Guitar Player's Thread

Michael Amott on myspace:

Arch Enemy guitarist Michael Amott has parted ways with the ESP guitar company. The partnership lasted eight years and included the ESP/LTD line of successful “Ninja” Michael Amott signature series guitars.

Michael Amott has issued the following statement:

“I wasn’t really planning on announcing this and making a big deal out of it – but there’s a flood of e-mails and messages coming my way, as well as speculations on various forums. So I would like to set the record straight.

”

“1. It is true that I have parted ways with ESP guitars.

“

“2. I have not yet decided on a new guitar company to work with”.

“I would like to express my deepest gratitude to everyone at ESP USA and ESP JAPAN as well as all the distributors around the world for all their hard work and support over the last eight years!”

“There’s no hard feelings, only good memories. It was just time to move on”.

“I am extremely excited about getting a ‘fresh start’ and what I can achieve with another, future company as far as developing new Michael Amott weaponry!”

Oh sweet! Hope fully he will get a really nice endorsement:kickass:

I'm fucking torn apart 2 guitars right now.

Schecter v-1 Hellraiser vs. C-1 Hellraiser. The V-1 is more appealing as i am a big fucking Amott fanboi but also might be a bad choice because i have heard 1 dude say it had a bad balance to it but it could have been a "monday workpiece" he got. I have no idea...i don't see alot of Schecter V-1s at all! I've tried one sitting and it was great!!!

Oh sweet! Hope fully he will get a really nice endorsement:kickass:

I'm fucking torn apart 2 guitars right now.

Schecter v-1 Hellraiser vs. C-1 Hellraiser. The V-1 is more appealing as i am a big fucking Amott fanboi but also might be a bad choice because i have heard 1 dude say it had a bad balance to it but it could have been a "monday workpiece" he got. I have no idea...i don't see alot of Schecter V-1s at all! I've tried one sitting and it was great!!!

Dude, they're exactly the same guitar, just with a different body shape :lol:

Dude, they're exactly the same guitar, just with a different body shape :lol:

I am aware of that :lol: Well the neck joint is a bit harder acessible on the V but not much. I would choose the V lookwise but the C-1 is not far behind. It all depends if the V-1 Neckdives or not :erk: Which i have heard it does and i cant see why it would? The strap placement is not different to any guitar as far as i saw.

yeah....

But...

A big thank u to Eli, eveningninja, Nick & reaperscythe!!! I'm glad this file was enjoyable for some people other than myself. :) I would keep all the melodies but the final version wouldn't be just loads of guitar solos, I just didn't know where to go from there but wanted to record something. It's a great compliment to be compared to the likes of Jason Becker but also an even bigger one to know that I sound "unique" also, I've never thought I did but I'm glad I have a second opinion from some ears other than my own.

It's kinda put me in the mood to experiment some more and maybe try something new, I absolutely love Jason's compositional gift and I simply cannot wait for his new album, which was composed with his fucking EYES!! I love End Of The Beginning & Concerto, just like someone else...but also pretty much everything else he released around that time too.

And Mystique, I can understand what you mean about the TLAOD thing because it's just a simple melody over a few chords and I see the similarity in it now that you've mentioned it, but judging by the sound alone, considering melody, key & that it's in a major key, I would never have ever thought it was similar. I randomly came up with it while sitting on the edge of the bathtub in the dark with my Ibanez. :zombie:

And regarding the practice thing...I really don't. I just sit here and jam along to COB/Sinergy/PG/Bullet/Metallica all night and if I make a mistake, I leave it and carry on. I haven't used a metronome properly in years, it sucks. All these licks I play come from just overplaying certain licks that I've stolen from Laiho & Gilbert. I "practice" Yngwie's way now.

But anyway, rant over, thanks again for the kind comments!

Edit: Nick, your vids are cool! Duno the songs but you did a good job on both!

It does indeed sound nice.

Let me say, I'll be the first to buy your solo album :)

You have some interesting kickass ideas, and it truly sounds like yourself.

To me having your own unique style as a guitarist is the most important thing, then the ability to play the music inside your head -atleast if I have to listen to it. If you just cover stuff, or play for fun I won't be one to say "OMG GET YOUR OWN STYLE" - but it always makes me happy when someones got it.

And regarding the practice thing...I really don't. I just sit here and jam along to COB/Sinergy/PG/Bullet/Metallica all night and if I make a mistake, I leave it and carry on. I haven't used a metronome properly in years, it sucks. All these licks I play come from just overplaying certain licks that I've stolen from Laiho & Gilbert. I "practice" Yngwie's way now.

Same thing for me. I just sit down and jam to whatever band I feel like listening to, often playing the same licks over and over again, without planning beforehand what I will play. Kinda going with the flow.

That's the impression I have of players who have played some years, they practice alot the first 3-4 years, then they chill more, and have less structure and "plan" behind what they're playing. I believe most people get tired of the "I must practice at least 3 hours today" or the metronome thing.

My personal opinion is that you play guitar because it's fun, and forcing yourself to play when you don't want to, is not fun, in which case the whole meaning of playing is gone.

Sorry guys, I'm going to have to push the jam back by a few days. I really don't feel good right now and am not in the condition to play guitar (I haven't recorded my solo yet) so it'll either be tomorrow night, wednesday or thursday. I aplogize for those of you that expected it. It would have been done but I wanted to do the Covers Thread stuff first and now I'm not too good.

This is what I've been working on today:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=844658&content=music

Same thing for me. I just sit down and jam to whatever band I feel like listening to, often playing the same licks over and over again, without planning beforehand what I will play. Kinda going with the flow.

That's the impression I have of players who have played some years, they practice alot the first 3-4 years, then they chill more, and have less structure and "plan" behind what they're playing. I believe most people get tired of the "I must practice at least 3 hours today" or the metronome thing.

My personal opinion is that you play guitar because it's fun, and forcing yourself to play when you don't want to, is not fun, in which case the whole meaning of playing is gone.

true

still, i feel pretty bad for not practicing as much as i did back then, seeing as when i started out, and practice titloads, i was like "AMAFAWKINGGAAWD I CANT WAIT TILL I CAN PLAY [insert whatever lick/solo here], MUST PLAY SO MUCH", now, i can do most of the goals i set myself, i still have many left, but the practicing thing, i just cant get into it, more than 1 hour pure practice and i get really restless

i still play some songs, and noodle around while browsing, but still..

He has a beautiful tone, but this solo ist just too stereotype for my taste. He needs that jazz/fusion touch of Andy Timmons and Guthrie Govan in my eyes, it would make it a bit more interesting (although I can't do better, obviously).

Speaking of Timmons and Govan, did anyone notice that Govan could be influenced be Timmons A LOT in the way he bends the strings?

Govan (mega awesome!!)
[ame]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=6871640[/ame]

Timmons (awesome aswell)

Last edited by a moderator:
i was like "AMAFAWKINGGAAWD I CANT WAIT TILL I CAN PLAY [insert whatever lick/solo here], MUST PLAY SO MUCH"

yeah, but you know what I realized today? It is only when you're not in a rush to learn something, that it comes out good, and your playing turns out more polished. Because I know we all have moments where we're like "OMG I HAVE TO LEARN THIS BY TOMORROW!!" and then we rush ourselves to get it down. but that usually doesn't turn out very clean, because we don't practice it enough and slow enough. it's best if you always take your time with whatever you're trying to conquer.

Even when I reached my goals, I've made a warm up set that covers different fingerings, techniques and some rythm guitar to keep me up there. Then I'll learn songs and write myself. Wich is basically how it already is, except I'm not good enough yet.

Oh, and Mitch do you have more original stuff? :p