Guitar Player's Thread

i think someone really need to say that swabs. thanks for saying it. I know this is a guitar players thread, but some of us do actually come here to talk about MUSIC not just guitar parts and whatnot
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...DSIvXN6K6qAOGjLi4BQ&q=michael+iuzzolino&emb=1
thats mike iuzzolino playing the sins and shadows solo 4 years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgw1rD83588
him pwning the bastard chain solo by soilwork
Best
Fucking
Vibrato
Ever

This guy is cool 8D.

Will definately check his myspace out.

Yes!

I'm so sick of all these posts. It used to be exciting when someone had posted in the GP's thread, because you knew it would be something interesting. Now it mostly isn't. Also, ban the phenom from this thread if he so much as mentions his randall or wah's or wtf.

HAHA so fucking true! Agreed with all, which is why I hardly post here anymore.

Too many people think they know it all these days; I really miss it when everyone used to ask questions :lol: It was interesting to hear of everyones input on an array of topics.

Ok, non-gear related question it is

Alternate picking

I suck at it, i economy pick like there's no tomorrow, and thusly scaleruns sound balls, atleast in my opinion.

I want to alternate pick properly, but i dont know where to start, how to start. I have tried you know, always alternating, but there comes a time where i have to skip over a string to go "down", and this feels so horribly unnatural. I can't help but think i'm doing it wrong.. Mystique said i should check out paul gilberts rock, majiggy, and i did find something on google video, but i had to go, and i probably should download it so i can access it more easilly.

But yes, could anyone elaborate on how the technique is exactly done, what type of training i need to do to boost this, and how many YEARS i will need to adjust to Alternate picking, and automatically do it, instead of FUCKING economy picking?

yea well once you get into thta bad habbit of not doin things right when you try to do it right its fucking hard,my problem is hammer ons and pull offs i always jsut pick blindly but,i think the trick is just spend quality on a few exercises trying to get over it and it will work jsut as well,ause now im doin it properly cause of the quality time,but ask the others for better advice haha

Alternate picking

I suck at it, i economy pick like there's no tomorrow, and thusly scaleruns sound balls, atleast in my opinion.

I want to alternate pick properly, but i dont know where to start, how to start. I have tried you know, always alternating, but there comes a time where i have to skip over a string to go "down", and this feels so horribly unnatural. I can't help but think i'm doing it wrong.. Mystique said i should check out paul gilberts rock, majiggy, and i did find something on google video, but i had to go, and i probably should download it so i can access it more easilly.

But yes, could anyone elaborate on how the technique is exactly done, what type of training i need to do to boost this, and how many YEARS i will need to adjust to Alternate picking, and automatically do it, instead of FUCKING economy picking?

Since you have alot of years of economy-ing behind you, it's going to be tough to break a habbit, but it doesn't take that much time. The concept is pretty simple, just alternate between ups and downs.

This is one of many great videos by Paul, it really can't be described better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kinda glad I never really even bothered to learn Economy Picking :p I just went straight on to alternate picking without even finding out what economy picking was. But unfortunately that means I can't really give advice on it either.

Alternate picking

Since you have alot of years of economy-ing behind you, it's going to be tough to break a habbit, but it doesn't take that much time. The concept is pretty simple, just alternate between ups and downs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJNUGHxC3M

I'm kinda glad I never really even bothered to learn Economy Picking I just went straight on to alternate picking without even finding out what economy picking was. But unfortunately that means I can't really give advice on it either.

Wait wait wait, I always though that economy picking was better than alternate? Well that's what I've been said :err:

^I never really understood economy picking. Have some video where Michael Romeo goes into explaining it but...

Yes!

I'm so sick of all these posts. It used to be exciting when someone had posted in the GP's thread, because you knew it would be something interesting. Now it mostly isn't. Also, ban the phenom from this thread if he so much as mentions his randall or wah's or wtf.
...Fuck you!:p
Pђoenix;7589822 said:
HAHA so fucking true! Agreed with all, which is why I hardly post here anymore.

Too many people think they know it all these days; I really miss it when everyone used to ask questions :lol: It was interesting to hear of everyones input on an array of topics.

Yeah well apparently Inhe hated me for asking questions about wahwah's and Randalls :lol:

(Concluded those 2 discussions long time ago. People were saying my playing was shit but it turned out the tubes were broken but probably both were accurate...lewl. Also got a new wahwah from the store when i showed him the problem. SO THOSE ARE LONG AGO CONCLUDED!)

