Guitar Player's Thread

I just got back from seeing Paul Gilbert & Joe Satriani. I'll do a review thing soon.

Mystique: Cool recording girl! Awesome song and band too!

Brad: I've seen that guy before and he's amazing!! His name is David Valdes.

Mr. Johnson: Beautiful work. Now, record the rest. :D

Pods plugs into the USB port (best best if you are unsure if you have a bad soundcard)

Mics, pedalboards, pandora, etc plug into computer's souncard.

Have you ever seen a guitar cord with a usb adapter on one end? :lol: As far as I know, you need an adapter (same size as a guitar cord adapter) on the end of the three prong microphone connection, and that goes into the soundcard.

My review for PG/JS:

Paul Gilbert:

Setlist:
Hurry Up
The Curse Of Castle Dragon
Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar
Eudaimonia Overture
Norweigen Cowbell
Scarified
I Cannot Tell A Lie
Bronx 1971
Suite Model
Down To Mexico
Daddy Brother Lover Little Boy

It was only a 50min set and as you can see, most of the songs from his new album were played.

The title track is my favourite and it sounds fucking amazing live, especially the intro. I tabbed the whole thing so I might as well learn it too.

I've never listened to more than 5 seconds of Suite Model but after hearing it all tonight, it's an awesome song (even though it's a classical piece) and it's very relaxing.

Down To Mexico was cool, much more shredding in between than ever before.

And one of the highlights was Daddy Brother Lover Little Boy, which RAWKED!!! Paul and Mike took it in turns to sing parts of the verse and man, did it sound goooood.

As for vids, I got the whole of Scarified, the solo to Curse Of Castle Dragon and my fave parts from the title track of the new album.

For the whole thing, he played his reverse Ibanez Iceman and then his new sunburst PGM for the last 3 songs.

Joe Satriani:

Setlist:
I actually have no idea about most of them except for:

Ice 9
Surfin' With The Alien
Cryin'
THE SUMMER SONG!!!!!! (Encore)
Always With Me, Always With You
I Just Wanna Rock
Ghost
Flyin' In A Blue Dream

The first song was I Just Wanna Rock and the last was The Summer Song. Everyone stood up before that and I went down to the front 'cuz no one really cared about their seats since it was the last song.

Very long setlist and I must admit, regardless of loving some of Joe's song, that it was kinda boring at times. I didn't know most of the songs so that didn't help but the basic structure for most of them was the same and his soloing ideas are kinda limited.

Stu Hamm's bass solo was really cool. Most of it was slap bass and he was playing something at the beginning that I recognised but I couldn't put a name to it and then it was that fast country thing that he always does which pleased the crowd.

And wow, the amount of Satch Screams that he did tonight must have been higher than the total amount of notes that Paul Gilbert played in a 50 min set!!! He was going crazy with them.

I tried taking some pics but 'cuz of the distance, it was hard to get anything decent so I deleted all of them except one, and even that's really shit.

Overall though, it was a awesome show from both guys and their bands and dispite being at the back, I had a good time. Paul is playing again in November at the London Astoria 2 (The Mean Fiddler) and it's the same place that he played at last time I saw him and I was so close to him that I could have polished his boots, unplugged his pedal board or even removed the cable from his guitar!!!! So I'll definitely see if I can bootleg the whole of that show from the front.

Here's some media:

PAUL GILBERT - SCARIFIED

28akoea.jpg
2yzegpd.jpg

2eauwcp.jpg
6ztzx4.jpg

i1k8pg.jpg

Have you ever seen a guitar cord with a usb adapter on one end? :lol: As far as I know, you need an adapter (same size as a guitar cord adapter) on the end of the three prong microphone connection, and that goes into the soundcard.

In all fairness I actually have seen this. It was some really crappy brand guitar. I'm pretty sure the guitar couldn't be unplugged from the cable aswell.

I also thought Gibson had some sort of USB guitar aswell.

Can anyone verify any of this? Cause I might be tripping balls.

I just got back from seeing Paul Gilbert & Joe Satriani. I'll do a review thing soon.

Mystique: Cool recording girl! Awesome song and band too!
Thank you :) But do you really/truthfully like it? (It would mean a lot coming from you, because I know you can be a tough critic at times.)

And I downloaded the Scarified footage, but there's no sound...did you maybe have it muted when you uploaded it online?

Mr. Johnson: Beautiful work. Now, record the rest. :D
yes, please do. I'm sure you can do it.

yeah mystique its sped up for me to.

stupid question but how do you record with the pandora or the pod etc etc?
I don't understand why it's doing that...I'll trying accessing it from my sister's computer and see if it does the same.

And yeah, the pod is with the usb. I've heard usb connections give better recordings rather than plugging straight into the sound card. But I can't really vouch for that.

well my friend has a mic that has a usb cord on it....so idk.

Yeah, singstar ftw but I wouldn't use it to record, :lol::lol::lol:

Now seriously, if you don't have a good mic and cable better plug directly into computer or get a Pod.

My review for PG/JS:

Me wants PG too!!!

When I saw in a UK page that PG was touring with Satch I got excited because Satch played in my town, but when I heard it was just UK and we'd get nothing, I dropped the whole idea. Besides, I myself had to play a gig that day and I would probably have been late. But it was mainly because PG was not playing, otherwise I'd cancelled the gig, :lol:

Nice to know you had a good time :kickass:

In all fairness I actually have seen this. It was some really crappy brand guitar. I'm pretty sure the guitar couldn't be unplugged from the cable aswell.

I also thought Gibson had some sort of USB guitar aswell.

Can anyone verify any of this? Cause I might be tripping balls.

Are you talking about the Behringer USB guitar?? Yeah it fucking sucks, :lol: Dunno about Gibson tho, I know they have the Robot guitar that tunes itself but dunno about a USB Gibson.

I don't understand why it's doing that...I'll trying accessing it from my sister's computer and see if it does the same.

Your recording works good for me, and as I told you I liked it, also the fact that the bass is played and not MIDI through FL makes it sound better. I'm doing that with Nailed To The Cross, I'll probably be ready tomorrow, and I might do it with Hate Me! and record it full, but I'm not still satisfied with my solos, :lol:

Anyone wants to record them?? :lol:

This thread is going slow, so here's some M-A-B !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Im finally getting around to fix my awesome red ibanez RG thats been laying gutted in my basement for quite some time, i just finished sanding and scraping all the rust off of the inside of the trem's saddles so now they function properly, finally finished a fine sanding of the scallop job i did a long time ago.

I have a Duncan JB, Jazz set layin around i probably will put in, but i need to figure out how to wire a 5 way switch like a normal 3 way switch

And the Shredocaster is finally being forged by a luthier.