Guitar Player's Thread

I can say that I really love my PX4 but I can't comment on the Toneport because I've never played through one, which means that I can't compare the two either.

Nazgul has the PX4D, I remember saying that I liked the PX3 more because of the pitch shift function which makes downtuning SO FUCKING EASY!

I play through a PX4, Altitudes plays through a toneport so I'd say just listen to both tones and decide which one you like the sound of the most.

And btw, STEVE VAI recorded this song on a Korg PX4!

Steve Vai - Feathers

The tone is amazing.

Just ordered parts to turn my MM-04 into a pedal, suggestions on the paint job for the pedal?

I was thinking blood splatter but it sounds too generic for me,

Maybe Follow the Reaper themed paint job?:headbang:

This might be old to some of you, but Yngwie's tone on this one is amazing!

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=eAtavRRgytg[/ame]

"Look at me everybody, I put a cigarette in my strings DURING my instructional video, Im soo cool!"

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yngwie's tone is always awesome, those super old Marshall amps rule hard, sucks they are thousands of dollars

Easy, take the MM-04 out of my guitar, Buy a metal pedal casing, drill some holes in it, add an Input Jack to where the MM-04 would normally be attached to the pickup selector, Change the Gain boost toggleswitch to a footswitch button, add a second footswitch to bypass the whole unit (bypassing the midboost EQ). Maybe add some cool LED's

I can say that I really love my PX4 but I can't comment on the Toneport because I've never played through one, which means that I can't compare the two either.

Nazgul has the PX4D, I remember saying that I liked the PX3 more because of the pitch shift function which makes downtuning SO FUCKING EASY!

I play through a PX4, Altitudes plays through a toneport so I'd say just listen to both tones and decide which one you like the sound of the most.

Steve Vai - Feathers

The tone is amazing.

Thanks for the input on that. Yeah that tone is freakin' amazing. What im thinking is that ive heard lots of rumours that PX4D sucks compared to PX4. Well the PX4D is very handy because you can bring it anywhere and play through headphones. I have tried the tonpoert UX1. I had it borrowed for like 2 days but i did not do any experimenting and it seems a bit tricky at first to find good tone. I bet i had gain on like 8 anyway so it sounded like shit :lol: Yeah well i will need to wait for Altitudes and Nazgul's input on this one :)

Steve Vai - Feathers

The tone is amazing.

Sounds like typical recording devices. It sounds good for that particular song, but it's not a tone I think would fit anything that I play.
Try and play CoB with that tone. It would suck.

I prefer a Shure SM57 and a tube amp.

Its a USA Jackson soloist with a flamed maple top, My favorite guitar ATM lol

Forgot to comment! Great vid, I can see that you've been practising it 'cause most of it is quite tight. I love when you do that whammy thing followed by the "wtf" face. :lol:

Thanks for the input on that. Yeah that tone is freakin' amazing. What im thinking is that ive heard lots of rumours that PX4D sucks compared to PX4. Well the PX4D is very handy because you can bring it anywhere and play through headphones. I have tried the tonpoert UX1. I had it borrowed for like 2 days but i did not do any experimenting and it seems a bit tricky at first to find good tone. I bet i had gain on like 8 anyway so it sounded like shit :lol: Yeah well i will need to wait for Altitudes and Nazgul's input on this one :)

You can take the PX4 anywhere and play through headphones too. There's even an option to have a wireless setup where you send the signal through infra red.

Sounds like typical recording devices. It sounds good for that particular song, but it's not a tone I think would fit anything that I play.
Try and play CoB with that tone. It would suck.

I prefer a Shure SM57 and a tube amp.

Well there's a thing on there that turns it into a crunchy metal sound. I recorded these with the PX4.

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=V0zYEH6C1lA[/ame]
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=498189&songID=6584105
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=498189&songID=6349948
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=498189&songID=5967658
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=498189&songID=6349942

So it's definitely capable of doing metal tones but as you say, a tube amp and mic is obviously going to be the better option but when you're considering he's only looking for something small and cheap to practise with, then these are the kind of units that he'll want to be looking at.

^Sounds handy as hell! Oh and your recordings sound very good no doubt. I will take the PX4D into consideration absolutely.

So maybe i can buy the Line 6 Toneport and also try to mic my amp with the dynamic instrument Shure mic i have through the toneport? Because my soundcard truly is suckz0r and i doubt it would like the company of a mic into it.

Forgot to comment! Great vid, I can see that you've been practising it 'cause most of it is quite tight. I love when you do that whammy thing followed by the "wtf" face. :lol:

You can take the PX4 anywhere and play through headphones too. There's even an option to have a wireless setup where you send the signal through infra red.