Hmmm...i might be in the market for a new cab to replace my shit behringer one. Budget is like 400-500€ probably. Any ideas whatsoever?

Also i wish my Schecter Hellraiser would arrive at the musicshop shortly. The wait is driving me crazy! My Jackson RR24 will go to E tuning when i finally get it and i will then unblock the FR. Or coudl that possibly cause some problems with that ive had it blocked for a while?

Wait wait wait, I always though that economy picking was better than alternate? Well that's what I've been said :err:

Watch the video i posted, it explains it pretty well.

The thing is that economy picking is a more efficent way to pick, obviously, since you move less. But this also means that the sound changes, and since many people like the aggressive sound of alternate picking, they choose that one.

On a 3 note per string scale, alternate picking would be: down, up, down, up, down, up etc. Where as economy would be down, up, down, down, up, down etc.

^Thanks, I was wondering myself about the differences too.

How does making the runs in legato qualify? Cos I use alt picking, but when I can't get something with alt picking is easier for me to make it legato and pick only the first note on each string instead of economy picking, which I've never used.

@Matias:
CAB: Wait a lil bit more and get a cool one for 800-900€ instead of a 500€ now and a 800-900€ in a year. That's my advice at least.
SHECTER: Patience my friend, you'll be even more excited when you get it. Dunno, is the only thing I can say, :lol:
RR24 tuning: I don't see how it sould be bad for it to unlock the floyd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJNUGHxC3M

Why can't all teachers be like him? :lol: Paul rocks as teacher probably, now I just have to decide in which does he rock more: teacher or player? :lol:

The thing is that economy picking is a more efficent way to pick, obviously, since you move less. But this also means that the sound changes, and since many people like the aggressive sound of alternate picking, they choose that one.

On a 3 note per string scale, alternate picking would be: down, up, down, up, down, up etc. Where as economy would be down, up, down, down, up, down etc.
So Economy Picking would be useful in like playing that involves much legato and such and not that much of Chromatic runs etc?
@Matias:
CAB: Wait a lil bit more and get a cool one for 800-900€ instead of a 500€ now and a 800-900€ in a year. That's my advice at least.
SHECTER: Patience my friend, you'll be even more excited when you get it. Dunno, is the only thing I can say, :lol:
RR24 tuning: I don't see how it sould be bad for it to unlock the floyd.:
Im just thinking about the neck since alot of tension will be applied to the neck suddenly when i install the springs again, right? And yeah i hope so. I am expecting the Shecter to arrive either Monday or Tuesday(PICS WILL COME ASAP). Well thats true about the cab...and since i don't start full band practicing before January i don't see why i NEED a new cab either to be honest. :lol: On another note: Damn i love this 12-56 gauge :lol: So good for Standard C tuning!

So, in brief, Economy is more in term of techniques and efficiency, and Alternate is more about feelings and sound, if I can say.

STOP FUCKING DOING THAT.

MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN

So Economy Picking would be useful in like playing that involves much legato and such and not that much of Chromatic runs etc?

wat

I don't really understand what you're getting at. If you're playing something that contains alot of legato, you're not economy picking it, you're legato-ing.

^Thanks, I was wondering myself about the differences too.

How does making the runs in legato qualify? Cos I use alt picking, but when I can't get something with alt picking is easier for me to make it legato and pick only the first note on each string instead of economy picking, which I've never used.

Legato itself is a pretty loose term, since the actual technique for guitar is called hammer-ons and pull-ofs, legato is a musical term that describes the sound of the notes, and basically means that the notes flow together, smoothly. Really, the best explanation would be that it's the opposite of staccato.

If you're playing a 4 note per string scale, you're obligated to alternate pick it, unless you start with and upstroke.

man your anal,and dont deny it haha XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD once more XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDD

BUHAHAHAHA MORE MORE XDDDDXDDDDDXDDDD perverted anal swab haha

man your anal,and dont deny it haha XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD once more XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDD

BUHAHAHAHA MORE MORE XDDDDXDDDDDXDDDD perverted anal swab haha

Oh my god :lol::lol::lol:

Haha see its a disease man let your shoulders down and feel it

MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN MY EYES ARE SHUT BUT MY MOUTH IS OPEN

Hey Flo, just thought I'd mention that I no longer think you're the most retarded person on this forum. That position has gone to someone else, congratulations.