Guitar Player's Thread

Aye, being in a band is great fun! My band havent really played live yet cause we're stripped down to 2 members atm :lol:

But we write a lot of music, exchange ideas and rehearse whenever we see fit, recording and shit, great fun

We've played 5 gigs and have 2 more due in Oct 4th and 6th, and ''studio sessions'' somewhere around Christmas for our demo, but still I think the funiest time was when we started the band and we were rehearsing in a shithole from some friends of us with 15W amps :lol:

aww reading about all your band experiences makes me really wanna start one :( and I think I would if I found the right people who would be into playing melodic metal, but finding the "right" people is a really hard thing to do. I might jam with my neighbor soon, he's played guitar for about a year...so I doubt we'd write the type of music I like...but at least it's a start. Bad thing about him tho, is that he's a huge pot head. And from experience, I know that people who smoke weed constantly aren't very reliable.

anyway, tell me what you guys think about this; I did the guitars yesterday and finished up with the bass tonight. and I could REALLY use some advice on mixing, cuz when it comes to EQs and shit, I have no idea what I'm doing...like I try messing around with them, but I hardly hear a difference, so I don't even bother changing anything. I advice you to listen thru headphones cuz the quality tends to be better.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rpc7x7

oh yeah, this is only the instrumental version. me and my sis have written the vocals for it, but now I just gotta wait for her lazy ass to record them for me. and she's gonna try to do it black metal style :heh: :lol:

hey guys i was wondering,im trying to get more fuller high pitch squels when i do a pinch harmonic,should i get like a boss compressor ???

hey guys i was wondering,im trying to get more fuller high pitch squels when i do a pinch harmonic,should i get like a boss compressor ???

Forget about that dude, equipment won't make better, only affect the sound a little bit.

Train pinch harmonics, and the higher pitched squeals are often located at the G-H-E string, at the lower frets. For example 3rd fret, G string. It also depends on how you pich the string, and where.

I still find it very hard to do good squeals. Imo I think that the strings have something to say, in D tuning, I can do high pitched squeals very easily on 10-46 strings, but on my 11-56 strings, it is harder managing to pull them off with ease and still sound good and killer.

Forget about that dude, equipment won't make better, only affect the sound a little bit.

Train pinch harmonics, and the higher pitched squeals are often located at the G-H-E string, at the lower frets. For example 3rd fret, G string. It also depends on how you pich the string, and where.

I still find it very hard to do good squeals. Imo I think that the strings have something to say, in D tuning, I can do high pitched squeals very easily on 10-46 strings, but on my 11-56 strings, it is harder managing to pull them off with ease and still sound good and killer.

im using LT-9's which are like 9-40 something but its hard to get a decent squel that sounds loud enought even as much as i try,any tips on methods ??well better frm whtat im doin cause im trying stuff that are outta my zone to try to get a good pinch harmonics

im using LT-9's which are like 9-40 something but its hard to get a decent squel that sounds loud enought even as much as i try,any tips on methods ??well better frm whtat im doin cause im trying stuff that are outta my zone to try to get a good pinch harmonics

Well it could be bad distortion, or of you are using overdrive, I can't get any decent squeals when using overdrive.

If it isn't that, you just have to practise. I still do.

It depends what tuning you are using, but if you tune down to D or dropped C, it might be your strings that are too light... I tune down to dropped C, I use 11-49 and my squeals are just fine.

well you see i can get the squels but its like it never lasts even as well as i try to get the pinch harmonics,and i do get it i think its the distortion,anyways,does anyone have reviews on the EMG HZ with pole piece cause im really thinking of changin mine to the EMG 8 with the MM-04 booster as ive heard they work pretty well cause i feel the HZ has a really dry sound to it

It depends what tuning you are using, but if you tune down to D or dropped C, it might be your strings that are too light... I tune down to dropped C, I use 11-49 and my squeals are just fine.

damn,im tuned to D standard,damn if i change i have to get the ployd intonated,thats a pain in the butt both ways,if i have to do it myself or the shop do it :cry:

luk171.jpg

I'm going to be doing recording a bunch of my own stuff while I'm at school for fun and i want everything to have the same tone so I'm trying to decide on the uniform tone for the "album".

I am going for that Soilwork/Inflames/Arch Enemy sort of sound.

http://soundclick.com/lowberg
On my soundclick there are 3 new clips:

Impulse Test 1
Impulse Test 2
Impulse Test 3

In the clips there is no post-EQ'ing of the guitars, Im going to probably stick a HP and LP filter on there to get it a punchier sound.

Let me know which clip you like the best, they are all the same performance with just different impulses so they sound pretty similar.

I've taken a listen to each one, and to me the problem is - the sound is way to loose.

It needs more tightness imo, and less rectifier sounding tone. But tone is opinion, I'm just throwing mine out there.

I know what you mean, some post-EQing boosting th mids will help give it a tighter sound.
I know half the people here are going to be like EWW ITS NOT RAWW LIKE ALEKSI'S YOUS NEEDS TO USE LEEJAWCKSONS

But I dont want that bodomy sound for my melodic death thing, im saving that tone for my band stuff