Guitar Player's Thread

Based on the simple fact that guitar is a mid range instrument. Cut the mids, cut the sound. It plainly sucks no matter what you do. It doesn't give you a 'tight' tone - it masks your untight playing. Two things that death/thrash metal guitarists do wrong: Scoop the mids, add too much gain.

Yes, yes, yes. But I agree with Ensi's fix, most mature guitar players I know pay attention to these more than obvious facts.

Necromancer and Marfal, I don't know if you play any gigs or if you rehearse. But in my opinion and with logical thinking nearly all guitar players who play a lot in bands come to the conclusion, that extreme scooping of the mids is very bad for the overall sound.

EDIT: Of course playing at home alone is a completely different story.

Oops, didn't mean to sound like *every* death/thrash metal guitar player does that :D I meant, when they're starting to play, they always do that wrong.

always is so-so. But I remember doing it too - and it does giver a cleaner sound, especially if you have a crappy sounding amp :p. But if you're just practicing at home you probably wont experience getting lost in the mix - 'cus you're probably playing along with a much higher sound than the backing track.

My little sister who has been playing a year or so loves high gain and scooped mids. I try to tell her the obvious, and why it doesn't work - but she doesn't care :p. I guess you'll have to experience things first hand. I did too before realising.

Yes, yes, yes. But I agree with Ensi's fix, most mature guitar players I know pay attention to these more than obvious facts.

Necromancer and Marfal, I don't know if you play any gigs or if you rehearse. But in my opinion and with logical thinking nearly all guitar players who play a lot in bands come to the conclusion, that extreme scooping of the mids is very bad for the overall sound.

EDIT: Of course playing at home alone is a completely different story.

Not sure if any of you ever play marshalls but the knobs don't do shit.

Even on my gp1k, 0 or dimed, same shit. Mid city baby.

:lol:

Ok fellow players, advice time: I want a head, but I want to get a good one. I really like the ENGL Powerball, but it's damn expensive, and I've also though about the Peavey 6505 and the Engl Fireball, but Fireball seems a bit weak, is that true or is it still badass? I would like it to be not more than 1200, except in the case of the Powerball, where I would make an exception and take a bit of extra money and get it :)

Any ideas??

so im pretty sure im gonna buy a used peavey xxx head, they're fucking awesommeeee

Good for you! I've tried looking for one but I've had no luck, and don't wanna get the Buguera version cos I don't really know if they're trustable.

Based on what?. I agree scooping mids makes you dissapear more easily in the mix but it gives a tighter tone, and it fits well for death/thrash metal..

I play death metal and I have mids at 7-8, treble at 8-9 and bass at 3-4, gain usually at full cos my head doesn't have much gain and I used to be the only guitarist on my band, I like reverb too, but I can't use too much or it turns into a huge fucking mess :lol:

A fireball is badass enough, our other guitar player plays one. Perhaps you remember that I have the Powerball, so I can make a direct comparison.

The fireball is loud enough if your band plays at a reasonable volume (what you owe your ears btw). In clubs, at shows etc. your cab will be miced (in most cases) so you won't need a 100W amp.
So the volume is not an important factor here, the headroom maybe. The Powerball has more headroom and therefore sounds a bit better to my ears. Other people say that a tube amp must be cranked to it's end to sound good, these people should go with the Fireball. But keep in mind that modern amps are not really constructed to be cranked up all the way.

The powerball is very flexible and the clean sound is wonderful for a "metal amp". The clean sound of the FB is good too, but it's not as clear as the PB one, my feeling says. The FB is not flexible at all compared to the Powerball. Perhaps you say that you don't need it, but it's better to have it and don't need it than to...bla

The Peavy is a one trick pony imo, but it does it pretty good. The distortion of the Peavy is very different from the PB distortion, you HAVE to test the amps. It might be easier to get a cutting sound on the Peavy, the PB sounds more warm and round to my ears.

You won't get away without testing.

^I would add, the fireball seems more 'raw'. I mean, whereas the powerball has tons of stages and filters and whatnot, the fireball has a more traditional approach. If you want raw distortion, you should give it a try. And don't let the 50W figure deceive you - our ears don't perceive volume in a linear manner. It's almost as loud as 100W.

:lol::lol::lol:

You should go to HCAF to bitch about mids like all the other pretentious douches over there.

In what twisted universe does 'douche' constitute an insult? :p

Your tone is bollocks. When you grow up, you'll realise it's the truth.

^I would add, the fireball seems more 'raw'. I mean, whereas the powerball has tons of stages and filters and whatnot, the fireball has a more traditional approach. If you want raw distortion, you should give it a try. And don't let the 50W figure deceive you - our ears do perceive volume in a linear manner. It's almost as loud as 100W.

Yeah, the distortion of the FB is really a bit more raw and less round than the Powerball.

I'm sure it does, I just dime everything.

Including the volume.

But it doesn't react to eq changes like a 5150 or Recto.

Well, the problem is, you're looking for an equalizer in the bass, mid, treble knobs. Turns out that's not how these "vintage" design amps work. If you analyse the circuit, it's more like... the bass knob controls the lowest frequency you want (it's a variable cutoff high pass filter). The treble knob controls the volume of the treble part (works the way you want), BUT, when you lower the bass knob, it will raise the cutoff frequency (i.e., the less bass, the more trebly your treble gets). The mid knob is similar to the bass knob, except you control the upper cutoff frequency AND the volume. That is, if your mid control is up, it raises the volume of a broader midrange, if it's low, it's a smaller midrange that's getting attenuated. It's a crappy design, to be fair, but it's simple enough.