Guitar Player's Thread

Would anyone be interested in a COBOT - guitarplayers's thread jam???

Actual playing though, not GP4 stuff like what I organised a few months ago in the TAB thread.

count me in

Awesome.

I would join in, if I could find out how to actually record shit

Well this is what I use to record.

Guitar
Cable
Effects unit (to distort the signal)
Then into the soundcard (back of the computer, basically)

You'll need an adaptor to stick on the end of your guitar wire so it'll fit in the computer because the end of the cable is double the size of the pc port thing. Rock Hydra seems to know all the technical terms for this stuff so he'll be able to clear some things up.

Then, when your guitar is plugged in, you should be able to hear it through the speakers. Then you just need something to record the sound. Cool Edit, Cubase and Audacity are all popular programs that you can download (illegally) and use.

If you don't have an effects pedal or distortion pedal, you might have to find a program that does on-board distortion effects but I'm not sure about those.

If you just follow all of that, you should be ready to rawk. If you can't hear your guitar through your speakers, open up Control Panel and check that the "Line In" isn't muted. If it's not Line-in, it'll be "Mic",

General opinion on Gibson Les Pauls, anyone? esp. Customs? just curious... I went from a classical to strat to Hohner to LPCustom. I haven't ventured into Jackson, Ibanez, etc.

Cooool. I spose I'll organise this one too then. I dno what backing track to solo over though...we could either just pick a random "jam in xmin" or write something or solo over a song that already exists etc. I think just a basic thing will do though, just like the GP4 jam we did.

Well, I have a Behringer V-Amp 2, so that should work fine as far as effects go. But what adapter do you mean?

A V-Amp will be fine. Epi used his one his cover of Touch Like Angel of Death and it's great.

Adaptor:

http://home.earthlink.net/~wb5rex/xtalman/big2smladap.JPG

yeah, i dont think i can participate because I do not have that adapter, and my speakers are directly in my computer, which would leave me with no place to hook the adapter up. Is there any kind of USB version of it, or like a USB port with an input for guitar?

yeah, i dont think i can participate because I do not have that adapter, and my speakers are directly in my computer, which would leave me with no place to hook the adapter up. Is there any kind of USB version of it, or like a USB port with an input for guitar?

Then buy one...they're not expensive.

And your speakers thing goes in a different slot.

I'll be in if you want me to be, although i can only record through mic atm but it doesn't sound too bad... i'm not the best player here but no harm in trying :p

Recorded this cover just using mic

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=681634

Almost the final version, gotta fix a few timings and maybe re-record some parts, someone is gonna do vocals on it too.

I think I'm in.

I see your Touch like angel of death cover is at #34 in the cover songs charts at mysoundclick, very nice cover too. My one is at 50 at the moment - would be better if we could see how many hits they got and/or votes, don't even know how it works... :p Also, got into making my own BT's now - cheers for the tutorial.

sounds cool idea <-Warheart-> if you need bass playing/shredding count me it too.

Would anyone be interested in a COBOT - guitarplayers's thread jam???

Actual playing though, not GP4 stuff like what I organised a few months ago in the TAB thread.

I'm in. What about the backing track, do you record one?

I have cool sounding blues backings in a-minor from an instructional book :D
We could "warm up" with that to see if everything works... opinions?