Guitar Player's Thread

So I bought some Ernie Ball "Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms" today, 10-52 gauge.

They're really nice so far. Tuned it to Open C, and with my mahogany body + EMGs guitar it sounds brutally Death Metal :lol: But the string quality is also considerably higher than the D'Addario's I used to get... Hell D'Addarios are shit really. they always snapped on me. I think I'll be sticking with Ernie Ball from now on.

Good choice, I got myself some Ernie Ball "Not Even Slinky" Strings. 12-56. It's soo br00tal, I'm too afraid to tune them any higher than C Standard. That's on my ESP V.

I use Power Slinky Strings on my other ESP, I keep that one at D standard.
On my Washburn I use Regular Slinky strings and I keep that at E standard.

My other guitars, I don't remember what strings I use on them, probably somekind of slinky strings. :lol:

and btw, Dean Markley Strings suck too, I tried them once and never tried them again. :lol:

Just to see how it was I tuned up to E standard... I actually really like the string tension caused by that gauge with that higher tuning :lol:

So I bought some Ernie Ball "Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms" today, 10-52 gauge.

They're really nice so far. Tuned it to Open C, and with my mahogany body + EMGs guitar it sounds brutally Death Metal :lol: But the string quality is also considerably higher than the D'Addario's I used to get... Hell D'Addarios are shit really. they always snapped on me. I think I'll be sticking with Ernie Ball from now on.

QFT.

'bout time someone said the truth. D'addarios feel just so cheap to me! I prefer DR/Ernie ball or GHS. I hate D'addario for the same reasons as mentioned by swabs. They're just so shit...:erk:

just my 2 cents though.

Swabs, Can you tune those strings to E standard without being afraid of cutting your eyes out when they snap?:lol: Im going to get 11-52 for the schecter when i get it also. They sound so ballsy and nice.

Swabs, Can you tune those strings to E standard without being afraid of cutting your eyes out when they snap?:lol: Im going to get 11-52 for the schecter when i get it also. They sound so ballsy and nice.

Yeah I even had the bawls to try string bending :lol:

Nah seriously they work fine in E-standard actually, which is why I bought them, lighter gauge top strings + heavier gauge bottom strings = versatility.

Nah seriously they work fine in E-standard actually, which is why I bought them, lighter gauge top strings + heavier gauge bottom strings = versatility.

I can't stand lighter gauge top strings for alternate picking really fast, but for anything else then they are ":kickass:" imo

Cool! Thanks for the info. Im definetly getting those for the Schectaaaah now :lol:

you guys are weird :lol: I love the feel of D'Addarios. I've never snapped one. When do they usually snap on you guys? when you're tuning or during playing? If it's when you're tuning, then I suggest maybe to be more gentle when turning the peg...like do it really slow. Although, I have yet to try Ernie Balls and Elixers...I guess I'll buy them next.

Depends on what exactly I'm playing...when I'm just goofing around I hit the strings pretty hard, but not when I'm practicing. and you shouldn't play that hard as to break your strings anyway :lol:

Depends on what exactly I'm playing...when I'm just goofing around I hit the strings pretty hard, but not when I'm practicing. and you shouldn't play that hard as to break your strings anyway :lol:

well if I'm working on getting my alternate picking speed fast, I tend to end up hitting the strings pretty hard at times...

well for example, in some of those youtube videos, you see that the guy is hitting the string so hard, you can actually hear him hitting it over the recording itself.

Question about phrasing/rhythmic displacement: Are you supposed to accent the actual rhythmic notes (tempo-wise) or the phrased notes (pattern-wise)?

For example, when playing four-note phrases in a triplet rhythm, do you accent every four notes or three notes?

usually you accent the first beat of every measure. But in your example, from what I've played, you don't really put any accents when you're playing triplets in that situation...usually just the first note of the triplets get the accents. But if you insist, I would say you should accent every three notes.

well for example, in some of those youtube videos, you see that the guy is hitting the string so hard, you can actually hear him hitting it over the recording itself.
(If I'm understanding what you are saying correctly...)
Well I think the only time that'd be an issue is if it was from a recording like that (as a matter of fact, I don't see what's the big deal about it). I don't think it would be an issue at all in any other situation.

Question about phrasing/rhythmic displacement: Are you supposed to accent the actual rhythmic notes (tempo-wise) or the phrased notes (pattern-wise)?

For example, when playing four-note phrases in a triplet rhythm, do you accent every four notes or three notes?

Well there really isn't a rule for it; however, you can listen to Meshuggah if you want to hear good examples of rhythmic displacement in a standard four/four time signature. Accents really depend on the type of sound you'd want anyways...

you guys are weird :lol: I love the feel of D'Addarios. I've never snapped one. When do they usually snap on you guys? when you're tuning or during playing? If it's when you're tuning, then I suggest maybe to be more gentle when turning the peg...like do it really slow. Although, I have yet to try Ernie Balls and Elixers...I guess I'll buy them next.

What brands have you tried? I thought D'addarios were awesome at first but when i noticed they snap easily/get worn easily and have a much tinnier and less ballsy sound than other brands. That's when i made the switch. Now i use mainly 2 brands...GHS and DR Strings. Both magnificient. GHS are pretty flexible and easy stretching strings so they are pretty easy and fast to apply with the stretching process and shit. DR just sound ballsy and have a nice feel which is a bit "metallic". I like them. D'addarios are just suckz0r for me tho :lol:

On another note:
Last night i was involved in a moped crash. So far only minor scratches and bruises and no broken bones that im aware of(still hurts like shitting bitch but). I hit my elbow hard to the road and my ankle got a bit twisted so those 2 hurt still when i walk or move the elbow. I feel lucky i didnt break my arm since i wasn't exactly driving slowly when that all happened :erk: Bad driver is bad driver:lol: Well i hope this shit won't affect my guitarplaying because last time i crashed the same thing happened(hit my elbow to the road) and that launched a terrible fucking 2 years of cortison injections into the limb and lots of medication because i got reuma and when i hit my elbow to the road it apparently can get inflammed or wtf its called. Which makes movement restrictions and can incapitate limbs(in the long run if it doesnt get cured) and shit like that if youre really unlucky. So now i just need to hope for the best that my limb will stay clean :erk: ...in worst case they must operate it which has a pretty long recovering process that also infects fingers movements(MEGA ERK:erk:)