Guitar Player's Thread

Not sure if anyone here is concerned with issues like this, but I myself like to keep my guitars in pretty nice condition, and get a little wear and tear as possible, but I'm not the guy either who freaks out over some smalls scrapes here and there.

My issue I have is, I usually tend to wear bullet belts a lot, and I was wondering if anyone here uses anything or has heard anything of people who like to protect the back of their guitars but still where crazy belts like that and what not. I do have some of those scratch pads for some of my guitars which do work pretty well, but its hard to fit one (I even cut one up to fit) on my Rhoads. I know back in the 80's people use to wear like 5 different belts at once all exposed to their guitars and stuff, but I never noticed the back of their guitars being scratched too badly? Does anyone here do the same thing, but do anything to prevent such issues? Like maybe put a lot of electrical tape on the back? That's one idea I've thought of maybe doing? Bullets belts definitely scratch your guitars to hell so fast and it looks real awful, but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations (besides, DON'T WEAR BELTS!!!) as to what to do to help prevent some major scratches to the back of my guitars?

Thanks.

I have no problems with any scratches or dings or anything on the guitar as long as they're not intentional. Just shows that guitar was used a lot! :headbang:

Lots of 80s rockstars had totally scratched guitars...doesn't change the tone or anything really. For example, Alexi's Jacksons were are beat up aswell and that's what made them even more special IMO.

Who needs maple fretboard when you can get that fucking beauty?? If the headstock is not ubber shit then this guitar fucking rocks!

The headstock is win

interceptorpro25blackflame4.jpg

^Then we can say that guitar is fucking epic win :kickass: Well, beaten by Jeff Loomis' one but still :kickass:

Not sure if anyone here is concerned with issues like this, but I myself like to keep my guitars in pretty nice condition, and get a little wear and tear as possible, but I'm not the guy either who freaks out over some smalls scrapes here and there.

My issue I have is, I usually tend to wear bullet belts a lot, and I was wondering if anyone here uses anything or has heard anything of people who like to protect the back of their guitars but still where crazy belts like that and what not. I do have some of those scratch pads for some of my guitars which do work pretty well, but its hard to fit one (I even cut one up to fit) on my Rhoads. I know back in the 80's people use to wear like 5 different belts at once all exposed to their guitars and stuff, but I never noticed the back of their guitars being scratched too badly? Does anyone here do the same thing, but do anything to prevent such issues? Like maybe put a lot of electrical tape on the back? That's one idea I've thought of maybe doing? Bullets belts definitely scratch your guitars to hell so fast and it looks real awful, but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations (besides, DON'T WEAR BELTS!!!) as to what to do to help prevent some major scratches to the back of my guitars?

Thanks.

I supose electrical tape is an option. Because I supose that if you wear belts you won't like to hide them under your t-shirt, :lol:

I have no problems with any scratches or dings or anything on the guitar as long as they're not intentional. Just shows that guitar was used a lot! :headbang:

Lots of 80s rockstars had totally scratched guitars...doesn't change the tone or anything really. For example, Alexi's Jacksons were are beat up aswell and that's what made them even more special IMO.

I don't have problems with some small things, but I don't like my guitar to be beaten up. Alexi's Jacksons were not that bad in my book tho, about scratches and stuff.

Yes, I understand all that, and have been scratching many guitars for many years. I'm not worrying myself crazy over this issue, I'd just like to protect a few guitars a bit more.

Well, protect a guitar when you're wearing a bullet belt is a little bit difficult, :lol: I don't even wear normal belts because of that when I play. That or I put the lock on the side of my trousers instead of in the front.

While i agree, beat up guitars are cool
I still would intentionally try to avoid stuff like that on a brand new custom shop guitar

My soul(lol.) would shed a tear at the first ding
I would be annoyed at the second
at the third ding, i would be dejected

and then, i would stop caring, and just let it flow lol

Take out the stud and drop a few drops of water in the hole...the hole will expand and provide a better grip for the stud.

Thanks for the help! I'll try that next time i restring. If the hole expands wont that provide less grip, wouldn't i want the hole to shrink?. Anyway i will still try it.

On the topic of scratches. I don't mind at all as long as it is not visible from the front. that is my only worries. I have tiny dings on the top back end of the headstock and on the back end of the long horn, so you can't see them from the front which is all i am worried about.

Tips on Sweeping..

Does anyone (who is already fairly beyond good) at sweeping have some nice tips or know a good place that helps teach to keep Sweeps clean and smooth. I'm not a bad 'sweeper' per say, and I can do the normal sweep patterns, but I'd definitely like to improve my cleanness, and overall solid sound of sweeping. I'm not even sure if I'm doing everything as right as I should. I hold the pick very lightly and try to apply as little pressure as possible, while also trying to mute the strings with my left hand (fingering hand.) Anybody have any good tips or know of a good site or place of demonstrations?

If it's your cleanness that you're worried about, then isn't it just a matter of practicing slower? And maybe pronouncing the notes a little more, so it doesn't sound muddy.

Yes, that's what I meant. I didn't mean my left fretting hand, even though thats exactly what I typed. I wasn't thinking with out playing. I trying to mute each string with my thumb on my picking hand right after I play it. While playing everything so fast, zoom!

don't use your thumb, use the side of your hand, you will find it much easier to mute and you sweep will be cleaner

^ The best shit on that site is from Agile guitars. I've seen many many good reviews of their products on sites like sevenstring.org.

interceptorpro25blackflame5.jpg

Win.

They used to do one of those with a maple fretboard but they are out of stock atm.

That is very nice. I want!

Tips on Sweeping..

Does anyone (who is already fairly beyond good) at sweeping have some nice tips or know a good place that helps teach to keep Sweeps clean and smooth. I'm not a bad 'sweeper' per say, and I can do the normal sweep patterns, but I'd definitely like to improve my cleanness, and overall solid sound of sweeping. I'm not even sure if I'm doing everything as right as I should. I hold the pick very lightly and try to apply as little pressure as possible, while also trying to mute the strings with my left hand (fingering hand.) Anybody have any good tips or know of a good site or place of demonstrations?

well this is just a vid of me doin stupid 3 string sweeps, but you can clearly see my picking etc. i use my wrist for sweeping and you can see how i mute the strings, you can hear that i only mute the g string.