Guitar Player's Thread

damn I was like re-recording the song and my mom came downstairs and I would stop cause thats kind of wierd growling in front of my mom and she got really pissed that like I turned down my music or whatever when she came down stairs and now she is threatening to turn the internet off,lol

I worked abit trying to get a good tone, and i tried some different settings and i finally tried it with a little distortion on my amp and distortion on my pedal, and i think i got a pretty nice tone.

Here's a riff i came up with, just to try the tone.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B932FF1022D7AD2C

I'm not a fan of this sound, but this riff is kickass. I can imagine to play it 2 or 4 times with Drums just hitting on each count-times 1 and 3. The next 2 or 4 times, the drums could play a wintersun-styled-doublebass.

..hum..sorry, I'm talking weird stuff, I know :p

um...and where are the drums Ruins is talking of? :confused:

I am just having second thoughts about the paul gilbert picking. Will it truely be more accurate?

Well it's been helpful to me. The only way you can decide whether it's going to benifit you is it try it. And again, it was uncomfortable for me at first aswell but if you really want to do something about it, juut keep at it.

I realised yesterday while I was recording some Necrophagist that I was actually keeping my fingers away from the guitar body which suprised me because I was actually struggling with it but it was nice to see that I was finally getting the hang of the new technique.

damn I was like re-recording the song and my mom came downstairs and I would stop cause thats kind of wierd growling in front of my mom and she got really pissed that like I turned down my music or whatever when she came down stairs and now she is threatening to turn the internet off,lol

lol oh shit, I've had that before. Not because of growing though, just because I don't have a job. :err:

now when you say 100% of the time, does that mean even when I am not alternate picking? Because I find it more comfortable if I lift my pinky when I am sweeping or chording.

Well I put my fingers down on the guitar when I sweep and it doesn't affect that because it's not really one of those things where you can play faster if you tense up so if I did, it'd just turn to shite instead of sounding faster.

But again, whatever feels good is good, just don't push it to the point where it doesn't feel godo anymore.

I'm not a fan of this sound, but this riff is kickass. I can imagine to play it 2 or 4 times with Drums just hitting on each count-times 1 and 3. The next 2 or 4 times, the drums could play a wintersun-styled-doublebass.

..hum..sorry, I'm talking weird stuff, I know :p

um...and where are the drums Ruins is talking of? :confused:
god fucking damn it i, i quoted the wrong link,I was referring it to Warheart's http://www.sendspace.com/file/jg4nhi heavy rifff that he came up with trying sound settings

I hold my pick with three fingers, much like a pencil, in fact. it suit me well. I think it's a matter of choice and there is no "best way" to hold a pick. Just look at how Marty Friedman hold his pick!

I usually hold my pick and extend all my fingers out.
Something like this:
4520,1158588571,31.jpg

When I relax my fingers, my pinky usually tends to hit the e string.

I went to the IA Eklundh clinic in Stockholm today, it was pretty awesome, he's a really funny guy :lol: I was amazed at his picking technique, it was pretty weird, but for the guys who've heard his work knows that he's good.
All and all, there was beer, jokes and shredding, i'll post some pics when i get them!

I hold my pick between my thumb and the pad of my first finger, while all the great guitarists put it between thumb and the side of the first finger. Also, to do this, they bend their thumb out and my thumb is either straight or even bent the other way. Those guitarists also angle their picks down, while my pick is angled up.

I tried playing like others do, but the pick slides aways or turns and my coordination is totally off when I hold the pick like that.