Guitar Player's Thread

Next year I'm gonna study music production.
I got half a year to prepare myself as well as I can for the entry tests.

I don't know a lot about music production, just the basics. How would I get better in that? Do you guys know any good courses/tutorials or something? Help and tips would be much appreciated.
Prepare yourself not to sleep for 70 hours straight, working on shit at the beginning to make money, and try to care about not becoming totally insane after 3 monthes. Then you'll be fine. Good luck.

It's a All Acess bolt on!

@Swabs: Could be i got sensitive skin. Doesn't cut in but the strings were so tense and sharp when they were in E it started hurting :erk:im used to thick strings in a low tuning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aM5OIVSmo0

I think the video speaks for itself.

Sorry my sucky playing. Can't play for shit...my fingers are totally shredded! :erk: The strings were so much thinner than the ones i normally use that they cut into my fingers. Tuning is E standard just some random riffing..i pretty much failed at many spots. Just the stock pickups V7 and V8 used.

Thought you were getting a hellraisero_O

Short review(going to be long either way when i fire away)

Ibanez MTM2 Black Mick Thomson Signature.

Specs:

RG Shaped body
24 Frets
Neck: Bolt-on. 5 pcs Maple with Rosewood fretboard.
Pickups: V7/V8
Bridge: Edge 3 Fixed bridge
Ibanez Tuners
Single volume control(No tone controls)
2x Humbuckers with a 5 way blade switch.
Specials: Tuning Locks to make the tuning extremely stabile.
Made in Fucking Indonesia!
Also White binding on body and neck!
No inlays either...just plain fretboard!

Quality/Finish/Set-up:

Very nice. Has a really nice paintjob and seems to be pretty solid. The Rosewood fretboard looks very good. Not too light,not too dark and seems to be pretty smooth and dense. It's setup was merely okay, the pickups were very high so i needed to lower those because the strings would flap them when i palm muted. Apart from that it was fine. I did install some Schaller Strap locks on it so it will be safe and not fall or anything! The only thing that actually is recognized as the "signature features" on this one is the Edge Fixed bridge which only Mick Thomson has,the tuning locks (although it's fixed) and "SEVEN" on the truss rod cover. All in all, you probably won't get stamped as a fanboy or something immediately as you would with a MTM1 where there is a fucking large text saying "SEVEN" on the fretboard.

Playability and sound:

The playability is Ace! Really love the neck and it's really smooth to play. It's a bit stiff right now since i swapped in my heavy duty strings so they need to be worn in to loose that metallic feel and sound. I really love the fact it has no tone control but just a simple Volume/Pickup switcher setup...this is exactly how i like it. Wouldn't do anything with the damn tone knob anyway!!!
The V7/V8 pickups are not bad at all. They have more bass than EMG 81 and generally less gain and crunch. They also don't have quite the piercing high end but that could well be my new tubes (I switched in JJ EL34s in my Randall and my amp got dark as donkey kongs shit!!! Not necessarily bad but a bit muffled). They are very chunky and not that muddy. It would need a bit more gain and crunch in the low end section though. The tuning locks are awesome...i actually played with it by mistake before even tightening the tuning lock screws because right out of the box the screws were just loose and it still held it's tune. The Edge Fixed bridge really does make a difference in how it feels to play...it's pleasantly low and comfortable and it's very easy to adjust action on it. Only thing that probably is going to be a bitch is the intonation! The fret acess on this one is awesome as on any Ibanez guitar!!!

Final thoughts:

This is a really nice guitar and i am happy to have added this with my Jackson. It looks nice,sounds pretty nice and is good to play. Only complaints would be that i would like to have EMG 81/60 set instead of the V7/V8 but i can't expect this for 460€ can i?

Overall score: 8½ or 9.

I also bought a Line 6 Pod studio. Will record with it tomorrow hopefully. Just need to find a "headphone to 1/4 plug converter" So i can have a monitor.

I think his is the 87,
Is the ENGL E840/50 a good power amp? Anyone know a cheap place to buy it? (Roope and Alexi's tone on To Hell and Back fucking rocks)

I would assume so. It's a damn expensive amp though. Correct me if i am wrong but doesn't Muhammed Suicmez use that one aswell?

is it siccc? lol

Oh and InnuenDo, my lee Jackson was made in 87 but its the crossover model with the 88 circuitry (XLR outputs blocked off ect..)
I'm probably not going to sell it though just because they are vintage units.

I'm working a shitload this week to make some extra money for my basement studio I want to build.

The drum mics I want to buy are going to be 600-800 bucks all together, I'm building my own mic cables which wont cost alot.
I'm buying a better interface so i can actually record the drum mics which is going to be another 500 bucks.

Plus all the wiring I need and and the drywall and building materials i need to actually build rooms in my basement for recording. Plus wood for the floors and wall panels and soundproofing/absorption/diffusion materials :(

I need to win the lottery or somthing lol

is it siccc? lol

Oh and InnuenDo, my lee Jackson was made in 87 but its the crossover model with the 88 circuitry (XLR outputs blocked off ect..)