Well there's a thing on there that turns it into a crunchy metal sound. I recorded these with the PX4.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V0zYEH6C1lA
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=498189&songID=6584105
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=498189&songID=6349948
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=498189&songID=5967658
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=498189&songID=6349942

So it's definitely capable of doing metal tones but as you say, a tube amp and mic is obviously going to be the better option but when you're considering he's only looking for something small and cheap to practise with, then these are the kind of units that he'll want to be looking at.

That is pretty nice for a recording like that.
I've never been able to get such a tone out of anything else than my amp.
Then again, I never had a PX4

Phenom; I think you need a nice mic-preamp for it.
What I do is I use a Fostex MR-8 harddiscrecorder (because Windows always fucks it up, so I'll only use the computer for editing i Cubase or whatever) then an Art Tube mic-preamp (these are fairly cheap and very good sounding) the the Shure (wich is a very rocking mic. And fairly cheap too. Freak Kitchen uses it) and then of course my amp.

I'm sorry I don't have recent recordings. The ones I did have from 2007 are deleted (thanks to windows).
And I'm not likely to record anytime soon.

edit; anywaiz. Feathers is a really awesome song. How come I've never heard of it?
Some special track?
I've got all of Vai's solo albums, + the ones with David Lee Roth and Whitesnake.

Phenom; I think you need a nice mic-preamp for it.
What I do is I use a Fostex MR-8 harddiscrecorder (because Windows always fucks it up, so I'll only use the computer for editing i Cubase or whatever) then an Art Tube mic-preamp (these are fairly cheap and very good sounding) the the Shure (wich is a very rocking mic. And fairly cheap too. Freak Kitchen uses it) and then of course my amp.

I'm sorry I don't have recent recordings. The ones I did have from 2007 are deleted (thanks to windows).
And I'm not likely to record anytime soon.

edit; anywaiz. Feathers is a really awesome song. How come I've never heard of it?
Some special track?
I've got all of Vai's solo albums, + the ones with David Lee Roth and Whitesnake.

Ah yeah...so for example a Boss BR-300,600 or something could do aswell? Since those are pretty much the same thing.

So maybe i can buy the Line 6 Toneport and also try to mic my amp with the dynamic instrument Shure mic i have through the toneport? Because my soundcard truly is suckz0r and i doubt it would like the company of a mic into it.

Why the hell do you want to make it so difficult?? :lol: Line 6 Toneports are connected to the PC via USB, you plug your guitar (without pedals or amps or eq things like your MXR) into the Toneport, select the distortions/effects/etc you want with a software called Gear Box IIRC (which comes with the Toneport) and then push the record button. There's no need to loose a whole day micing the amp to get a sound you like, :lol:

Wrong! That's because you never had OMGJackson Stars :lol: Nah, probably any of us would get such a tone from the PX4 because any of us would spend so much time and tries like Mitch trying to get that tone. I say that based on the fact that sometimes he posts recordings and he himself calls them shit or says the tone sucks and everybody else loves them, :lol:

Why the hell do you want to make it so difficult?? :lol: Line 6 Toneports are connected to the PC via USB, you plug your guitar (without pedals or amps or eq things like your MXR) into the Toneport, select the distortions/effects/etc you want with a software called Gear Box IIRC (which comes with the Toneport) and then push the record button. There's no need to loose a whole day micing the amp to get a sound you like, :lol:

No but i want to try to mic my amp someday. Also theres no damage in trying to explore possibilities :kickass: The presets on Toneport are worthless but tweaking with EQ and amp models can suprise you.

Wrong! That's because you never had OMGJackson Stars :lol: Nah, probably any of us would get such a tone from the PX4 because any of us would spend so much time and tries like Mitch trying to get that tone. I say that based on the fact that sometimes he posts recordings and he himself calls them shit or says the tone sucks and everybody else loves them, :lol:

:rofl:.

I'm a tone freak myself too. You wouldn't wanna know how much time I used eqing my amp, trying this and that to get tones I liked.
And how many money I used.

I specifically went for a Caparison PH-R humbucker, I changed speakers and tubes on my laney, and used atleast 100 hours on equing it.
Also been trying this and that with dist. pedals.
Right now it's just the amp, my Ibanez (with Caparison), a little gain boost from an EMG afterburner (only a little) wich thickens up the sound just enough, and a wicked setting being something like 9,5 and such.

I was never really satisfied with the digital way. AmpliTube and a Quattro USB firewire did work okay, but I was never really satisfied with the sound.
Neither was I with pods, and everything other simulator.
I do think the Korg thing sounded pretty good on Mitch example, but I still feel that it misses that something you get from a real tube amp.
I'm probably alot more picky than a listener would ever be :lol:.
But then again, that depends on the person.

