Guitar Player's Thread

I don't know how you define loose, but i use 9-42 for Eb tuning, works perfectly.

^Well...not tense...flapping. Well 9-42 are perfect for E tuning(or i think i would still use 0.10s for E and Eb) and you are playing one flat lower. It just worked overall better with new higher gauge strings for me. It just made playing more "controllable". Anyway...it made me just feel more motivated when getting something new :lol:

I don't know how you define loose, but i use 9-42 for Eb tuning, works perfectly.

Holy cow, I even think 10-46 are loose in Eb. But it's a matter of what you're used to. I can go with loose or untight strings as long as I don't play Iced Earth or that kind of rhythm guitar stuff.

I've recently developed a liking to playing 8's for standard tuning. I used to hate playing with thin strings but on the ibanez they feel fantastic.

Yeah...i playd 10-46 for a long time but just recently i just thought they start feeling too loose and untight. Then i went and bought some higher gauge ones. DRs sound better than the D'addarios i had(Or was it GHS...GHS kicks ass though)

EDIT: I miss my randall :( I want it back :lol:

Concerning bends, it also depends on if you play with your thumb behind or above the neck. I used to play it with above the neck, and it was a hell of a lot easier to bend because you used the strenght of you thumb in addition to your other fingers when you bended the string.

Anyway...it made me just feel more motivated when getting something new :lol:

That's true, it's just that i'm not in the mood for changing strings on a floating bridge atm :lol: So i've used the same strings for some months now.

Holy cow, I even think 10-46 are loose in Eb. But it's a matter of what you're used to. I can go with loose or untight strings as long as I don't play Iced Earth or that kind of rhythm guitar stuff.

I have no problem with thicker gauges when just playing rythm, but for overall playing i prefer the feel of lighter gauges.

Pђoenix;6938164 said:
I've recently developed a liking to playing 8's for standard tuning. I used to hate playing with thin strings but on the ibanez they feel fantastic.

Yngwie plays 8's in Eb, so there's nothing wrong really.

Yeah...i playd 10-46 for a long time but just recently i just thought they start feeling too loose and untight. Then i went and bought some higher gauge ones. DRs sound better than the D'addarios i had(Or was it GHS...GHS kicks ass though)

Strings pretty much sound the same, it's even been said by professionals and tone freaks. Although, different brands can have another feel to them, which ultimately makes the sound different, because you adjust your playing to them.

That's true, it's just that i'm not in the mood for changing strings on a floating bridge atm :lol: So i've used the same strings for some months now.

Strings pretty much sound the same, it's even been said by professionals and tone freaks. Although, different brands can have another feel to them, which ultimately makes the sound different, because you adjust your playing to them.

Yeah...it took me about an hour or so to do every procedure...maybe even 1 hour and half. I also cleaned fretboard with toothbrush and cleaned my Floyd rose.

Yeah could be:lol: Well it doesnt matter still because i feel different playing them and yeah it would make it sound different because for example i can have lower action with the higher gauge it feels like that atleast...without encountering too much fret buzz. So i can play by lighter touch and so on...its cool:cool: Motivation to play went up with about 5 times :lol:

EDIT: Its all preference though. Some might have overall more liking towards the more "flexible" 10s and 9s.

For me the best strings for standard tuning is those 9-46 hybrid sets. That way the string bends are easy and the lowest strings don't flop.

hm.

I use 9-42 in E on my tele, but only because its for strumming and clean only, i find that the strings ring sharper and better on thinner strings, as with fatter strings they become more round in the sound.

my LTD is 11-50 in D, cause i liek it dat way.

Jackson is light top heavy bottom .10-52, in Open C tuning, and the BC rich is 10-46 in E
cause i use that one for metulz sound, and 9-42 is way too thin for that.

HOORAY

^^I play with my Peavey Transistor amp while the Randall is in for warranty repair. Peavey Studiopro. Well when you get used to the tubey overdrive theres just a bothering feeling because you want the same sound but the Peavey can naturally not go even near that tone :lol:

My band is in D tuning so i aint ever assed to put it to E. Also the floyd rose adjusting would kill me. I can go to Drop C though because then i dont have to set up my floyd. It doesnt go "unlevel" for me then. Doesn't keep the tune quite as much as it would with Drop tuning string set though.

My band is in D tuning so i aint ever assed to put it to E. Also the floyd rose adjusting would kill me. I can go to Drop C though because then i dont have to set up my floyd. It doesnt go "unlevel" for me then. Doesn't keep the tune quite as much as it would with Drop tuning string set though.

Yeah, changing tunings all the time on the same guitar is a pain in the ass, especially if that guitar has a floyd :mad:

My Ibanez has 9-42 and stays in E because it's my "power metal" guitar (and I cant be fucked to fuck around with my trem)

And my Washburn uses light top heavy bottom .10-52 in D. Which suits it really considering it's a set-neck, string-thru, mahogany body guitar with EMG pickups. So that's basically my "beefy as fuck" guitar :lol:

The bigger gauge, the fuller the sound, and also more crunchy, and with lighter strings, it's more clean.