I'm working a shitload this week to make some extra money for my basement studio I want to build.

The drum mics I want to buy are going to be 600-800 bucks all together, I'm building my own mic cables which wont cost alot.
I'm buying a better interface so i can actually record the drum mics which is going to be another 500 bucks.

Plus all the wiring I need and and the drywall and building materials i need to actually build rooms in my basement for recording. Plus wood for the floors and wall panels and soundproofing/absorption/diffusion materials :(

Pretty much :lol: I must say i used to hate Slipknot but nowadays i even listen to them :lol: It seems when i saw them live i became a fan haha! I really like the guitar though.

And i hope you win the lottery lowberg :lol:...or that god takes a dump on you that is entirely made of money!

bahh I need money to start building and buy equipment for my studio

...I'm thinking about selling my peavey classic 50 and my GP-1000 :erk:

If you decide to sell the GP model, I would be interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aM5OIVSmo0

I think the video speaks for itself.

Sorry my sucky playing. Can't play for shit...my fingers are totally shredded! :erk: The strings were so much thinner than the ones i normally use that they cut into my fingers. Tuning is E standard just some random riffing..i pretty much failed at many spots. Just the stock pickups V7 and V8 used.

Congrats dude! I hope you enjoy it! BTW, did it have inlays or not? I don't remember :lol:

is it siccc? lol

Good luck with it dude :lol:

I must say that if you build that then I'm reeeeeeeeally looking forward what you can record in there, because if with your actual equipment you get such kickass recordings that done in a studio will be epic!

Paul Gilbert Will Reunite RACER X!

I am happy to bring you some good news:

RACER X - LIVE!

Here are the details:

This coming January, Ibanez guitars is celebrating the 20th anniversary of my PGM guitar with a concert at the NAMM show.

Andy Timmons and his band will open the show, followed by a set from my solo band, followed by...

RACER X!!!

The venue is the Sheraton Park Ballroom. Tickets will not be sold to the general public, but must be obtained through Ibanez guitars.

It is very exciting for me to be the featured artist for Ibanez this year, so I am glad that I can do something special for this concert. I can't think of anything better than a killer set of RACER X!

The RACER X line-up will be Jeff Martin, Juan Alderete, Scott Travis, and myself.

I can't wait to play some killer heavy metal with my favorite metal band!

Thank you,

Paul

:kickass::):OMG::heh::worship:blush::headbang::cool::p:Smokin:

Wow, that's totally awesome! I guess Earth Breather who was attending namm would get to see them :eek:

That's more than amazing. It would be great if they played additional shows for normal mortals in the rest of the world. If they don't do it I'll cry, because then the whole thing would be useless for me.

And how awesome is the whole billing?
1. Andy Timmons :worship:notworthy
2. PG Solo :worship:notworthy:worship:
3. Racer X :worship:notworthy:worship:notworthy

Hi dudes/dudettes. I finally got myself a soundclick-profile : http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=895726

I uploaded 2 small clips of my sloppy first adobe audition tests and 1 backing track which I finished today. The backing track still needs much tweaking, the strings have a shitload of echo (too much) and some sounds are weird. I'll be sure to update here when I get something recorded. edit: damn typos

that rules about racer x! I wish they would play more than one show though haha

And Nikon87 I like your stuff! Its pretty sweet! Alcoholocaust is awesome, I want to hear the rest of that song!

In 2 hours I have to back to my old job working at this big grocery store here, I'm not looking froward to it. Grocery stores are absolutely off the wall around Thanksgiving in the U.S and I'm going to be stuck there for like 7 hours today :(
Maybe I will throw a 20lb turkey at unruly customers :lol: I always have really wanted to start a giant food fight in the store when I finally decide to quit.

I got Line 6 Pod Studio up and runnning and it's awesome! I also got Reaper,Cakewalk Sonar Studio and EZ Drummer running now. I am going to use primarily Reaper and EZ Drummer i guess. Splendid programs! I did however have alot of problems with EZ Drummer but Muffin helped me out so thanks to that :kickass: It turned out it it was easiest to handle with Reaper and that Reaper in general is the best and simpliest program to put together stuff with. The POD Studio works excellent...the replacement for Gearbox (POD Farm) Is good too but as i was used to Gearbox i was a bit confused at first. This one is a bit more Amplitube/Revalver influenced in how it looks. It's logical to handle and you can like put up a own rig so you can see which parts you are running there all the time and quick access to the tweaking of them aswell. Only thing i didn't like was how you handle the presets. (Where the fuck is the user presets catalogue?!).

Does anyone have Bass VST?

Paul Gilbert Will Reunite RACER X!

:kickass::):OMG::heh::worship:blush::headbang::cool::p:Smokin:

Fucking kickass! I really hope Earth Breather gets to see them and can record some vids for us, that's bound to be fucking amazing! And I also hope that it makes Racer X get back for at least a nice tour for us, it'd be fucking great!

It's AWESOME! It has no inlays...only the side markings so you can see where you are. I am going to re-install windows XP and format my HD so i can start recording shit!!!!

Nice! Now RECORD RECORD RECORD!