...I try to find the thing that is most comfortable and practical for my playing. Michael Romeo is still the king:headbang: My picking hand is like a crossing of alexi and something else i can't really put my finger on. Theres 1 persons picking style that hits me unusual and unpractical...Timo Tolkki(but thats just me...im sure others might find it good and he himself too):lol::lol:
SEE BELOW

i really didnt think his contribution to Guitar Heroes-CD was impressing either...

:kickass::kickass::kickass::kickass::kickass:
Mark Knopfler rules and so Dire Straits!besides Sultains I think my favourite would be Solid Rock,:)
Yeah, great song!! I love the way it starts, and the final guitar solo too. :)

As far as I'm concerned, other Dire Straits songs that I like too much are... "Tunnel of Love", "Skateaway", "Hand in Hand", "Where do you think you're going?", "Romeo and Juliet", "Brothers in arms", "Walk of Life" (uhhh-uhh *whistles* haha), and... and I stop here, I talked too much. :p

I like Dire Straits! Mark Knopfler solo career is so boring though
Yay, glad you like them. :)

Hmm, I gotta say that you're a bit right about Knopfler's solo career though... I prefer Dire Straits.
But in example, Mark's "What it is" is really cool, to me, and I think it's one of his best song... you can hear a different performance on that song right to the sound of his other guitar, the Gibson... I liked it, even though at times I can't think of Knopfler without being kinda sure that he gave us his best with his old Fender Stratocaster.

Oops, I talked too much... somebody kill meeeee!!!! Sorry guys, I'll shut up a bit, now. :p