Guitar Player's Thread

thank you for actually commenting :) There's not just one guitar doing the rhythm, both guitars are doing rhythm and lead, just not always at the same time. and they are panned to each side. I thought the bass was fairly audible, no? anyway, I know my tone still sucks. It's just freakin hard to tweek up a good tone. It'll come with time I hope. But I'll try out your settings for bass, treble, and mids.

Something quick that I remembered, not sure if you did that or not: for the rythm, don't record one track and then copy it and pan one to the left and one to the right, record 2 tracks (playing the exact same thing but recorded twice). They're always slightly different which gives it a better touch IMO. Same goes for the leads if you want them doubled and panned.

Pickup reccomendation question:

In my stars, I feel that my EMG-HZ is too muddy, not so clear, and not so "IM GONNA MUTILATE YOUR FACE!", if you get me?

I want a sharp, good mid, powerful, clear tone. I ofc want Alexi's TW tone, but it would be hard to get all the components. I was thinking about the Blackout, not because of Allu but because of all the good reviews. Anyone tried it? Does it meet my requirements?

If not, recommend any pup that does.

And I also don't have the chance to try most of 'em.. I don't live in a very big place. So i'll have to order the pickup, and just hope for the best, like I did with my Japan RR.

I'm really happy with my EMG 81, but seeing as everyone says that the Blackouts are the evolution of the 81 and that they have the good things from it but not the bad ones I supose that the smart choice are the Blackouts.

No problem! It's very hard to find good recording tone. I got a couple good tones. Well the guitar didn't have that much bass and it wasn't eq'd tight enough so it wasn't that puncy. Just fuck around with the EQing and it will be ok!

Just to get you started: my Rhytm tone in a recording i did was:(I assume you have gearbox)

Drive: 12 o clock
Bass: 12-13 o clock
Middle: 9 o clock(yeah i know it's low but i used this to fill out the sound and it worked quite good:) )
Treble:12 o clock
Presence: 12 o clock(This is important! Too much will easily mud up your tone, you should add treble and presence in lead tones though but when you want those tight crushing chords it's gonna mud up a bit)

The amp simulations i used on that one is 1993 Solo 100 Head and 4x12 1996 Brit Celests v-30. :) That's just my rhytm tone and to get you started. You might find it close to what you want there. It isn't a setting youd play live with or anything its just that its fits and fills out alot of that "hollowness" in recordings and sounds nice and punchy. If you want it to be even punchier just lower gain a bit. There...i hope i helped. Might have sounded a bit like bullshit but thats how i got the tone for this recording which was actually my frst recording. Don't worry bout the drums...just shitty Guitar Pro drums :lol:

--->http://www.sendspace.com/file/ngk7io

Listening :)

Nope, I don't, but I really hate the EMG-PA2, it's utter shit.
I recently for this aprox. 800$ scholarship (?) this month, and I want to spend it on guitar related things. I also have to buy books, but I have all books exept one.

But what I was thinking was that I could just get an active pickup, instead of booster (mm-04) and a passive pickup. I don't mind not having a booster tbh.

With that money you can do whatever you want :lol: Even order both the Blackout and the EMG HZ+MM04 combo :lol:

Seems like everyone likes this track. I think we'll use this, then Technical Difficulties after or a slow one after (like the Guthrie one) and then RD after that, to avoid doing too much metal/shred.

That's ok for me. My vote goes for that :lol:

Btw, what does "Vitun Urpo!" actually mean?

Fucking idiot IIRC :lol:

They are a good, decent band. With nice ok songs, tho they are lacking the POWEROFSOLOS. Which they assigned me to do.

J-50BC alone won't make that sound:mad:

.. i wud need teh GEEEPWEEONETHWOUSHAND !

Nah seriously, I read that the J-50BC had little gain and not so much punch. I want a pickup with face mutilating razor sharp powers without the need of a preamp or booster. Actually.. I just want something better than my HZ's. I think i'm gonna order the blackouts.

:lol: This post made my day. About the pickup, what I already told you stands as my opinion so far.

Something quick that I remembered, not sure if you did that or not: for the rythm, don't record one track and then copy it and pan one to the left and one to the right, record 2 tracks (playing the exact same thing but recorded twice). They're always slightly different which gives it a better touch IMO. Same goes for the leads if you want them doubled and panned.

Yes, exactly. This will give the effect of a "fuller" sound, where as it won't when you copy and paste (unless you do some changes either with the eq, or the time placement). So just play the same thing twice (or if you are harmonizing the rythms, just play the different harmonies.

Yes, exactly. This will give the effect of a "fuller" sound, where as it won't when you copy and paste (unless you do some changes either with the eq, or the time placement). So just play the same thing twice (or if you are harmonizing the rythms, just play the different harmonies.

