Guitar Player's Thread

What is it supposed to sound like? Is it based of a certain amp, or are you just trying to build a "working" amplifier for fun? Is it going to be tube or solid state?

Sorry for all the questions, its just really cool!
Uhm, the sound is described as crystal/fender clean and american high-gain. Something like a Soldano/rectifier i think. The preamp and stuff are based on existing amplifiers, but modified so that it would work/fit with each other.

For me it's very fun to build one :) It's just a kit so for myself so that i can try and learn lots of stuff about building and modding amplifiers.
Eventually i have some other goals, like building a JCM800 2203, a GP1000 and a SP1000.

Here we have the chassis with 1 tube holder installed:

And all 6 tube holders installed:

And to answer Lowbergs question: Tubes!

Damn, this is starting to look like an amplifier:

Power and output transformators installed + all inputs at the back:

And the first wire is already in position:

And this is how she is:

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this off the Sneap board. I know there are some Wintersun and Ensiferum fans here, myself included:

Edit: This might be old. I think I remember umosay mentioning a Wintersun demo.

For any Wintersun/Ensiferum fans!

I just found an old demo that Jari and Oliver Folkin did in 1997. The band was called Immemorial; they didn't release anything official, but this demo is pretty damn good!

The production sucks, and the drums were made using a drum machine, but it's still cool :kickass:

Also, check out the old version of Sadness and Hate, which was later put on the Wintersun album!

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?eei0zjcm0ht
Password: www.metalkind.net

^Hey thanks! I saw a thread of that very demo on an other forum, but the link had expired :( Great find :D

Also folks, what do you recon is the better Wood(s)?
I've been reading more about woods for guitars lately, as i've been contemplating on placing a Custom Order when i get out of the Airforce in 2010, but i'm not 100% sure of the woods. It all depends on if i can get this production model Edwards before they discontinue the line, which i bet they will pretty soon.
I want a quilted maple top, but thats really more for the aesthetics than the sound.

I have no idea how Ash(swamp or not) and some of the other woods sound. I have tried Maple, Mahogany and Alder(+ some cheaper woods, like basswood, but they're too "honky" for my preference, as i play a lot of rythm)

Ideally, it should sustain for as long as possible, give defined, but bright notes, and resonate pretty well. I use both clean and lead channels, for solos on both, so i need something thats pretty solid for both.

Any thoughts? Also share your prefered wood, and why, if you like!

Alder on a Strat with singles sounds nice. I like mahogany on a Les Paul with humbuckers. It really depends on what you are going for.

^Hey thanks! I saw a thread of that very demo on an other forum, but the link had expired :( Great find :D

Also folks, what do you recon is the better Wood(s)?
I've been reading more about woods for guitars lately, as i've been contemplating on placing a Custom Order when i get out of the Airforce in 2010, but i'm not 100% sure of the woods. It all depends on if i can get this production model Edwards before they discontinue the line, which i bet they will pretty soon.
I want a quilted maple top, but thats really more for the aesthetics than the sound.

I have no idea how Ash(swamp or not) and some of the other woods sound. I have tried Maple, Mahogany and Alder(+ some cheaper woods, like basswood, but they're too "honky" for my preference, as i play a lot of rythm)

Ideally, it should sustain for as long as possible, give defined, but bright notes, and resonate pretty well. I use both clean and lead channels, for solos on both, so i need something thats pretty solid for both.

Any thoughts? Also share your prefered wood, and why, if you like!

Mahogony with a Maple top I would go for! The maple top will give you the brighter notes and sustain and Mahogony will bring the chunk.

Different cuts of wood will sound different. Basically what guitar factories will do is they cut down a tree of a certain wood type and you have different parts of the tree. Some guy at the factory will literally bang on a tuning fork and press it to each cut of wood, if it resonates well it will go in the expensive pile and if it resonates not so good it will go in the cheaper pile. So you can play a cheaper guitar and a more expensive guitar both made out of the same type of wood and there will be tonal differences in the wood from each one.

Pickups are going to be your biggest changing factor in tone, I would start looking at what pickups you want as a basis for your sound and then look to woods second.

Here's a live video of Trivium playing Down From The Sky:
[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mIZpIejaDqI[/ame]

You can see Corey screaming that bit that everyone said was Matt (only because he does it in the video). I know Matt can scream, but I'm sure that bit is Corey on the album too.

Mahogony with a Maple top I would go for! The maple top will give you the brighter notes and sustain and Mahogony will bring the chunk.

