Guitar Player's Thread

Yes, especially the A minor shape, but they are all indeed possible (There's a kind of trick to it). I do them and I teach them to some students who want to do those particular ones.

What's hard about that one? :lol: More specifically I meant the last C# minor "warning" arpeggio and the "E" and "A" diminished arps. The rest are standard, although I might approach arpeggios differently, it depends.

A Minor (This one is ridiculous, what I do is that I barre my index across the e and B string and slide/roll/barre from the 12th fret to the 13th and back when I go back up. It's one of the hardest of the 6 string sweeps.)

-17-12----------------------------------12-
-------13----------------------------13----
----------14----------------------14-------
-------------14----------------14----------
----------------15----------15-------------
-------------------17-12-17----------------

No.. no.. no! :lol: I would play it like this (sorry for the periods in between)...

...P...I...M..R..I...M..P...I...P...M..I...R ..M..I

You could also play...
-17-12---------------------------------12-
-------13-------------------------- 13-----
----------14-9---------------9--14--------
---------------10---------10--------------
------------------12-7-12-----------------
-------------------------------------------

Tap
-17-12p8----------------------------8-12--
----------10---------------------10--------
--------------9---------------9------------
----------------10---------10--------------
-------------------12-7-12-----------------
--------------------------------------------

...or countless other ways.

I actually take a liking towards the sound of sliding in between notes and incorporating legato, much like MJR does.

...P...I...M..R..I...M..P...I...P...M..I...R ..M..I

That's way harder imo.

You could also play...
-17-12---------------------------------12-
-------13-------------------------- 13-----
----------14-9---------------9--14--------
---------------10---------10--------------
------------------12-7-12-----------------
-------------------------------------------
I don't like that one either. It kind of ruins the flow of the sweep imo.

Tap
-17-12p8----------------------------8-12--
----------10---------------------10--------
--------------9---------------9------------
----------------10---------10--------------
-------------------12-7-12-----------------
--------------------------------------------

That way is good, though it's an alternate position.

I actually take a liking towards the sound of sliding in between notes, much like MJR does.

Yeah I like the sliding/roll/barre technique. It makes the sweep a hell of a lot easier for me.

Wow, those shapes are silly.

1st Cmaj & Cmin, put the lowest G on the A string at the 10th fret. Instantly easier.

The Amin one, Altitudes is right. It's the way PG and BB do it and it's much easier once you get used to it than what you're suggesting.

Watch this at 06:40 and see what I mean:
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=U75ZSVugaEk[/ame]

Wow, those shapes are silly.

1st Cmaj & Cmin, put the lowest G on the A string at the 10th fret. Instantly easier.
I tried those ways, it's harder for me. My pinky is used to the barre roll anyways.

The Amin one, Altitudes is right. It's the way PG and BB do it and it's much easier once you get used to it than what you're suggesting.

Watch this at 06:40 and see what I mean:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=U75ZSVugaEk

Has anyone even tried getting used to what I suggested? it's not hard.

It is when you're used to something else.

When I said about the Cmaj shape, I can do it my way easily but not your way. I've never ever seen anyone play that shape your way because of this reason I presume.

The way you were describing them made it sound like they wre giving you hell, meaning you're making things harder than they need to be. Practise the other ways for a day or two and then give a non-biased opinion. I reckon you'll like a few of the variations.

It is when you're used to something else.

When I said about the Cmaj shape, I can do it my way easily but not your way. I've never ever seen anyone play that shape your way because of this reason I presume.

The way you were describing them made it sound like they wre giving you hell, meaning you're making things harder than they need to be. Practise the other ways for a day or two and then give a non-biased opinion. I reckon you'll like a few of the variations.

Well I do know those other variations but I liked the ones that I do more. It just took a while for the pinky to get used to the rolling.

ok.

For anyone that remembers me posting that song by the band, The Portico Quartet, I found the video that made me look them up. I saw it one morning before going to work on Spotlight/ MusFlashTV.

I love this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pђoenix;6945626 said:
That's awesome. What's the name of the dome shaped instrument? I love the sounds made from it, very relaxing.

It's called a hang drum.

hangdrum.jpg

hang.jpg

Cool.

But why in the Guitar Player's Thread? :lol:

Should I post it in the Own Pics thread instead? :lol:

There's nowhere else that it would really fit and I'm a guitarist and I still find this fascinating.

I think Mystique said she liked it too so I don't see why not. :mad:

No you shouldn't. IMO it's called GP thread, but it's a guitar/music/theory/etc thread, because we usually post this kind of things and if we were all day talking about sweep shapes (the first that came to my mind as Kaga was writting about it the previous page, :lol:) and new guitars it'd get really boring.

BTW it's a nive vid. I like the feeling they create and the way they play. Also, is it me or the drumer is not using sticks??:lol: