Guitar Player's Thread

Looks Fantastic inhe, congrats dude! I think it would sound better with the TS though :p the tone is a little weak for my liking. As long as your happy with it, enjoy! Hope to hear some mic recordings in the future. :kickass:

well how do you know John knows who COB/Alexi are? Did John say anything about the 'incident'?

Yeah.

From Alexi's wikipedia profile:

"In April of 2005 Alexi generated a considerable amount of unrest in the metal guitar community when, in an interview with Guitar World magazine, he referred to popular prog metal act Dream Theater as "super lame" going on to say "It's not even music; it's sports." The magazine also referred to Dream Theater as Laiho's "favorite whipping boys." In January 2006 issue of the same magazine, reader Brad Bailey asked "Why did you make those lame comments about Dream Theater in GW? You're a fine player, but comments like those just make people lose respect for you. Did you know it caused a big stir?" to which Laiho responded "Fuck. Well, apparently it did. First of all, I think it's really funny that people trash bands and musicians every day on the internet, and nobody gives a shit. But once you say something like that - which wasn't even too bad - in a magazine, all of a sudden you're the biggest dick on the earth. But truthfully, I don't know why I said that. I was having a bad day or something. Obviously, John Petrucci is a better player than I am and it isn't my place to talk shit about him." However, John Petrucci replied "I'm better than Alexi?! Of course not. If I am, that would mean that I'm the best guitarist in the world! That guy can play fast solos while he's drunk!"."

Yeah.

From Alexi's wikipedia profile:

"In April of 2005 Alexi generated a considerable amount of unrest in the metal guitar community when, in an interview with Guitar World magazine, he referred to popular prog metal act Dream Theater as "super lame" going on to say "It's not even music; it's sports." The magazine also referred to Dream Theater as Laiho's "favorite whipping boys." In January 2006 issue of the same magazine, reader Brad Bailey asked "Why did you make those lame comments about Dream Theater in GW? You're a fine player, but comments like those just make people lose respect for you. Did you know it caused a big stir?" to which Laiho responded "Fuck. Well, apparently it did. First of all, I think it's really funny that people trash bands and musicians every day on the internet, and nobody gives a shit. But once you say something like that - which wasn't even too bad - in a magazine, all of a sudden you're the biggest dick on the earth. But truthfully, I don't know why I said that. I was having a bad day or something. Obviously, John Petrucci is a better player than I am and it isn't my place to talk shit about him." However, John Petrucci replied "I'm better than Alexi?! Of course not. If I am, that would mean that I'm the best guitarist in the world! That guy can play fast solos while he's drunk!"."

Nice remark from JP. Gotta love that guy :p

Oh and favorite tones:

Mattias "IA" Eklundh's tone on Scratch N Sniff from the "Fate" days.

And from Freak Kitchen; Appetizer lead, Move lead+rythm, Organic lead+rythm

Alexis tone on Hatebreeder

the tone on Cacophony's Images

Eddie Van Halen's tone on early Van Halen

Steve Vai's lead tone

I guess that's my all time favorite tones

I want to record my some random lead parts over a rhythm track. i play the rhythm track as an mp3 from my computer. line in looks like this:
guitar>pedals>shitty combo preamp fx loop>random 5.1 soundcard input (set as mic in)
The guitar tone really is nice. but when I record me playing over the rhythmtrack audacity records the guitar and the rhythm track. I wanna have recordings without the rhythm tracks.
So how can I record the mic-in without the soundoutput?

I want to record my some random lead parts over a rhythm track. i play the rhythm track as an mp3 from my computer. line in looks like this:
guitar>pedals>shitty combo preamp fx loop>random 5.1 soundcard input (set as mic in)
The guitar tone really is nice. but when I record me playing over the rhythmtrack audacity records the guitar and the rhythm track. I wanna have recordings without the rhythm tracks.
So how can I record the mic-in without the soundoutput?

Control panel. Set the "record" options to record either "mic" or "line in".

My father said that he would give me whichever guitar i want (with a reasonable price of course) if i learn this song:

He was a little drunk when he said it..:lol:

so here i go...

Last edited by a moderator:
Alexi Laiho (2001) is the only tone in the world that I'd be prepared to copy. I can say other tones are cool too but nothing that would make me wanna have it.

Paul Gilbert on Intense Rock II and G3 when he got his Vintage Modern, Muhammed's lead tone and MAB's tone.