Different cuts of wood will sound different. Basically what guitar factories will do is they cut down a tree of a certain wood type and you have different parts of the tree. Some guy at the factory will literally bang on a tuning fork and press it to each cut of wood, if it resonates well it will go in the expensive pile and if it resonates not so good it will go in the cheaper pile. So you can play a cheaper guitar and a more expensive guitar both made out of the same type of wood and there will be tonal differences in the wood from each one.

Pickups are going to be your biggest changing factor in tone, I would start looking at what pickups you want as a basis for your sound and then look to woods second.

Noted, thanks!
Indeed pickups are big factors, and i know even less of them :( I love EMG's for that, chunkychunk, but really only for that, for the use i described in my previous post i was thinking maybe some SD's, but i dont know the difference on them, and their site feel so vague(especially the samples). I'm not sure i can test them properly either, because of the woods and all that. Confusing stuff :s

+1 for the mahogany and maple top. Be sure to have a ebony fretboard also.

Thanks! And yeah i was going for ebony:D Hey, is pitch black ebony hard to get nowadays? I hear rumors of ebony being rather shit lately, but i wonder if this is production models only, or if it applies to customs as well?

Noted, thanks!
Indeed pickups are big factors, and i know even less of them :( I love EMG's for that, chunkychunk, but really only for that, for the use i described in my previous post i was thinking maybe some SD's, but i dont know the difference on them, and their site feel so vague(especially the samples). I'm not sure i can test them properly either, because of the woods and all that. Confusing stuff :s

Check out the soundsamples of the Bare Knuckle pickups homepage! I know that the mixing etc. is important too, but the basic sound of the Nailbomb for example is so great!

Here's a live video of Trivium playing Down From The Sky:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mIZpIejaDqI

You can see Corey screaming that bit that everyone said was Matt (only because he does it in the video). I know Matt can scream, but I'm sure that bit is Corey on the album too.

Yes, Corey has screamed live since the crusade, dude. Matt REFUSES to scream live because it "fuck's up my voice and it's stupid". Atleast that's what he commented in Guitar World once. I am sure Corey has some parts but i am also pretty sure 80% of the screams are Matt. I already knew he has Corey to scream...he's done that for a while. On songs where it has been Matt originally too...doesn't really matter. Matt has always done the screaming pre-crusade and that we know...then suddenly he wanted to stop.

I think this would be a compromise of him NOT WANTING to scream so he did it in the studio and then does not live maybe? I have no idea, neither do i really care. In the interviews it's just been said that "Matt went back to screaming again". If that pre-chorus bit is Corey.

Now that i hear it, scratch that shit! Corey's are alot darker and they fit more to the album screams...Don't take me for a asshole for my stubborness :lol: And yeah, i see no point in my text anymore since why couldn't they both have ? :lol: Also, Matt seems to scream live again anyway so.

so I found some jootube vids with the BLUE xiphos. it's fucking beautiful so I thought I'd share this one:

[youtube]vCHjpbBxZ8U&feature=related[/youtube]

Xiphos has become the official Necrophagist fan guitar :lol: I sincerely expected some Death fans to pop up with it playing stuff as until last year when the Stealth reapeared it was the most similar thing to a Stealth, but seems that I was wrong :lol:

Awesome playing, but I can't really see teh bl00.

Same here man, it looks more liek GREEN :err:

Agreed.

Pђoenix;7785446 said:
I'm not really one for fancy tops i.e flame/quilts but these kick ass.
resizeofesphrz800ctm012hf6.jpg

Fucking hot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhnntwCnq_8

Recorded this fun solo today. If the player doesn't work just click the link above the vid. :)

People should do more videos!:kickass:

I'll try and record something later on, now I gotta go and get some food, but I should be able to record a clip before going to class.

Found this off the Sneap board. I know there are some Wintersun and Ensiferum fans here, myself included:

Edit: This might be old. I think I remember umosay mentioning a Wintersun demo.

Cool! Thanks!

Welcome to Dean guitars, how can I help you?

:lol::lol::lol:

I want a 5150 or 6505 so bad, my Marshall DSL is pissing me off for metal tones :(

5150 and 6505 sound to muddy IMO. They are definately way more metal than Marshall DSL, but if you want something really good go with something more clear. But then again, I don't know your budget (therefore used Lee Jacksons ftw :p).
But Mesa and Engl I think beats the 5150 and 6505 times ten.

Lowberg has a GP-1000, no? So i guess it's not quite what he is looking for. And considering ENGL are as pricey probably as Mesa is in Europe in the US i don't know if he affords one. They are pretty cheap over here. 500€ for a used Thunder :zombie: