Guitar Player's Thread

Hard to say... Zappa was a genious and Steve Vai wouldn't play like he does if he hadn't been on the road with Zappa. Overall, Zappa was a great and versatile composer - But Steve Vai writes awesome songs too.

Well, in my honest opinion Vai is closer to "perfect" than any other player.

As much as I agree with the above statement, I prefer Zappa's unique, sporadic guitar playing over Vai's precision any day. Also, he was the ultimate composer.

yeah, that's why I asked. It's a hard call for some cuz Zappa kinda shaped Vai to be who he is now.

Sorry about the XXL letters, but I'm so happy! Finally after splitting with the demo half done we're going to finish the demo with my band and 3 songs already have vocals! We only lack vocals on 2 songs and then all the solos, and then of course mix and master, but we're fucking doing it! :kickass::kickass::kickass::
Awesome man, how are you recording the demo?

^There's a dude that we know that has an amateur studio. He has all the mics and stuff so he's recording and mastering the whole thing. So far we've done drums, guidance guitars, bass, and vocals for 3 of the 5 songs we're recording. Vocals should be done during this week and then I'll go in and record the real guitars with the final solos and everything. And then time for mix and master. The reason why we have made those guidance guitars is that the singer is off to study in a week and he won't be back until February or so, so I couldn's spend a lot of time with guitars, hence why I just recorded some quick 1st-2nd take guitars and improvised solos so he know where he has to sing. Then, when he's done, I'll go in and re-record the guitars.

And now please somebody pinch me or bite me or whatever, cos I must be dreaming :lol:

Not only are we finishing the demo, but singer is returing to the band (he's off in a week for 3 months, but he's a member once again and during his holiday time we'll try to squeeze in a couple of gigs) and original drummer (whose genuine instrument is guitar only that he can play everything and helped me out with drums when we were starting and then decided to stay) is coming back as guitarist to bring the strength of two guitars back to Binger Of Pain. Hell yes! That's what I call a nice day :lol:

Yep. Singer says he wants noone else to sing his lyrics and that he realizes that it was a stupid rant for a crappy gig, so he has asked me to come back, and old drummer is coming back as 2nd guitar player (he can play drums but his main instrument has always been guitar). A friend of mine is doing drums and we only lack bass player atm, but that's not difficult to find, actually I know 3-4 people who could do the job. So yeah, good times for me band-wise.

Well, today i started to build my amplifier:

P1011903.jpg

P1011904.jpg

Just worked a couple of hours on it, tomorrow i will finish the preamp board (that (half)empty board shown here above) and hopefully the poweramp board.

Hey guys i need some help, I bought a gold OFR but the nut isn't quite lining up. The screws have to be on a slight angle which doesn't let the nut sit flat. Any idea on what to do?
Edit: just kept the black one on, I'll get it done properly when i get it setup again.

so I found some jootube vids with the BLUE xiphos. it's fucking beautiful so I thought I'd share this one:

[youtube]vCHjpbBxZ8U&feature=related[/youtube]

^That makes me want a Xiphos.

I am dropping by the music shop on Wednesday to get some JJ EL34 tubes. :hotjump: It's going to be my first tube change...

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee355/arvoitus/Madamp/P1011903.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee355/arvoitus/Madamp/P1011904.jpg

Just worked a couple of hours on it, tomorrow i will finish the preamp board (that (half)empty board shown here above) and hopefully the poweramp board.
I could never do this, but I'm eager to hear first samples.

so I found some jootube vids with the BLUE xiphos. it's fucking beautiful so I thought I'd share this one:

[youtube]vCHjpbBxZ8U&feature=related[/youtube]

I'm a bit color-blind, so I can't really see the blue, but nice playing. :D

I could never do this, but I'm eager to hear first samples.
Well, it's really not that hard. You can download a step by step manual that explains everything how and what you have to solder/mount. Knowledge of amplifiers is not really required. But you will need some solder skills. I build 2 small distortion/overdrive units to "learn" to solder.

If you can follow a easy wiring schematic + solder accurate enough, you can do this. And enough patience so you don't rush and make stupid mistakes.

Anyway, the preamp + the powersupply board is finished.

P1011908.jpg

P1011919.jpg

P1011923.jpg

I hope i can mount all the parts in to the casing tonight, and i'm planning to start to do the wiring next thursday or friday.
This was the easy part, its a pain in the ass to do the wiring accurate.

Stone

Live @ Tavastia, Helsinki, Finland, 24th Oct 2008

†Download†

Setlist:

01. Intro: Finlandia
02. Real Delusion
03. Small Tales
04. Sweet Dreams
05. The Day Of Death
06. White Worms
07. Meat Mincing Machine
08. No Anaesthesia
09. Empty Corner
10. Back To The Stone Age
11. Overtake
12. Get Stoned
13. No Commands

Password: stoooooooooooooooone!!!

P1011903.jpg

P1011904.jpg

What is it supposed to sound like? Is it based of a certain amp, or are you just trying to build a "working" amplifier for fun? Is it going to be tube or solid state?

Sorry for all the questions, its just really cool!

Recorded this fun solo today. If the player doesn't work just click the link above the vid. :)

People should do more videos!:kickass:

Last edited by a moderator: