Guitar Player's Thread

That was really cool! You've definitely progressed loads since you first joined, I look forward to hearing the vocal version.

I didn't log in yesterday and didn't even play the guitar, I had too much homework and things to study and I still have to study today but I'm pissed of mathematics for today.

@ Mystique: I think it's a matter of tone. It could sounds a lot better. Another thing is that the drums are boring but I myself suck at tabbing drums, even if I have good ideas. Also, pinch harmonics without vibrato suck. ;) I don't know anything about recording.
I'd so like to play in a band too. My first gig was very short but awesome. We played in a bar with maybe 15 guitars on the stage :lol: a very great bass player but a shitty drummer but it was awesome. The crowd (mainly parents, friends, sisters and brothers) really enjoyed the show. A lot of guitarist were true beginners but I and some friends rocked out. :kickass:
Thank you guys for those thoughts. I've decided I really don't like the tone, after listening a few times. and yeah, the pinched harmonic sounds too bland. I'll re-record after working on the tone a bit more.

Something quick that I remembered, not sure if you did that or not: for the rythm, don't record one track and then copy it and pan one to the left and one to the right, record 2 tracks (playing the exact same thing but recorded twice). They're always slightly different which gives it a better touch IMO. Same goes for the leads if you want them doubled and panned.
lol I haven't even figured out how to copy a track...never needed to, so no, that wasn't done on that song. I agree with playing same thing twice to pan to 2 different sides. Sounds much better. I think that's what I did for the Hate Me rhythm.

I'm not sure if I said already, but I will participate in the forum jam. The backing track Earth Breather posted, correct?
Wait...that's the Mark Moore one?

Instead of getting the SD blackouts and attempting the EMG 18volt mod... wait for the new EMG X's that come out first quarter in 2009. I wouldn't doubt if this is what Alexi is using now, since NO ONE knows 100% for sure, Brendon Small (of DETHKLOK/metalocalypse) is also a artist to be using them right now. They're not out yet and no one really knows about them.. Basically they're EMG's that sound just like, if better than the actual 18volt mod of the 81 and 85. They're not as compressed and have more head room, which is basically what everyones been looking for in EMG's... I was never an EMG user, but I definitely think I'll be picking up a set. There's a Brendob Small interview where he explains them a bit, but not much more than I have if anyone is interested a little bit more. I called EMG myself to ask them about these pickups and they told me so much that make these pickups sound awesome. Probably a very promising tone. Looking forward to these.

well thats really great to hear,im sure it will be kckass,but ill get the 81 then get that once its out

I was never much into active pups but this sounds interesting. You have any sources?

what pickups do you use,i mean my Hzs with pole pieces are like so dry well in my ears even when i try to get the best outta it and its like the gainboost isnt giving it much support

EMG X eyh.. Ive heard stuff about them, but not this much, thanks for the info!

i myself actually really like the EMG81. I have one in my Jackson Kelly, and i love it :lol:

Gavin of A.. Well, formerly Alestorm kept bugging me to try the 18V mod, so far i havent really gotten around to it.. I'm contemplating making a system to switch from 9V to 18V and back. Due to the way its wired its not as simple as adding a switch, but Gavin said its no point, i'll never want to go back to 9V after 18 :lol:..

That's what I've heard to. 18v mod is supposed to sound awesome, and the clips I've heard of it is like really fucking punchy and clear. I still prefer the tone of passives though, but I can easily see an idea in choosing EMGs with 18v mod as opposed to passives. They sound a whole lotta different, but still like guitars.
Normal EMGs (9v) sounds like farts and nails on blackboards to me.

hmm,ive heard alot about the 18Volt mod,and its all sounded f,good in many forums,do we do it ourselves or at the luthier??

@ Ensi: The EMG81 is very 'transparent'. It will sound good only if you have a good guitar with good wood. Alder is not that much special.
really,how iis this so that alder isnt a good wood or special for an active ??
My RR24 is alder and my EMG 81 sounds fucking awesome :lol:
somemwhat secured my decision :headbang:

Indeed. My BC Rich has basswood and my Jackson Stars has alder. They both have J-50BC's in them and the BCR sounds MUCH better. That's why I asked earlier if the real ESP's had alder bodies, because I'm not a fan of it for body woods. My new RR will have poplar, and I'm dying to try that.

Poplar is THE Jackson sound! :headbang: We were discussing about why Jackson don't make much poplar guitars anymore on a 'Jackson Addict' French forum. Poplar is lighter than alder but very soft. But what makes a guitar sound good is how many years the wood dried first. Wood which has been drying for 20 years will sound a lot better than wood which has dried only 6 months for a 'cheap' guitar.

really,how iis this so that alder isnt a good wood or special for an active ??

Well, it's not a matter of passive or active. It's just that the EMG81 doesn't really affect your tone. EMG 81 can sound a lot more badass on a very high end guitar. It all depends of the wood. Some other pickups can make a less good guitar sound better but an EMG 81 on an agathis LTD low end guitar will be a waste of money.

Poplar is lighter than alder

Sooooooooooooooo wrong.

I had 3 alder bodied RRs in my life (RX10D, RR-J2SP and CS Jackson Stars) and they were all MUCH lighter than my 6-7 (can't remember anymore :D) poplar bodied RRs I had.

Also, my 1985 poplar USA RR is lighter than the 1988 and 1989 poplar RRs (both USA too). buit still heavier than aler RRs I had.

I agree that poplar wood is the Jackson sound though!:headbang:

I'm thinking of getting an Ibanez since I wanna use it for Jazz band practice in my school.

Do you guys know any reliable Korean made ones or Japanese ones that are under $700?
You can just tell me the model, no need for a website or anything.

Guys, since I know ansolutely nothing about guitar and that, weirdly, that's the only thing that my ears can't judge (god knows why...) I'd like to know what you think of that:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/28un9n (See above to download the updated version)

It's just a ~4min song I recorded today, that isn't finished. Why? Because I'm a lazy bastard and I don't want to work on it if I don't think it worths it, but I can't tell if it would worth the work or no... By working on it I would add the keyboards and the bass, solos and probably some part at the end. What I'd like to know is if the Guitar IS THAT BAD to redo it. I mean, about the sound and the playing. I'm not a guitarist, technically speaking, so yeah there's mistake in it but I can't tell if it's that bad or not.

And please, listen to it and drop a comment, that would be really cool :D

EDIT: I've made adjustments on it. In my opinion the guitar's tone is better, (but it may be still shitty... I can't really tell :lol:) and I fixed some annoying mistakes.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fu2uyl

Hey, just wanted to update all you guys.

I'm working on an album for a new "band" which for now will just be my solo project but I want to make it a real band eventually.

I'm doing pre-production now, getting the songs all written the harmonies all worked out, writing lyrics. I've got about 6 songs done or close to being finished written

I'm hoping to have everything done by new years and then pimp the shit out of my "band" on the net before releasing the whole thing...probably for free since I'm doing everything myself.

I still need a name for the band which I'm terrible at thinking of names and anything cool I think of is taken.
I'm also looking for a better screamer to work with, i can do the high raspy screams good that i will contribute and can sing well but I want to find someone with a better mid-ranged scream that's still clear and you can understand them.

IDK thats all for now

Hey, just wanted to update all you guys.

I'm working on an album for a new "band" which for now will just be my solo project but I want to make it a real band eventually.

I'm doing pre-production now, getting the songs all written the harmonies all worked out, writing lyrics. I've got about 6 songs done or close to being finished written

I'm hoping to have everything done by new years and then pimp the shit out of my "band" on the net before releasing the whole thing...probably for free since I'm doing everything myself.

I still need a name for the band which I'm terrible at thinking of names and anything cool I think of is taken.
I'm also looking for a better screamer to work with, i can do the high raspy screams good that i will contribute and can sing well but I want to find someone with a better mid-ranged scream that's still clear and you can understand them.

IDK thats all for now

Antiface? Or Borborygme :lol: This is the French word for grumbling noises made by your intestine while you are digesting :lol:

Guys, since I know ansolutely nothing about guitar and that, weirdly, that's the only thing that my ears can't judge (god knows why...) I'd like to know what you think of that:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/28un9n (See above to download the updated version)

It's just a ~4min song I recorded today, that isn't finished. Why? Because I'm a lazy bastard and I don't want to work on it if I don't think it worths it, but I can't tell if it would worth the work or no... By working on it I would add the keyboards and the bass, solos and probably some part at the end. What I'd like to know is if the Guitar IS THAT BAD to redo it. I mean, about the sound and the playing. I'm not a guitarist, technically speaking, so yeah there's mistake in it but I can't tell if it's that bad or not.

And please, listen to it and drop a comment, that would be really cool :D

EDIT: I've made adjustments on it. In my opinion the guitar's tone is better, (but it may be still shitty... I can't really tell :lol:) and I fixed some annoying mistakes.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fu2uyl

The lead is very weak. Great ideas musically-speaking and "funny" main riff but I don't like the solo except the end of it which is very cool. ;)

The lead is very weak. Great ideas musically-speaking and "funny" main riff but I don't like the solo except the end of it which is very cool. ;)

Hmmm yeah I know what you mean. Actually I'd REALLY like to shred in a blow-your-mind way on that one, but I can't... Since I did that song yesterday, it's normal that I didn't come up with a cool solo yet. I'll rework the one that is already there and I'll practice another one for the guitar. I'm actually working on one for the keyboards too. Thanks for the feedback!