I agree! Thats how i did on the recording i submitted some posts up. Not on the tapping because that was impossible to get synched anyway.

I tried quad tracking with the same clip once

it sounded like teh guitar fell down a phaser well, it was fucking horrible :lol:

Yey! Look what came today..

DSC00118-1.jpg

Also came with a t-shirt which is far too fucking small - I actually think it's children's size. Trying to stretch it out to a large as of now :lol:

DSC00115.jpg

Also great stuff @ Earth Breather + Mitch

Instead of getting the SD blackouts and attempting the EMG 18volt mod... wait for the new EMG X's that come out first quarter in 2009. I wouldn't doubt if this is what Alexi is using now, since NO ONE knows 100% for sure, Brendon Small (of DETHKLOK/metalocalypse) is also a artist to be using them right now. They're not out yet and no one really knows about them.. Basically they're EMG's that sound just like, if better than the actual 18volt mod of the 81 and 85. They're not as compressed and have more head room, which is basically what everyones been looking for in EMG's... I was never an EMG user, but I definitely think I'll be picking up a set. There's a Brendob Small interview where he explains them a bit, but not much more than I have if anyone is interested a little bit more. I called EMG myself to ask them about these pickups and they told me so much that make these pickups sound awesome. Probably a very promising tone. Looking forward to these.

Instead of getting the SD blackouts and attempting the EMG 18volt mod... wait for the new EMG X's that come out first quarter in 2009. I wouldn't doubt if this is what Alexi is using now, since NO ONE knows 100% for sure, Brendon Small (of DETHKLOK/metalocalypse) is also a artist to be using them right now. They're not out yet and no one really knows about them.. Basically they're EMG's that sound just like, if better than the actual 18volt mod of the 81 and 85. They're not as compressed and have more head room, which is basically what everyones been looking for in EMG's... I was never an EMG user, but I definitely think I'll be picking up a set. There's a Brendob Small interview where he explains them a bit, but not much more than I have if anyone is interested a little bit more. I called EMG myself to ask them about these pickups and they told me so much that make these pickups sound awesome. Probably a very promising tone. Looking forward to these.

I was never much into active pups but this sounds interesting. You have any sources?

EMG X eyh.. Ive heard stuff about them, but not this much, thanks for the info!

i myself actually really like the EMG81. I have one in my Jackson Kelly, and i love it :lol:

Gavin of A.. Well, formerly Alestorm kept bugging me to try the 18V mod, so far i havent really gotten around to it.. I'm contemplating making a system to switch from 9V to 18V and back. Due to the way its wired its not as simple as adding a switch, but Gavin said its no point, i'll never want to go back to 9V after 18 :lol:..

EMG X eyh.. Ive heard stuff about them, but not this much, thanks for the info!

i myself actually really like the EMG81. I have one in my Jackson Kelly, and i love it :lol:

Gavin of A.. Well, formerly Alestorm kept bugging me to try the 18V mod, so far i havent really gotten around to it.. I'm contemplating making a system to switch from 9V to 18V and back. Due to the way its wired its not as simple as adding a switch, but Gavin said its no point, i'll never want to go back to 9V after 18 :lol:..

That's what I've heard to. 18v mod is supposed to sound awesome, and the clips I've heard of it is like really fucking punchy and clear. I still prefer the tone of passives though, but I can easily see an idea in choosing EMGs with 18v mod as opposed to passives. They sound a whole lotta different, but still like guitars.
Normal EMGs (9v) sounds like farts and nails on blackboards to me.

I never double-track leads, unless they're harmonized.

Yeah i figured as much :lol:

I actually once got the tapping right when double tracking. That was awesome....

Shame i deleted it! :erk: Nah i actually only double track the rhytm...Haven't even tried double tracking any leads and i don't think theres much point in that either.

I didn't log in yesterday and didn't even play the guitar, I had too much homework and things to study and I still have to study today but I'm pissed of mathematics for today.

@ Mystique: I think it's a matter of tone. It could sounds a lot better. Another thing is that the drums are boring but I myself suck at tabbing drums, even if I have good ideas. Also, pinch harmonics without vibrato suck. ;) I don't know anything about recording.
I'd so like to play in a band too. My first gig was very short but awesome. We played in a bar with maybe 15 guitars on the stage :lol: a very great bass player but a shitty drummer but it was awesome. The crowd (mainly parents, friends, sisters and brothers) really enjoyed the show. A lot of guitarist were true beginners but I and some friends rocked out. :kickass:

@ Lowberg: Hmm I will listen to them one more time tomorrow, I didn't heard that much difference between the three ones but I'm a bit too tired.

@ Earth Breather: I listened to Hammerfall and even went to one of their gig's but I don't listen do them anymore, I don't know why. Anyway, that's well played.

