Guitar Player's Thread

Any tips for those theoretically challenged, Mitch? :lol:

Well you've really gotta be like Marty Friedman (JACKSON FTW!) when it comes to progressions like this since you can't just solo in a minor pentatonic box and make it sound good.

Take the chord progression, C,G,Amin, F, and then write down all the notes.

C = C-E-G
G = G-B-D
Am = A-C-E
F = F-A-C

And just play one of those 3 notes over the chord that's playing at that time and aim for one in the next chord. So doing it this way, you kinda do need to take the time to learn the chords, where all the notes are and throw it all together in a way that doesn't just sound like you're going through one giant scale, meaning play around with rhythm and not just doing everything with 8th notes or something.

Here's a quickly done GP4 file of a way you could use arpeggios and join them up with passing notes so you're always landing on a "right" note but not always using the root.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ru86u7

The first 3 bars all start on the root note but the 4th one starts on a C, which is the 5th of F Major. I chose C because the note played before was a B and it's only a half step away so it makes sense to instead of rushing to the root note every time.

Same type of deal in bar 7. C note over Amin because it's the min3rd or the arpeggio and has a B note before it again.

As you can see, I used different rhythms too while arpeggiating the chords and moving around the neck so you can develop some more ideas with different arpeggio and scale shapes.

I hope I didn't just write this all for nothing and that at least one person can get some use out of it but that's pretty much how I'm going to be doing it.

Uah o.o

Fuck :lol: I just play on feeling :erk: now i feel stupid :lol:

If you like how your solo turns out, then it doesn't matter how you get it. I was just trying to go through what goes through my mind when I try and solo over stuff like this to help out Nazgul.

Uah o.o

Fuck :lol: I just play on feeling :erk: now i feel stupid :lol:

If i have some licks that'll sounds cool i'll use them because i've practiced them before, but when i join the licks together i just "search for notes" until i find the ones i'm looking for.

ok listen: my solo's done now...it's simple but i guess it does what it's supposed to be so...enjoy...
EDIT: Here ya go folks! enjoy!
http://www.sendspace.com/file/xv8ly0

Where the fuck is the 4 count at the beginning? :zombie:

Damn it people, I wrote the rules for a reason, not just to waste my own time. Thanks.

oh fuck! sry man! but i left 5 seconds at the beginning...:(

So? I still don't KNOW when you want your solo to start.

Example:

Player 1: Starts their solo with a C note on the first beat of the BT.
Player 2: Starts their solo with a C note on the upbeat of the first beat.

If there's no backing track, how am I supposed to know without a 4 click?