Guitar Player's Thread

No-one does, she just seems to assume that if someone disagrees with her then they "hate" her. Well at least thats the impression I get.

so basically every woman in existence :lol:

About gauges,now I'm playing in D tuning with 009-046 because it was the gauge my RR24 came with.I've tried in other guitars the 010-052 gauge for D,and it's been great,but now in the new one,playing with thicker picks it gets ok,so,my question is:does the string gauge affect sound-wise?Because if it doesn't it's not gonna be worth start all the process of intonating and retuning when I change it and I'll stay in 009-046.

most definitely will need to re-intonate. all the strings too, because when you change the tension of one string, you change the balance of the whole bridge, which means you'll have to adjust one of the base plate screws etc...

just take it to a tech, it shouldnt take the guy more than 30 min.

I have to ask you guys. Is the Boss NS(Noise supressor) a good pedal? Is the Boss Super Overdrive good? I was thinking of getting both. http://www.thomann.de/fi/boss_sd1_super_overdrive.htm

they suck! :p

course I'm biased. nothing beats a good tube tone, straight up from the amp.

as for the noise suppressor, I don't like the standard "gate" technology. if you're not familiar... your notes will have unnatural sustain (they'll be cut off immediately after the signal goes below the "gate" parameters, which means the note will be unnaturally cut short). I forget and am too lazy to look it up, but whatever Alexi uses is some new technology which simply "floors" all the hiss and hum signals, and supposedly doesn't affect the guitar sound. *shrug* i dno, check it out.

Awesome. How do you find it? There's so many mixed opinions on Line 6.

i hate the fuckers. although, if you like EMG pickups, you'll like the Line 6's. However, both sound way too hyped and grating for my tastes.

do you guys know if the PODXT will work for a bass too?

edit: I don't mean if it comes for bass, cuz i know there is a Bass POD, but i'm asking if the guitar POD can work for a bass, cuz I know you can use some processors for both guit. and bass.

I'm pretty sure Mitch or someone posted something (acutally i think it was when Inhe was looking for his) about some pod that has bass and guitar recording capabilities. or was that the Korg? :erk: sorry :(

they suck! :p

course I'm biased. nothing beats a good tube tone, straight up from the amp.

as for the noise suppressor, I don't like the standard "gate" technology. if you're not familiar... your notes will have unnatural sustain (they'll be cut off immediately after the signal goes below the "gate" parameters, which means the note will be unnaturally cut short). I forget and am too lazy to look it up, but whatever Alexi uses is some new technology which simply "floors" all the hiss and hum signals, and supposedly doesn't affect the guitar sound. *shrug* i dno, check it out.(

Alexi Uses ISP decimator but they are over 160€ and that goes over my budget furthermore...he uses the rack version(Roope uses a rack version of the Rocktron Hush). I need a OD and that does NOT for fucks sake eliminate tube tone :lol: Well my pal told about the NS and he said if you adjust it right it kicks ass.

EDIT: I also hate spiders/MGs They all suck in my opinion. They sound horrible. My opinion and all but they have terrible tone.

Alexi Uses ISP decimator but they are over 160€ and that goes over my budget furthermore...he uses the rack version(Roope uses a rack version of the Rocktron Hush). I need a OD and that does NOT for fucks sake eliminate tube tone :lol: Well my pal told about the NS and he said if you adjust it right it kicks ass.

EDIT: I also hate spiders/MGs They all suck in my opinion. They sound horrible. My opinion and all but they have terrible tone.

Okay i decided im getting the boss SD-1 (should be great) Then i will get a noisegate but i have no clue of what one! It should be approximately 80-85 euros! My dad will help me with the noisegate...he will pay half as a christmas present to me!

Try putting a hair tie past the nut and when playing, slide it over the nut. It's a hell of alot cheaper, just try it first. If you're not satisfied then, go buy a pedal. I also heard yngwie uses a ciggarette in a similar way but I couldn't elaborate on that.

@ The Phenom
Try putting a hair tie past the nut and when playing, slide it over the nut. It's a hell of alot cheaper, just try it first. If you're not satisfied then, go buy a pedal. I also heard yngwie uses a ciggarette in a similar way but I couldn't elaborate on that.
here it is in use

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay i decided im getting the boss SD-1 (should be great) Then i will get a noisegate but i have no clue of what one! It should be approximately 80-85 euros! My dad will help me with the noisegate...he will pay half as a christmas present to me!

don't you play a randall stack? :lol:

why the fuck

would you buy an expensive amp

to ruin it with that piece of shit overdrive :p

oh and on the noisegate, yeah I think I was looking at the rocktron hush. That thing sounds, in theory, really kickass. My opinion: don't buy complete shit. Your money is better spent saving up for the rack mount, than spending it on that shitass noise gate. You know the difference between "spending," and "investing?" Buying the noise gate is "spending;" purely self indulgence. Buying the rack mount is "investing;" you'll definitely get your money's worth back. Either you'll use it and be really happy with it, or sell it, and get most of what you paid for back. either way, you got your money back in one way or the other.

don't you play a randall stack? :lol:

why the fuck

would you buy an expensive amp

to ruin it with that piece of shit overdrive :p

oh and on the noisegate, yeah I think I was looking at the rocktron hush. That thing sounds, in theory, really kickass. My opinion: don't buy complete shit. Your money is better spent saving up for the rack mount, than spending it on that shitass noise gate. You know the difference between "spending," and "investing?" Buying the noise gate is "spending;" purely self indulgence. Buying the rack mount is "investing;" you'll definitely get your money's worth back. Either you'll use it and be really happy with it, or sell it, and get most of what you paid for back. either way, you got your money back in one way or the other.

