Guitar Player's Thread

N00b questoin but when putting the EQ in the FX Loop should the SEND go to INPUT and RETURN to OUTPUT? Or vice versa? I got it today. I jsut tried out the OD pedal. DAMN IT SOUNDED SWEET! Really gave a bit softer and richer tone...really nice. Low noise too. Didn't add much. Boss SD-1 is alot less noisier than the vintage Tubescreamer i had borrowed. It does suck a bit tone because its not true bypass WHEN ITS NOT ON but since i hardly play clean and it sounded decent on clean even with the not true bypass its not a problem.

EDIT: GOT IT NOW!

Haha, Jason Becker wrote this in one of his blogs:

There once was a boy named Mike
It was girls that he used to like
Till one day he tried
A penis inside
his anus now that's what he likes.

The EQ is great. Love that thing. It can do almost anything! The Boss is really good too. It adds a bit mid and punch. Also tightens low end. So you don't get lost in the mix! I used both at same time and there was only low noise...really pleased. The "MUDDY" bass and shit ive been complaining went bye bye when i pushed the OD. The settings i had on it was LEVEL:FULL GAIN: about a bit under 1/4 and TONE: A bit under 12:00. So typical gain boost. Worked really nice. Feels like a brick as boss pedals usually do. So does the MXR. So in short: I got rid of the muddy shitty low end and got some compression(all i needed in fact...pretty sick how much you can compress the tone if you combine the OD and EQ) The tone just got huge. I love how the LOW END boost on the Equalizer works. It can really add that cruel "umph" into your palm mutes.

I am pleased. No need to whine about my amp anymore :lol: The OD itself did actually fix the problem. It sounds alot like a tubescreamer(ive heard they have same chip too) but it has lower noise and maybe a bit wider range of controls and more gain. The Equalizer is fuckin versatile and i was at first like "hmm...this is gonna take a while so i stood there fiddling with it and found some really nice powerful tones!

The OD is worth a: 8/10. 8 Because its not true bypass...it does not bother me but might be a nice add. It was cheap so i wont complain. Otherwise 9...i think its perfect for me but 9 because NOTHING is perfect. Really quiet pedal too.

MXR 10 band Equalizer is worth a: CLEAR 9½/10. Its high quality. Really good response and pretty fuckin quiet! The abilities to create tones with this seems endless and i will spend a good 2 months before i FULLY learn and understand this thing. I like how it can do almost anything(Compress,loosen,thicken,lighten up, make darker and bass boost too. The additional gain and volumes are cool too so its really a 12 band). I liked it so yeah.

Theres your review:lol:

DID IT SOLVE MY PROBLEM?

Yes it did. It also gave me a much better tone.

Glad it worked out, now you don't have to write about the same thing for 20+ pages!

^I can do that when i get back my digital camera from my brother :lol: Then maybe. I'll try getting it back this weekend. It's no use dragging my stack into the computer room and recording here with webcam:lol: That will make you all just pissed and ear bleeding(It makes sharp noises when the volume is too much for it :S)

TO FLYINGVGUY OR ANYONE ELSE LOOKING FOR METAL AMPS:

ok lets just make a run down of heads first

Engl:
thunder- it's pretty awesome. gives good tone. it really is "less is more" not a lot of options but awesome tone. IMO a little expensive. and you can get a lot better for the price

fireball: obviously a lot of good talk about this thing. awesome tone, cleans are great. unfortunately its only a single eq for each channel. idk if that matters to you. its hard to get for me at least. but im in the u.s.

Peavey:

valveking: like you said its alright but not the greatest. it defiently wasnt made for extreme metal, and you would need a dist. pedal to get good "brootal" tones. (PLAYED)

6505+: fucking awesome amp. it really blows away a lot of amps. a shit load of distortion. you will never need that much :lol: fucking great amp, the bass response is fucking amazing. no qualms about this baby. (PLAYED)

Line 6:

spidervalve head: wow. this thing IMO is fucking amazing for all types of music. it has so many fucking features its insane its only 800 bucks. i can get the most amazing cleans and then switch and start playing cannibal corpse. all around great amp (PLAYED)

hd147: i think this amp is pretty good. but it reminds me of the "digital/fake" sound that line6 is usually associated with. especially with its spider series. its certainly a step up but not worth the money. it is a nice amp though (PLAYED)

carvin:

v3: this thing is fuckin awesome. it has some really great bluesy cleans and has tons of gain. a lot of headroom to. really nice price, tons of features as well. (PLAYED)

legacy: this baby is really fucking nice for soloing definetly. some of the best tones for solo's. but it really doesnt have tons of gain. its a really nice amp for soloing. but for metal, it seems like a 70/80's hard rock amp (PLAYED)

Bugera:

they havn't come out yet in america at least. but maybe you can grab one wherever you are

6202: obviously this company is pretty much a "rip-off" of peavey. but i've heard clips and it emulates the classic 5150 tone but adds its own flavor. and the price is fucking awesome

333xl: WOAH. lots of options with this thing. 3 channel, sep. eq for all of them. you can go from blues crunch to blistering metal

Genz Genz:

El Diablo 100: well it gave really nice rhythm but it was hard to get a nice lead sound. it sounded very...idk how to explain it. it was a good amp, but i just didnt have time to dial in a right tone. (PLAYED)

Randall:

randall v2: fucking amazing amp. i love the 6 band eq. you can really dial in a lot of different tones. i could defiently tell why michael ammott uses it. (PLAYED)

honorable head mentions:

peavey jsx, xxl, xxx: all good amps. i like the xxx the best. i really didnt like the jsx at all. i've heard you can get really nice metal tones out of it, but from what i was doing with it, it really didn't give me much of anything. and week after week my other guitarist in my band brings his and i always hate it.

randall v2: fucking amazing amp. i love the 6 band eq. you can really dial in a lot of different tones. i could defiently tell why michael ammott uses it.

the heads that i havnt played, i know people that i trust that have given me reviews on them

Cabinets:

obviously all the stock cabs that go with the head will suit it pretty good, but here are some afterthoughts. i dont feel like giving reviews. sorry

genz benz g-flex 2 x 12
vader 2 x 12 (or 4 x 12)
marshall 1960a cab

hope that helps anyone

:oops: so much work (mainly) for me; thx!
i'll try them all out as soon as i get into a guitar shop :D randall ones sounds pretty good from what i've heard from buddys etc..

This is a bit dead lately and also there's long time since last news about it, so even though mastermind Mitch is absent, Forum Jam:

To all players taking part: how are you doing? Have you all finished your solos and all this stuff or what? I think it'd be great if you finish your solos and record them now even though Mitch is not there. Because in all this time he'll sure have composed a solo for it (if he has invested all the time he'd usually spend in the board, seeing how many days he's been off it's a great amount of time, so he sure will have something), and if you record now, then when he returns the only thing left will be put it all together and deliver it, so we he fans can get to hear it, :lol::lol::lol:
I must say that I'm pissed because I can't record by any mean. I anyway jam over the bt, and I've got some ideas, but no means to record them so I can just play and play and wait for you to record, :lol:

For my english class we have to write about an event that changed the world.

I am doing

when Chris Broderick first picked up a guitar.

Expect a scan of the A+ essay

If you guys are so eager about the jam, then I'm sure there is someone here who has enough computer skills to put it together himself...I mean, you would basically loop the track on a program such as Cool Edit Pro or whatever program you use to record and then put everyone's solo sequentially on another track over the looped BT. It would just take careful editing of volume levels and the timing, but I'm sure one of you could do it :)