'

another thing, does anyone know how to get your hands on this outside the uk;

Hellhounds On My Trail CD EP

I'm mostly interested in the live tracks. Would like some with good recording. Looking to replace the Blooddrunk album with live recordings as soon as possible, because I think their sound live is better than on the actual album

Some things have to be made clear (I have the PX4d and the Toneport).

1. The presets on EVERY Multieffect are useless. You never get away without tweaking, because equipment is different.

2. The Pandora and the Toneport are two completely different things.

3. The Pandora PX4D is good and you can get awesome sounds out of it. It is a very nice opportunity to practice stuff whereever you are because of the integrated metronome and drum patterns. You can jam with it everywhere because you can record some seconds over a drum/bass track.

4. The Toneport is an audiointerface, that's why you can't really compare it to the PX4D (you could compare it to the PX5 though). The UX-2 (169 EUR I think) has two line ins AND 2 mic ins.
It IS an external soundcard with integrated mic preamps. You can record with a mic, the UX-2 is able to record a dry track without all the effects of Gearbox (the program in your PC). So you can use it instead of your current soundcard (just turn this one off).

So you see that you can't compare both things, but you CAN compare the PX4D to the Gearbox Software.
This software delivers the same basic tones like the POD which I like very much. Of course you can - just like a POD user - download the updates like Metal Shop for awesomeness (I don't have it, but I heard it). Plus, you can download and upload other User Tones, they can be sorted by the name of the guitarist or the band.

I prefer the sounds of the gearbox, but for practicing and playing guitar at your girlfriend's place with headphones, the PX4D is unbeatable.
I'm not so experienced in tweaking the gearbox settings, but it's basic presets amaze me more than the pandora's.

My conclusion: If you want to record stuff, take the Toneport UX-2 because you won't need another soundcard and because it's able to record dry tracks. What I forgot to mention is that you can buy the Gearbox software as a VST too. That means: sounds can be switched afterwards.
If you want to practice and if you are focused on mitch's tone (like 99% of the users here, no offence) AND if you just like the tones of the Pandora very much, take the Pandora.

By the way, my friends of Begging For Incest recorded their latest demo with the sounds of the POD Metal Shop. I think it ran through an ENGL poweramp, but you can get an idea of the possible basic tone.
Listen to "Awaiting the Fist" (and consider that it was a recording studio):
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=154108786

Some things have to be made clear (I have the PX4d and the Toneport).

1. The presets on EVERY Multieffect are useless. You never get away without tweaking, because equipment is different.

2. The Pandora and the Toneport are two completely different things.

3. The Pandora PX4D is good and you can get awesome sounds out of it. It is a very nice opportunity to practice stuff whereever you are because of the integrated metronome and drum patterns. You can jam with it everywhere because you can record some seconds over a drum/bass track.

4. The Toneport is an audiointerface, that's why you can't really compare it to the PX4D (you could compare it to the PX5 though). The UX-2 (169 EUR I think) has two line ins AND 2 mic ins.
It IS an external soundcard with integrated mic preamps. You can record with a mic, the UX-2 is able to record a dry track without all the effects of Gearbox (the program in your PC). So you can use it instead of your current soundcard (just turn this one off).

So you see that you can't compare both things, but you CAN compare the PX4D to the Gearbox Software.
This software delivers the same basic tones like the POD which I like very much. Of course you can - just like a POD user - download the updates like Metal Shop for awesomeness (I don't have it, but I heard it). Plus, you can download and upload other User Tones, they can be sorted by the name of the guitarist or the band.

I prefer the sounds of the gearbox, but for practicing and playing guitar at your girlfriend's place with headphones, the PX4D is unbeatable.
I'm not so experienced in tweaking the gearbox settings, but it's basic presets amaze me more than the pandora's.

My conclusion: If you want to record stuff, take the Toneport UX-2 because you won't need another soundcard and because it's able to record dry tracks. What I forgot to mention is that you can buy the Gearbox software as a VST too. That means: sounds can be switched afterwards.
If you want to practice and if you are focused on mitch's tone (like 99% of the users here, no offence) AND if you just like the tones of the Pandora very much, take the Pandora.

By the way, my friends of Begging For Incest recorded their latest demo with the sounds of the POD Metal Shop. I think it ran through an ENGL poweramp, but you can get an idea of the possible basic tone.
Listen to "Awaiting the Fist" (and consider that it was a recording studio):
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=154108786

COOL! Thanks. Well because im gonna be recording vocals aswell i think i will get the toneport. Is the Line 6 Toneport UX2 worth the money compared to UX1?