You do know the most of metal guitarists that run through let's say a marshall stack uses Overdrive for more crunch? OD is alot different than distortion stompbox and Distortion stompboxes ARE truly SHITE. I want just more crunch out of my amp and therefore buying a OD. I have tested it because i have a TS9 borrowed. Randall aint that expensive :lol: The head is 500€ which about as cheap as a head gets. A OD to an amp aint bad you know :lol:

EDIT: Ain't even alexi using a Boss SD-1 nowadays? Instead of gainboost i mean when he got active pups.

dude when it comes to noise supressors i would say ISP Decimator, the pedal version is well worth the price. but i think the rack version is ridiculously expensive

Yeah but as i said the ISP is 80 euros out of my reach :lol: Well ive heard that if you have the right settings(it has 3 knobs hooorayyy) on the boss for your buzzing elimination it works great.

well you know in the meantime you can take your old pedals and turn down everything and use them as a noise gate so you could just switch to them when you need to take a break or something, but you would have to run them in the effects loop. or maybe if you dont use your clean channel you can turn everything down on that to

well you know in the meantime you can take your old pedals and turn down everything and use them as a noise gate so you could just switch to them when you need to take a break or something, but you would have to run them in the effects loop. or maybe if you dont use your clean channel you can turn everything down on that to

Man i have 1 pedal and thats boss metalzone! You sure know the result of that aye?:lol::erk:

He's asking for a noise suppressor not a signal killer/ muting device.

You do know the most of metal guitarists that run through let's say a marshall stack uses Overdrive for more crunch? OD is alot different than distortion stompbox and Distortion stompboxes ARE truly SHITE. I want just more crunch out of my amp and therefore buying a OD. I have tested it because i have a TS9 borrowed. Randall aint that expensive :lol: The head is 500€ which about as cheap as a head gets. A OD to an amp aint bad you know :lol:

EDIT: Ain't even alexi using a Boss SD-1 nowadays? Instead of gainboost i mean when he got active pups.

*facepalm*

*facepalm*

Its not why i want one. I need more Crunch to the sound and Boss is a fairly Cheap pedal to get. From What i know they aren't utter fail at making ODs. The NS i dont know anything about. Yeah i heard a rumor alexi had started using those and then i checked it out and it was pretty cheap. I cant afford a Maxon OD-808(Which i maybe could have got) either so i better look somewhere else aye? Most amps don't have enough crunch still so i don't see your point in being Biased against OD pedals :)

Its not why i want one. I need more Crunch to the sound and Boss is a fairly Cheap pedal to get. From What i know they aren't utter fail at making ODs. The NS i dont know anything about. Yeah i heard a rumor alexi had started using those and then i checked it out and it was pretty cheap. I cant afford a Maxon OD-808(Which i maybe could have got) either so i better look somewhere else aye? Most amps don't have enough crunch still so i don't see your point in being Biased against OD pedals :)

you just don't get it, that's the point :p

if you need more "crunch," you're equalizing wrong, and/or you should get new pickups, and/or etc. why the fuck would you want to "drive" your rhythm playing :lol:. if anything, i'd use it for more character on my solos, but seeing as that particular pedal sucks many balls... there's a shitload of extraneous noise, which defeats the purpose of the NS ffs. also, if you hated the metalzone, you'll hate the SD-1 :lol:. the fucker whines.

most definitely will need to re-intonate. all the strings too, because when you change the tension of one string, you change the balance of the whole bridge, which means you'll have to adjust one of the base plate screws etc...

just take it to a tech, it shouldnt take the guy more than 30 min.

:lol::lol::lol:

at my local store they are so retarded that you have to handle the guitar and have it there for a week for that purpose.that's why I do everything myself.

Its not why i want one. I need more Crunch to the sound and Boss is a fairly Cheap pedal to get. From What i know they aren't utter fail at making ODs. The NS i dont know anything about. Yeah i heard a rumor alexi had started using those and then i checked it out and it was pretty cheap. I cant afford a Maxon OD-808(Which i maybe could have got) either so i better look somewhere else aye? Most amps don't have enough crunch still so i don't see your point in being Biased against OD pedals:)

If my G3 Randall has an ok tone, your's (all tube,isn't it?) should have a better one. If I were you I'd save for a good noise supressor, spend some time looking for a cool tone and,if you're not satisfied with it, sell the head and go for a new one, because a tube head used just as a place where plug pedals is :erk:. I'm saving up for a decimator and if there's any kind of booster for active p-ups (a distortion/OD pedal could do,but it would be very noisy) I'd like to get one too.