@ Ensi: The EMG81 is very 'transparent'. It will sound good only if you have a good guitar with good wood. Alder is not that much special.

@ The Phenom: I friend of mine who's living in France will sell me his JE-1200. I have a TB-4 so IF he really sells me his JE-1200, I'll told you what I think of that.

@ Mitch: Nice. I was not expecting those pictures at then end of 'Vitun Urpo' but it seriously made me :lol: even if I had already seen them before. The 'Wake Up in Hell' cover was very well played. Seeing accurate play makes me want to improve myself more and more and I really like your picking hand. I mean the way you pick the strings. Very nice picking. And about technique, you told that now you don't practice anymore. But don't you think that "shred beginners" who don't want to shred sloppily should first practice for some time before 'only play&jam'?

@ Dununu... (I won't count how many nu's): I've practised sunday and it feels really challenging and exciting when you feel like "yeah, play that lick some more times and you'll get it!'

^That's exactly the way I feel when practicing!

It took me a long time to get that feeling (before, I always felt like I was too bad, but that's because listening to PG makes you go crazy :p), but it makes you want to practice!

I never double-track leads, unless they're harmonized.

I do it sometimes but instead of double tracking just copy the same and pan 100% R and L because that way it sounds clearer I don't know why.

I tried quad tracking with the same clip once

it sounded like teh guitar fell down a phaser well, it was fucking horrible :lol:

Really? How did that happen? I quad guitars sometimes when I can't get enough punch and they work fine :ill:

Pђoenix;7619461 said:
Yey! Look what came today..

DSC00118-1.jpg

Also came with a t-shirt which is far too fucking small - I actually think it's children's size. Trying to stretch it out to a large as of now :lol:

DSC00115.jpg

Also great stuff @ Earth Breather + Mitch

Congrats dude, and the shirt must be an S or something, but still not far from what I usually wear. I mean, I don't wear breathtakingly tight shirts like some people do, but I don't like them to be loose as fuck as rap people do f.e. :lol:

@ Ensi: The EMG81 is very 'transparent'. It will sound good only if you have a good guitar with good wood. Alder is not that much special.

My RR24 is alder and my EMG 81 sounds fucking awesome :lol:

Indeed. My BC Rich has basswood and my Jackson Stars has alder. They both have J-50BC's in them and the BCR sounds MUCH better. That's why I asked earlier if the real ESP's had alder bodies, because I'm not a fan of it for body woods. My new RR will have poplar, and I'm dying to try that.

@ Mitch: Nice. I was not expecting those pictures at then end of 'Vitun Urpo' but it seriously made me :lol: even if I had already seen them before. The 'Wake Up in Hell' cover was very well played. Seeing accurate play makes me want to improve myself more and more and I really like your picking hand. I mean the way you pick the strings. Very nice picking. And about technique, you told that now you don't practice anymore. But don't you think that "shred beginners" who don't want to shred sloppily should first practice for some time before 'only play&jam'?

Thank you very much! I appreciate the comments, especially since I'm not liking my picking too much! I need more PG style...

And yes, practising for beginners is a MUST. I was only saying to Brad that I don't practice anymore because I've pretty much got the foundations of all techniques (except 8 finger tapping :rolleyes:) so if I wanna play something, I can pretty much get it, it'll be sloppy at first but I can usually clean it up a bit if I play it over and over (which I guess IS a form of practice...)

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=42932015
got this hammerfall solo by ear. its so fun to play. now I just need to clean up the sloppy parts rofl

Warheart said:
Nice!! You're another player that I've noticed has improved loads since the beginning, great job!

^This. Good job! You have gotten better.

That's exactly what I do NOW. I used to practice properly but I don't anymore and I find it more enjoyable. I used to hate doing it because it was so boring and I didn't find myself improving much.

Same. I don't practice scales and exercises anymore, I have most of what I need down. Learning songs IS practice. However, I am very rusty because I don't have time to play guitar as much anymore, mainly on weekends. I think I'll go play now, haha!

And here's two videos I recorded yesterday for fun:
Sinergy - Wake Up In Hell
Kylähullut - Vitun Urpo!

Btw, what does "Vitun Urpo!" actually mean?

I love the vids you post :kickass: Always makes me want to learn some more Sinergy!

Edit: Are you playing through your computer's speakers or using headphones? My computer has too much latency to play through the speakers...

I'm not sure if I said already, but I will participate in the forum jam. The backing track Earth Breather posted, correct?

Congrats dude, and the shirt must be an S or something, but still not far from what I usually wear. I mean, I don't wear breathtakingly tight shirts like some people do, but I don't like them to be loose as fuck as rap people do f.e. :lol::

Or maybe its a slimfit or girlie. :lol: I got XS/S in shirt size :lol: