Guitar Player's Thread

that's really nice. sounds like one of the great classical composers themselves. have you thought of maybe expanding it and turning it into a real song?

I could do but I never thought of expanding it. I did try and do a metal version though but it doesn't sound that great.

Btw, nice to see you here, you haven't posted in aaaages. :kickass:

Ok, I think Epi's Version sounds a bit better than the one I did (plus I slowed it unintended down a little bit , sorry for that)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sdwcn0

I this version, I replaced the solo-instruments with full sections. It doesn't sound good except in this "chord-part". I just uploaded it because I realized, that the sound of the violin section (melody) may be pretty cool for a lead sound of a metal-keyboard.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1cd842

@epi: what plugin/soundfonts do you use? I use Edirol.

That was awesome too! I liked the 2nd one better, that string sound was really haunting. :heh:

The metal riff reminds me alot of necrophagists epitaph, especially the drums.

:D The original version was a complete Necrophagist rip-off, they were who I was thinking of when I wrote it.

I am pretty sure I got a problem with my right hand picking, it seems on 3 note per string runs, I am only using my thumb and first finger (the fingers holding the pick) to pick, when really I should be using my wrist to pick. Anything seem wrong??:confused:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkRpb9l-Bck
Matt Heafy's picking in that video is exactly how I pick for some strange coincidense.
ps. im sorry i couldn't find a better example :lol:
Don't mean to be a bitch, but, anyone?

Don't mean to be a bitch, but, anyone?

There's nothing WRONG with using your fingers to pick. Yngwie Malmsteen does it, Jason Becker did it, Michael Angelo does it and are they good? Fuck Yes.

But I would say at least be able to use your wrist because it's more diverse. It just seems limiting when your only using your fingers so if you don't use your wrist, learn and then you can use your fingers if you want.

There's nothing WRONG with using your fingers to pick. Yngwie Malmsteen does it, Jason Becker did it, Michael Angelo does it and are they good? Fuck Yes.

But I would say at least be able to use your wrist because it's more diverse. It just seems limiting when your only using your fingers so if you don't use your wrist, learn and then you can use your fingers if you want.

What alot of people do is change their picking style between different things, like they have one style for sweeping, one for tremolo, on for rythm and one for alternate picking. I try to keep the same picking style for everything, but i don't know what works best for people.

I had my picking hand revisted and changed recently. On my jackson dinky, the actual fretboard was alot higher than on my new Jem, and the fact that the Jem has a pick guard made my old picking technique feel really awkard on the Jem, so now i hold my hand almost on the tremolo bar and pick somewhere over the middle pickup and use my wrist for all the picking, where as i used to pick over the neck pickup and use more of my fingers before.

I know what you mean. I've also reset my picking to just one thing. I tried playing THE NAIL sweeps today and only resting my palm on the bridge and pulling my fingers in (i.e Paul Gilbert/Buckethead) and I found it harder because I'm not used to it but I have noticed most people anchor when sweeping and tremelo picking.

I could do but I never thought of expanding it. I did try and do a metal version though but it doesn't sound that great.

Btw, nice to see you here, you haven't posted in aaaages. :kickass:

yeah, i was busy because of reasons i've already told you about. but it feels good to be back, i noticed that when i stopped posting here, i practiced less. so this place is almost some kind of motivation for me to keep practicing. hah, its kinda weird. but hey, whatever works :headbang:

I know what you mean. I've also reset my picking to just one thing. I tried playing THE NAIL sweeps today and only resting my palm on the bridge and pulling my fingers in (i.e Paul Gilbert/Buckethead) and I found it harder because I'm not used to it but I have noticed most people anchor when sweeping and tremelo picking.

I understand the difference when ur fingers are not on the body, but why pull them in?

Why not?

It's more comfortable to hold them almost like a fist that to just have them flopping around all over the place imo.

Here's something I did earlier. I played along to the keyboard solo in Warmen's cover of "Somebody's Watching Me".

I played over song in the background but you can still hear my guitar. I double tracked it too.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ydy3y3

It sounds alot cleaner and less frantic when you palm mute the strings. If you try sweeping without palm muting, then it just sounds like a big mess, especially if you can't sweep (good) in the first place.

When you've practiced sweep picking enough, the muting is done with the fretting hand rather than the picking.

Depends on how much distortion you use aswell, some people use too much distortion for my taste, and then you would need to palmute to make it sound decent.

Why not?

It's more comfortable to hold them almost like a fist that to just have them flopping around all over the place imo.

Here's something I did earlier. I played along to the keyboard solo in Warmen's cover of "Somebody's Watching Me".

I played over song in the background but you can still hear my guitar. I double tracked it too.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ydy3y3

holy shit, nice dude!

^I like your bendings, they show that you know what you do. I hope you upload some "real" recordings soon (get an amp! :lol:)

Thanks. :lol: I'll definitely do some if/when I get one. Maybe I'll actually get a job soon and then I'll be able to afford one. :p

(Btw, I do have some good sounding recordings from when I was borrowing my friends Line 6 Spider II thing, I dno if you've heard them or not)

It sounds alot cleaner and less frantic when you palm mute the strings. If you try sweeping without palm muting, then it just sounds like a big mess, especially if you can't sweep (good) in the first place.

Yeah but that's why you practise. I do agree though that it sounds better with muting but I still am resting my palm on the bridge/strings even now that I've changed, I'm just not resting my other fingers on the guitar.

holy shit, nice dude!

Thanks. :)

Btw, if anyone has a good soundfont for a Janne sawtooth keyboard type sound, I'll record it with out the song in the background.

Anybody ever tried writing a song or lyrics whilst under the influence of alcohol/drugs?

No because

drugsrbad.jpg

Anybody ever tried writing a song or lyrics whilst under the influence of alcohol/drugs?
Yes I tried. It was absolutely shitty. And now, I'm the only person in my band who doesn't drink before gigs (max. 1 beer)

Thanks. :lol: I'll definitely do some if/when I get one. Maybe I'll actually get a job soon and then I'll be able to afford one. :p

(Btw, I do have some good sounding recordings from when I was borrowing my friends Line 6 Spider II thing, I dno if you've heard them or not)

I heard them. Your tone in this The Darkness Song kills. It's so sweet.

EDIT: I just heard your NEW stuff. WOW!!!! I' stunned. That's amazing. The Paul Gilbert-Styled Solo, the Paul Gilbert Cover and Written in Stone Solo blew me away.

Thanks guys (well technically, thanks guy and gal. ;))

Oh no, Warheart is at it again. What? Oh right, recording more incomplete clips of songs? Yup. :p

Well I did a few but here's 2 that I've uploaded to my soundclick fing.

Mount Fuji Christmas by Paul Gilbert
"The New Song" by Metallica.

The PG one might sound a bit weird. I originally planned on just doing one track in the centre but I ended up recording 2 of the same thing so I just used both so they might not fit together 100% and they're probably not perfect, I haven't slept in quite a while so I'm all like, weeeee. o_O

EDIT: I recorded a tapping version of Paul Gilbert's Get Out Of My Yard too.

It's on my soundclick if anyone's interested.